Alien Isolation Is Just The Latest NVIDIA-Only Linux Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grigi View Post
    This shit must stop. Really Feral. Unacceptable. Learn to dev on non-nvidia cards.
    Please elaborate: how to learn to develop for unusable bullcrap shit drivers*?

* focusing on AMD proprietary here

Comment

Originally posted by pythoneer View Post

Please elaborate: how to learn to develop for unusable bullcrap shit drivers*?

* focusing on AMD proprietary here
      Ah i see. It's a bug in all the other games which make them support AMD quite well. ;-P

Comment

Cool, I have something to play when I finish SOMA.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
          This shit must stop. Really Feral. Unacceptable. Learn to dev on non-nvidia cards.
          Why in the world would anyone who's interested in gaming on Linux be using an AMD gpu? It's not like it's a brand new development that AMD sucks for gaming on Linux. This has been true for years. Is Feral supposed to wave some kind of magic wand to make AMD performance acceptable? You might as well complain about the fact that the game won't work on an old i486.

Comment

I'm more interested in how it performs on RadeonSI, by the time it comes out mesa 11 should be in the main Arch repos with any luck.

Comment

SteamVR support would be cool and make me buy this when I get steamvr. ( I saw occulus support already in 2014 )

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Ah i see. It's a bug in all the other games which make them support AMD quite well. ;-P

Yes, AMD works great.

See, this is the problem.

Game devs port from DX to the OpenGL equivalents - and those equivalents are either missing in Mesa, or actively do the wrong thing in FGLRX. Who gets the blame? The porter, apparently. Their options are: ship with only NVIDIA capital-S Supported for the time being (then later offering support for AMD and Intel once those drivers are fixed), holding back the game release until the above happens, or making potentially dramatic rewrites to a game's graphics engine (or simply not using certain features) to avoid the problematic modern features.

(And before you ask, the above screen is GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc not working on AMD "Terascale" hardware on Catalyst older than 15.7 - this is the issue. The game devs *are* reporting the issues to AMD, as they find them, but there's a minimum 3 month lead time on report->fix. We know that Catalyst 15.9 includes fixes for this game, for example)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                  Once again it is a title of AMD's Gaming Evolved program that has problems with AMD cards on Linux. Aren't they embarrassed enough, yet?
                  This is exactly what surprises me the most.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

True story bro.
                    Unigine works ok with catalyst, I really don't understand what/where is the problem. Are they using Nvidia only extensions?
                    The sad reality about OpenGL is that you need to test/profile your code on your target hardware/drivers. Some things that are fast on Nvidia might tank on AMD/Intel. To make things even more fun, Nvidia allows nonconformant behavior for "maximum compatibility with broken applications". And there is of course the issue with driver quality and game specific optimizations, where Nvidia is uncontested leader.

As long as Feral and co can't be arsed to test their ports on AMD/Intel hardware, they are always going to suck on those GPUs.

Comment

I think AMD are giving up on Catalyst at this point, the message I get from the recent talks is that it should be considered legacy. I don't think they're going to sink much effort into sorting it out, it's there for the current workstation users only. I think they're concentrating on AMDGPU going forward and abandoning Catalyst.

It's a position I'm ok with because I have a GPU that's well supported and capable on the open-source driver, and if AMDGPU turns out to be fantastic then I'm willing to buy a new GPU to use it. But I suppose it sucks if you want to use Catalyst for gaming.

Comment

Working...
                      X