Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Graphics Cards For Linux Gaming With The Best Value & Efficiency At Higher Resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Graphics Cards For Linux Gaming With The Best Value & Efficiency At Higher Resolutions

Phoronix: The Graphics Cards For Linux Gaming With The Best Value & Efficiency At Higher Resolutions

Last week I published The Best, Most Efficient Graphics Cards For 1080p Linux Gamers while today are some complementary results with an assortment of NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon graphics cards while running all tests at 2560 x 1440 as a more demanding scenario than last week's results.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Similar is what i do, i switched to Catalyst because of recent improvments for games, let say ... not much time used it (preferred radeon), but i will see how that goes.

I may revert to opensource drivers once somebody remove nine from a project (i will not even read bugzilla anymore with a bit of that nonsense there) from mesa and start improving opengl. That is Major Bullshit that happens with opensource drivers, but there are many minor bullshits too no one cares enough about

At last i also removed llvm only user is radeon... i don't even realise how much i hate that dragon pipe
    Last edited by dungeon; 21 September 2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Similar is what i do, i switched to Catalyst because of recent improvments for games, let say ... not much time used it (preferred radeon), but i will see how that goes.

I may revert to opensource drivers once somebody remove nine from a project (i will not even read bugzilla anymore with a bit of that nonsense there) from mesa and start improving opengl. That is Major Bullshit that happens with opensource drivers, but there are many minor bullshits too no one cares enough about

At last i also removed llvm only user is radeon... i don't even realise how much i hate that dragon

That last comment, I can't = !!! *facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
        That last comment, I can't = !!! *facepalm*
        = go and bisect my improper english, because i won't do it anymore

Comment

When I first read this article I thought now hurry up and comment "in before rants about AMD".

Comment

It's not like it wasn't expected. Good article though.

nVidia's drivers do have their share of bugs, and they aren't spec compliant with opengl, but they sure do perform good.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
              When I first read this article I thought now hurry up and comment "in before rants about AMD".
              At least "ranting" is usefull here, you should read it as AMD lost 1.5 users Yes i am sitting on half chair right now, because i don't like things around opensource driver anymore...

Comment

At least "ranting" is usefull here, you should read it as AMD lost 1.5 users Yes i am sitting on half chair right now, because i don't like things around opensource driver anymore...
                Why not?

Nouveau is a great idea, it's just that there isn't enough manpower to RE every part of the graphics chipset in a timely manner. You got to give those guys credit for trying, they've done amazing considering the resources they have. It is too bad nVidia doesn't try to get them the documentation they need. Even if they did, they'd have to put money or employment on the table in order to get enough people interested, so these guys that do it without that is even more awesome.

They certainly deserve credit.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Why not?
                  All that feels depressing to me now, so not easy to explain... that somehow reminds me on Luc Verhagen story

Comment

All that feels depressing to me now, so not easy to explain... that somehow reminds me on Luc Verhagen story
                    Yeah, I'm familiar with it. He wasn't exactly wrong, he just was trying to do something the rest of the community wasn't ready for yet. Maybe someday he can come to terms and make a realistic dream come true in a realistic setting. RadeonHD was little more than a fantasy. It would have required that modesetting hardware never change from generation to generation. It's the only way it would have been able to keep up, and that was never a realistic expectation.

EDIT: It's like that saying goes, dream big, but expect little.

EDIT: If he had his way there wouldn't be any firmware blobs in use right now. That is certainly a dream worth having. But there also wouldn't be a usable open source driver right now. That's a dream not worth having. Even the Intel and nvidia OSS drivers need firmware blobs nowadays, he expected something that was never feasible.
                    Last edited by duby229; 21 September 2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X