Steam Linux Usage Went Up A Tiny Amount In September, Still Less Than 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

People in this forum need a lesson in statistics.
    Well, I dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows 10 and would like to see the survey consistent no matter the OS. I generally play the Linux version unless it is a port that runs much better on Windows (like Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite), but the majority of games are not on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by adakite View Post
      This what I told twice (at least) Michael to report rather than "%", which are not that useful.
      Actually % is very useful, if it is with regards to a baseline. Like % of the number of users in 01-01-2013. I cannot see any meaningful percentages in platform.

Comment

people in all forums - especially in reddits gaming on linux ... in comparison this forum is a wealth of statistical knowledge...

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
          Actually % is very useful, if it is with regards to a baseline. Like % of the number of users in 01-01-2013. I cannot see any meaningful percentages in platform.
          well, it would be more useful than percentages in platform, but absolute numbers would still be more interesting.

(btw, these "< 1% Linux users" we had since forever were about 1,15 million people in mid august, according to https://twitter.com/steam_spy/status/633537630727180288 - even if that seems insignificant next to 130mio windows gamers, it's more people playing on Linux than I could have imagined 10 years (or even 5) ago)

What would also be interesting is percentage of people buying games with Linux ports on/for Linux vs all people owning that game on Steam. In the end game devs don't care that much how many people with what platform use Steam (possibly only to play one or two games that require it), but how many actually *buy* games there.

Comment

Linux is too fragmented. The Steam client doesn't work on Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by &lt;&lt; ⚛ &gt;&gt; View Post

Comment

I think this is a valid question. I sort of switched to linux after windows 10 and I have yet to see the hardware survey but when I go back to windows to do something windows specific it tends to pop up.

Comment

I've spent the last two days trying to get it to work on Gentoo, only to realize that there's some issue with the libdbus that they include with the steam-runtime. The solution is to remove the line starting with "ConnectCache" in ~/.local/share/Steam/config/config.vdf and to uncheck "Remember my password". Yeah, it's a horribly hackish solution, but it should work for now until they fix that problem.

EDIT: And if you're using mesa, you also want to delete the libstdc++ bundled with steam-runtime:
                  Code:
                  rm -f ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6*
                  rm -f ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6*
                  Last edited by daemon32; 02 October 2015, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
                    Well, I dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows 10 and would like to see the survey consistent no matter the OS. I generally play the Linux version unless it is a port that runs much better on Windows (like Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite), but the majority of games are not on Linux.
                    What about Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite is "better" when running on Windows vs. Linux? Are the features different? Or do they perform differently for you? I've run both on Linux and Windows, and both run great, with smooth high frame rates. This is on an Opteron 4386 & GTX Titan.

Comment

Yeah, yeah... Linux sucjks. Funny how the Steam client works fine for me on my 2 Gentoo installs (UEFI based gaming laptop and an old X58 Desktop with a Intel Xeon X5650) isn't it??

The real problem is the crappy game ports we see constantly these days on Linux. Bioshock Infinite has annoying pauses every few seconds... With a gaming laptop with dual Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (1Tb), Intel Core i7-4710HQ @ 2.50GHz, and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M - that shouldn't really be happening...

Comment

Working...
                      X