Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by faph;n824400[USER="83794"
    GraysonPeddie[/USER]
    If you can afford it, I would go with the R7 260x it uses GCN 2nd generation (GCN 1.1).
    I don't want to have to upgrade my Seasonic SS-300ES Power Supply:

+5V Rail: 20A
    +12V Rail: 17A

So could I go with an nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti instead? I want a GPU with a TDP of 75W or less for not requiring a 6-pin power connector.

And AMD needs to get their butts in the Linux camp and get Hybrid Crossfire working with Catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post

Well Mac has more games for various reasons:

1- Steam was released earlier on that platform.

2- More dev tools are on Mac, so of course the devs will make games for that platform, specially if they own said hardware themselves. But Linux is now seeing dev tools appearing.

3- MacOS is actually shipping PREINSTALLED on Hardware. STEAMOS is yet to ship....

BUT ! ... , Valve has managed to get a lot of games for an OS that is not shipping on hardware yet. NO OTHER COMPANY (not even nintendo, sony or msft / apple or google) could probably PULL THAT OFF WITHOUT HAVING HARDWARE FIRST.

With engines / drivers improving, Vulkan and other tools, plus a few more years in Steam machines iterations, better hardware / deals, mass steam controller adoption, bigger catalog, VALVE GAMES GENERATION 3 (*WINK WINK*), then am sure SteamOS will definitely take off.

MSFT bleeded $ with the first XBOX, but Valve will virtually lose no $. VALVE will start with an already established base of raving linux and steam fanboys, a free and solid linux base for their OS, a big enough catalog and diversed hardware options. Plus again virtually no investment risk or expenses. It can't fail in the long term, even if they wanted.
      I couldn't agree more. And on top of that, so many people complain that steam machines are using generic computer hardware and not some sort of custom hardware, but by doing this it allows Valve's partners to use the computer components they have in stock, therefore dropping their cost of supporting SteamOs to close to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
        valve proved me that I was wrong. I was wrong when I thought that the only stopper for a large linux adaptation for a home users is lack of good games. it was my statement from 2007. what changed? ah, there was a gui "revolution" both in kde and gnome. maybe this?
        So a person has to take aktion to get a windows gaming pc migrated to linux. So how many people do you think replace the os of their computer? how many if they have a pc problem reinstall windows by them self, its a minority. and there they reinstall what they know already. But for what reason should a person install on a pc which works for gaming install linux. at best they have 0 advantage, at worst they can access less games.

Even me as a geek are very cautios in installing steamos on my gaming pc, first I have some games I could get problems, second I have a amd graphics card. so the first I would have to do is to buy a nvidia card (even I hate nvidia, but I hate Microsoft more).

So when will people switch to linux, when they buy new graphic cards maybe, when they buy a steam machine, when they would need to upgrade the windows they are just using, maybe when there come out more and more dx12 games, where they would have to install a new windows anyway.

The biggest point I think will be steammachines, but again there are other points where people will partialy migrate. Maybe I am the only one that has a separe gaming machine only for gaming, and has more than one pc in their home, but I doubt that, because how could a sane person work with windows as a gamestarter with steam its good enough but for everything else its torture.
        Last edited by blackiwid; 19 September 2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

As some one who has way too many games to actually play some of my favorites have been Brutal Legend, SRR SR Dragonfall and SRHK, Torchlight 2, Dust AET, Metro LL, L4D2, DOTA2, Counterstrike source and GO, and Worms Reloaded (I have always loved these games). Ones I have been the most disappointed in are Bioshock infinite (This game makes me motion sick even after I change the forced perspective), Satellite reign ( I couldn't get into this game at all, YMMV), Akenerio (expected soo much more), Dead island (soo many bugs), Planetary annihilation (couldn't get it to work). I literally own over a hundred games I haven't launched most not installed. Pillars I just never got into but it seemed like a decent RPG maybe someday I will care enough to reinstall it and try again....

Some of these games I just tested with catalyst (Brutal legend and Bioshock) and both ran playable I just wanted to hurl after 10 minutes with BS:I
          Most though I have played on the open sauce driver and with mostly good results (CS:GO had graphical glitches for like a year but it's all good now with some really decent performance).

Some games I have played and had good results with but aren't among my favorites are Strife (was part of beta), Bastion, Amnesia, Borderlands 2, Don't starve, Iesabel, Killingfloor, The Bard's Tale, Braid, Sparkle 2 evo, Gary's Mod, Tiny Keep and Witcher 2... All of them play tested and seem to hold up well on AMD hardware.

Hopefully, before I die, I get to play Divinity Original Sin as a backer I still really am sad I have 0 minutes played.

Steam for Linux has been a nasty distraction, workflow was better when cube or xonotic (forget what its name was back then) were the only reasons to twitch out... Sadly I would still fire up wine and play some things but the effort of making sure things worked made sure it was only when jones'ing terribad. Sad those good old productive days.

Comment

Unapproved message in the waiting... lovely... Addressing Blackiwid, the part with game pc being Linux vs Windows... If you're already a PC gamer and have a WIndows PC there is very little to want to make you switch. I am a Linux user, I think Windows is a painful experience and for me the choice is easy, I game on my PC that happens to be Linux. Sadly until Steam machines are a thing (God knows how well that'll even go) we're more like... ummm what's a good word? Niche? yeah we're all kinda a special group full of special people with special problems... no amount of games or AAA games are going to make people use Linux, Steam machines is another ballgame but that's neither here nor there... and until people get sick of catering to us I'm enjoying these games coming to us when before all we had were games made from old ID engines or simple 2d mario rip offs. We're in a much better way on that front.. and when people start realizing how bad windows is ( I have no faith in humanity here) the dozens of distros we all use are a playground privileged people like us get to enjoy. Comically I glad that we don't have many millions of moron Window users on Linux, they could fahk up a wet dream.

Comment

Originally posted by crystall View Post
              Are those games really native? I recently installed a small indie game (Oniken) and was surprise by the size of the installation on Linux: over 500MiB. It turned out that it had a packaged version of Wine that was used to run it. I wonder how many other "native Linux" titles are actually doing that.
              A few titles did that, they generally turned out terrible. Some even redid the entire port to make it native due the shitty quality of the wine wrapped port. None of the 50+ titles in my Steam catalogue are using Wine though. The worst any of them does is using Flash (Neo Scavanger), but apparently it does that on Windows too.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                A few titles did that, they generally turned out terrible. Some even redid the entire port to make it native due the shitty quality of the wine wrapped port. None of the 50+ titles in my Steam catalogue are using Wine though. The worst any of them does is using Flash (Neo Scavanger), but apparently it does that on Windows too.
                In my SteamOS library (currently 361 games), I have only a single game that's Wine wrapped (well, CrossOver to be exact); System Shock 2. Strangely, I don't see any source code. Wine uses LGPL2.1, so I believe it should be there...

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
                  In my SteamOS library (currently 361 games), I have only a single game that's Wine wrapped (well, CrossOver to be exact); System Shock 2. Strangely, I don't see any source code. Wine uses LGPL2.1, so I believe it should be there...
                  It doesn't have to be there, but you can request it if it's not, and they're required to give it to you--unless the LGPL is different from the GPL in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post

Don't have game, but they probably write somewhere: Version of crossover this http://media.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/source/

Eventually + patch this... blah, blah

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                      I don't want to have to upgrade my Seasonic SS-300ES Power Supply:

+5V Rail: 20A
                      If you have a good PSU with those specs, you can roughly guess what you can install:
                      50...150W for your CPU, 50W for the remainder of your PC, leaving 300W for your card.
                      But to be clear: I think you just have a single +12V rail, because the spec you gave is 500, and yet the name says 300W.
                      If you have a 300W PSU, and I guess the remainder of your pc is low spec too, so you will have about 180W for your card.

Comment

Working...
                      X