Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Linux become a common gaming platform or is it just a fad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Linux become a common gaming platform or is it just a fad?

Lately, Linux has gotten a lot of attention by developers, especially Valve and Aspyr, to start developing games on Linux along with Windows and Mac OSx. I am wondering what you all think about this. Do you think it's just a fad started because of Valve's initial hatred of Windows 8? What do you think is the future for Linux as a gaming platform and what is the biggest barrier developers have to overcome when developing games for Linux?

Originally posted by willieaames View Post
    Lately, Linux has gotten a lot of attention by developers, especially Valve and Aspyr, to start developing games on Linux along with Windows and Mac OSx. I am wondering what you all think about this. Do you think it's just a fad started because of Valve's initial hatred of Windows 8? What do you think is the future for Linux as a gaming platform and what is the biggest barrier developers have to overcome when developing games for Linux?

I think it's got some possible future. Fad? Hardly- because there've been moves in the past to get this going that were, quite frankly before their time. As for barriers...it's as much unfamiliarity with what makes it tick as it would be some of the engines aren't still on the platform (That's majorly changed in recent times...). There's little niggling gotchas like the scheduler doesn't work QUITE the same way as it did previously, making it interesting on some titles because the studio did something they probably ought not to have done and the Windows scheduler behavior or the D3D behavior mixed with the scheduler behavior masked an issue they didn't know they had. OpenGL drivers are another gotcha- but hopefully we'll see Vulkan get really established and make that problem just vanish.

Comment

The good thing is that VALVe is "fixing" Linux in a general sense, the same way Lennart and friends are doing with systemd. As Linus pointed out, VALVe might just save Linux as a desktop system.
      IMO we should get a good increase in usage once SteamOS is ready for release. Heck, right now we have more games than PS4 and XB1 combined! In the fiture we'll likely see a Crysis game that works on Linux, and with 100% certainty we'll have a few CODEMASTERS games too (F1? Possible).

As I see it, Linux is the future. Microsoft had it wrong with Windows 8, and they did even worse with Windows 10. And as it should have happened in 2012 this is the time for Linux users/devs to unite and make things easier for everyone to code on our platform, creating standards: one package format, one set of working libraries that are cross-distro compatible, one good audio system, etc.
      Last edited by Amarildo; 09-20-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X