No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Went Up A Tiny Amount In September, Still Less Than 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I'm waiting for Insurgency to be released on Linux, they've already got it ported to the Mac...

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post

Yeah, yeah... Linux sucjks. Funny how the Steam client works fine for me on my 2 Gentoo installs (UEFI based gaming laptop and an old X58 Desktop with a Intel Xeon X5650) isn't it??

The real problem is the crappy game ports we see constantly these days on Linux. Bioshock Infinite has annoying pauses every few seconds... With a gaming laptop with dual Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (1Tb), Intel Core i7-4710HQ @ 2.50GHz, and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M - that shouldn't really be happening...
      I managed to find the problem. Downloading Shadow of Mordor now ...

Comment

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post

I managed to find the problem. Downloading Shadow of Mordor now ...
        Getting 20 FPS average at 1080p in Linux, lowest settings.
        Getting 58 FPS average (nearly vsync rate) at 1080p in Windows 10, very high settings.
        AMD R9 390, Catalyst 15.9, kernel 4.0.5
        Last edited by Guest; 03 October 2015, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post
          Getting 20 FPS average at 1080p in Linux, lowest settings.
          Getting 58 FPS average (nearly vsync rate) at 1080p in Windows 10, very high settings.
          I think we found the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

I think we found the problem.
            What do you mean exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by &lt;&lt; ⚛ &gt;&gt; View Post
              Linux is too fragmented. The Steam client doesn't work on Gentoo.
              I'm using Gentoo and it works fine.
              Last edited by mmstick; 03 October 2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by &lt;&lt; ⚛ &gt;&gt; View Post
                What do you mean exactly?
                AMD gives you great directX performance. In directX performance your GPU is faster than a GTX 970.
                But very poor openGL performance (both on proprietary and open drivers). Most of the time CPU bottle-necked and the numbers tend to look ridiculous when you know what the hardware is capable of.
                Last edited by humbug; 04 October 2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  AMD gives you great directX performance. In directX performance your GPU is faster than a GTX 970.
                  But very poor openGL performance (both on proprietary and open drivers). Most of the time CPU bottle-necked and the numbers tend to look ridiculous when you know what the hardware is capable of.
                  If it also happens with the open/mesa driver where is the time being spent?

Comment

Originally posted by CapsAdmin View Post

If it also happens with the open/mesa driver where is the time being spent?
                    I guess people use mesa drivers for ideological reasons, not for performance. A lot of people will only compare the open drivers to other open drivers, not to closed ones or to what the hardware is actually capable of.

I wonder if AMD's openGL performance can ever become as good as it's directX performance?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                      I guess people use mesa drivers for ideological reasons, not for performance. A lot of people will only compare the open drivers to other open drivers, not to closed ones or to what the hardware is actually capable of.

I wonder if AMD's openGL performance can ever become as good as it's directX performance?
                      I'd also like to use mesa instead of nvidias proprietary drivers because if I see something that's performing slowly or not working according to the opengl specifications I could make an issue report and try to work with developers in order to fix it. But also for ideological reasons of course.

With intel hd5500 there seems to be a little difference but not much. However in my own application I've found nvidia's opengl implementation to be a lot faster on linux than on windows.

I think it mostly comes down to how you use opengl. Although in amd's case it seems their driver isn't as great too. However I'm not sure how that translates to mesa.

There are directx wrappers (wine too) that might show some interesting results. If a game performs better under wine it most likely has something to do with how they use opengl.

Comment

Working...
                      X