No announcement yet.

Steam Crosses 1,500 Games Natively Available For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's been your favorite Steam for Linux title?
    Where's the source code, free license and open development?
    Last edited by Calinou; 19 September 2015, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the statistics but not all of them is AAA title.

Comment

on one side I find it great that it gets better and better on the other side it shows that the industrie waits for the egg (users) before they deliver a big chicken (enough games). Because there was no gaming Macintosh pc and there will most likely never be one next 10 years, but there will be many hardcore gaming linux pcs with graphics cards from 200 to 1000 euro and special gaming linux pcs and still even that fact is known for 2 years now? Still there are more games for the apple office pcs.

So that shows that they could take it more serious, I think they miss calculate the grow rate / potential of that plattform, and in a way they could make themself right by not supporting it enough and it fails because of that. A self fullfilling negative prognose.

Again there is much light here, and I focus on the bad perspective but seeing that there are nearly 1000 more games for apple work only machines that have also very low user amount. Maybe this company are biased because in america more people use apple pcs but here very few do it and many of them have that only as work machine on their workplace, where they shure will not play games.

the 2% michael speculates about are only wild speculation, it could easy be 4% for all we now. Apple has 8% but it has basicle no reason to grow, people that bought no apple 2 years ago have no reason to buy them now or in 2 years. The amount of rich people shrink, so when at all the users buy it as work machine and get payed by their employer. they never will replace a windows pc or konsole with that hardware.

But whatever there is anough chicken to not stopp this, so the slow migrater will pay the price of that.

btw the amount of users alone says not so much, how many games do this users buy, and there I think macosx users dont pay so much per user:

Shortly after we published our giant sales report, Defender's Quest: By the Number, part 2 [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/186940/defenders_quest_by_the_numbers_.php] , the Steam Linux client officially went public and was accompanied by a site-wide sale. The Linux sale featured every single Linux-compatible game

thats from 2013 and only from one game, but maybe some find the numbers for more games because the amount of users alone is not important, the companies want to sell lisenses, and if they sell 10 games to 1 person or 10 games to 10 persons does not matter for them.
        Last edited by blackiwid; 19 September 2015, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Steam stopped to run on my comp for like a third time (I did have removed the gcc libs when it stop the first time).
          The second time I needed to reset user profile each time I run it...

Now I don't try to fix it anymore. I just run the games manually from the common folder and don't get new steam games.

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
            Steam stopped to run on my comp for like a third time (I did have removed the gcc libs when it stop the first time).
            The second time I needed to reset user profile each time I run it...

Now I don't try to fix it anymore. I just run the games manually from the common folder and don't get new steam games.
            Check this info, it covers how to fix most steam issues as a command to clean your steam installation from old libraries:

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

Check this info, it covers how to fix most steam issues as a command to clean your steam installation from old libraries:
              https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam
              Thank you.

I did not know about libxcb got to be deleted too. That did the trick!

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Yeah Talos is my favorite too, played all 3 endings and Gehenna... but would buy it for Playstation 4 for sure - hopping there would be some difference there
                Hey, don't spoil me the number of endings... Heh heh.

I'm planning to upgrade my graphics from my AMD A8-7600 APU just to get a little more performance out of it -- probably an XFX R7-250A-CLF4 Radeon R7 250 Graphics Card. However, I'm unsure if Dual Graphics work with AMD Catalyst 15.7 in Arch Linux.

(Eh... How do I paste text without formatting? Ctrl=V pastes text with formatting and I dont want the formatting from Amazon.com. To paste without formatting would be to manually type it out. Thanks.)

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  I'm planning to upgrade my graphics from my AMD A8-7600 APU just to get a little more performance out of it -- probably an XFX R7-250A-CLF4 Radeon R7 250 Graphics Card. However, I'm unsure if Dual Graphics work with AMD Catalyst 15.7 in Arch Linux.
                  You can have more performance with Catalyst in Talos if you rename binary to Borderlands2 (do not laugh, that just enable in driver threaded optimization) .

Dual Graphics is not supported on Linux.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 19 September 2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I'll say Torchlight 2, or maybe Strife. Both got me seriously hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
                      Thanks for the statistics but not all of them is AAA title.
                      Neither are the 6,400 Windows titles or 2,300 OS X titles.
                      That said, my current favourites are War Thunder (which doesn't require Steam, I know), XCOM, Portal 2 and Mark of the Ninja.

Comment

Working...
                      X