Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gorky 17 for Linux was ported illegally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorky 17 for Linux was ported illegally?

Hi

One of the developers want to release the Wine version of Gorky 17 for Linux/Mac and he presented controversial remarks about Gorky 17 for Linux which was ported by Hyperion and Published by LGP:

we released today a Wine port of Gorky 17 for Mac OSX. Please choose primary graphics adapter on start. The Intro and FMVs are disabled on the Mac version, because the very old codec used in G17 is not supported by actual OSX versions. If there is a demand, we will try to convert the videos.

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
    Hi

One of the developers want to release the Wine version of Gorky 17 for Linux/Mac and he presented controversial remarks about Gorky 17 for Linux which was ported by Hyperion and Published by LGP:

we released today a Wine port of Gorky 17 for Mac OSX. Please choose primary graphics adapter on start. The Intro and FMVs are disabled on the Mac version, because the very old codec used in G17 is not supported by actual OSX versions. If there is a demand, we will try to convert the videos.

It doesn't look like he's claiming that now, later on in the thread. He's also got the whole notion of who to talk to WRONG on this. Even if it was subbed out, you'd need to talk to Runesoft- and a WINE version's probably not a good idea. Now...if I could get access to the code, I'm pretty sure I can sort out a clean-up for OSX and Linux in a short time. Moreover, you need to talk to the publisher if they're a going interest and the original rights holder in the bigger scheme of things if you want a new update for Linux. Unfortunately, if I did it, I won't be able to allow it out for free- but if the rights story was good and we pushed it out via GoG/Steam/etc. getting the "update" would be cheap and subsequent updates as long as I was a going interest would be appropriately for nada.

Comment

As soon as people called him out on who could actually SUE him over his remarks, he changed his tune, if you'll notice.

Many people aren't properly circumspect in their remarks. I am. Had to be to be a CTO which I was at one point.

Comment

Oh, dear LORD...

" In case we have the source code (and get it compiled), we will try to make a native port. In most cases we need to use Wine. "
        1. If you don't have the source code, you DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHTS TO PUBLISH.
        2. If you don't have the source code, you're NOT a developer. You're a modder at best.
        3. If there's a rights holder around, there will be SOMEONE that will sue you over this.
        The Linux port has LGP as the rights holder to the port in question with it devolving to Runesoft, followed by the original studio/publisher. The OSX version has a very similar story.

If he's not representing those entities (saying they're talking with their lawyers...), or the original studio (You would have the source code...hint...hint...) or the publisher (which would NOT be making "WINE ports" this way...and would likely have some way to get the source code...), then you're someone pretending to be a developer for the game and full of themselves, to be BRUTALLY BLUNT.

There's a reason why Ballistics isn't out on GoG right now, even though I want it to be. (I have assets and source code to that...)
        There's a reason why Bandits:Phoenix Rising isn't out on GoG right now, even though I want it to be.
        (I have assets and source code to that...)
        There's a reason why Disciples II isn't out on GoG for Linux right now, even though I want it to be. (Random and
        I have assets and source code to that...)

We can't find the rightsholder to get permission by way of a derivative works license to do so. We have code...they've said they don't.

Without CODE, you're not a dev for this title. You might be for the studio, but that's questionable. Guy's got balls to try to claim that the ports were illegally done with his current circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post

It doesn't look like he's claiming that now, later on in the thread. He's also got the whole notion of who to talk to WRONG on this. Even if it was subbed out, you'd need to talk to Runesoft- and a WINE version's probably not a good idea. Now...if I could get access to the code, I'm pretty sure I can sort out a clean-up for OSX and Linux in a short time. Moreover, you need to talk to the publisher if they're a going interest and the original rights holder in the bigger scheme of things if you want a new update for Linux. Unfortunately, if I did it, I won't be able to allow it out for free- but if the rights story was good and we pushed it out via GoG/Steam/etc. getting the "update" would be cheap and subsequent updates as long as I was a going interest would be appropriately for nada.
          I sent e-mail to Runesoft, but I didn't receive the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
            I sent e-mail to Runesoft, but I didn't receive the answer.

Runesoft's a small player and they may be waiting for something conclusive from LGP since they're kind-of a Zombie right at the moment- or they're busy as heck (considering the workload they have...heh...). Not everyone's convinced they're done trading or not. Knowing how some companies went for numerous years, almost zombie-like, not having stopped trading, but yet not really DOING anything either- while I'm acting as if they're done, I'm treading cautiously. For the titles where parties did works for hire, the rights to the derivative work fall to those parties. But to be able to publish said derivative work, you will need a license from the current primary rightsholder(s), else it's an Infringement. Not dabbling in that. I'm working on getting those rights retained for the three aforementioned titles along with whatever else I may be able to retain/obtain rights to.

Comment

Working...
            X