Does anyone tested it with r600g ?

Leave a comment:

• philips
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by madjr View Post
    I think everyone who can purchase it should.

Is one of the most played steam games, next to GTA-V and SCROLLS-V Skyrim:

Top selling and top played games across Steam

So if this is successful maybe those will be NEXT!!

But this is not only for Arma3, but for linux gaming in general.

VP ports have come a long way and sometimes they out-perform the windows version with some of the settings, i.e. Dirt Showdown:

This video's focus for the benchmark and review are solely on the performance of Nvidia's driver with the native versions of Dirt Showdown on Ubuntu and Wind...

The thing is that VP could actually bring in many games faster, that have good enough performance on AAA, that would probably otherwise not be ported because of budget + not big enough linux share, etc..

With this even FALLOUT 4 is possible

We need as many games as possible fast if steam machines is going to gain any marketshare, else people will just take it back and ask for the "windows version" like it happened back in the netbook uptake.
    Heh...maybe. The problem with eON is that it's a wrapper that makes a BUNCH of presumptions of the environment and tries to make Linux act like Windows as far as the rest of the code is concerned. This isn't as simple as you'd think...and the The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings initial debacle was due to a missed bet on VP's part. It's actually a bit of a sin. A laziness in thinking and execution. Why do I say this?
    • 3D rendering is NOT intrinsically multithreaded. Each frame in the scene is not unlike a cartoon stop-action Cel. There's a choke point in the overall threads of execution wherein you STOP gather up the resources for the next frame and begin anew. Multithreaded rendering is only on Windows because of MICROSOFT's scheduler design problems. The costs of context switch and the like make it worth doing a full-on divide and conquer of the task, so if you're doing dynamic geometry, etc. it's only sensible, if you've got a lot of it, to make it fully multithreaded with the understanding that you are actually synchronous to the frame end. On Linux and OSX...that's not so much needed and trying to do it when they didn't need to do that and only recently added support for it because the spec added it...it's why they had the initial train wreck they did.
    • Many of the things Windows is because of the same sorts of problems I'm describing here. Things done precisely and specifically for speed on an OS never designed with any of this in mind. Some of it moves over to the Linux world...some of it very much doesn't and needs moderate or major re-thinking in how and when you do it.
    As for Fallout 4 being available...heh... Don't bet on it being any time soon (within the next year, most likely...)- ZeniMax is of the opinion that it's not worthwhile such that they stopped Id from doing it back when it was STILL so much so for them. Even eON working like a full-on champ out of box wouldn't convince them at this particular moment.

Some of that is based on Id's experience on Q3:A. And that came from people buying the Windows SKU and "patching" it to run on Linux- because they couldn't wait 3-4 weeks to lay hands on it for Linux. (It should be noted...I have one of those Loki Games edition Tins. I bought it FIRSTHAND and not on Clearance or at some place like Half Price Books...) I don't have quite the enthusiasm as you do madjr- or believe that it'll all magically work out as well as you believe it to. Having said this, while it's not QUITE in my best interests, professionally, I intend on buying things where I can where I think I might enjoy the title at least somewhat and send the right message there. DiRT will very probably get bought. Pillars WILL get bought. Wasteland 2 has already been bought as well as a raftload of others. I'm of mixed opinions on this. Bohemian should've not QUITE framed this in the way they did here. Why should I buy their title if they're not going to make this one available regardless? I'm NOT in the habit of spending money on things not likely to be delivered like this. Quick way to lose money on stuff. I'm keen on the whole thing if I have to buy a Windows SKU to beta the Linux version with the understanding that it became a Linux one the moment I joined the beta and that they're selling the damn thing after the end of the beta cycle. This? Hard sell. Me? I'm going to see if the Stepson wants it after I get done trying it out and if so, I'll buy it then. Not before, though. Hopeful, to be honest- he likes this sort of stuff.

Leave a comment:

• castlefox
    replied
    Sweet !!! I would love to play this game on linux one day.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    I think everyone who can purchase it should.

Is one of the most played steam games, next to GTA-V and SCROLLS-V Skyrim:

Top selling and top played games across Steam

So if this is successful maybe those will be NEXT!!

But this is not only for Arma3, but for linux gaming in general.

VP ports have come a long way and sometimes they out-perform the windows version with some of the settings, i.e. Dirt Showdown:

This video's focus for the benchmark and review are solely on the performance of Nvidia's driver with the native versions of Dirt Showdown on Ubuntu and Wind...

The thing is that VP could actually bring in many games faster, that have good enough performance on AAA, that would probably otherwise not be ported because of budget + not big enough linux share, etc..

With this even FALLOUT 4 is possible

We need as many games as possible fast if steam machines is going to gain any marketshare, else people will just take it back and ask for the "windows version" like it happened back in the netbook uptake.

Leave a comment:

• vegeta897
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    You didn't cheat. SSD's typically don't impact anything except level load times.
    Arma would be the exception to that
    Map data is streamed from the disk as you move around, it's not all loaded into RAM at once (the maps are too massive for that). SSDs are well-known for helping performance in Arma.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Mama View Post
    Hi all

Well, it looks promising :-)

I did a quick and dirty comparison. Here a copy of my post @ bis forums:
    You didn't cheat. SSD's typically don't impact anything except level load times.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Mama
    replied
    Hi all

Well, it looks promising :-)

I did a quick and dirty comparison. Here a copy of my post @ bis forums:

Ok, so as promised here is my first little comparison between the Linux and the Windows version.

First my specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.2Ghz
    RAM: 8Gb DDR3 1333
    GC: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770

So, what I can say so far is that the Linux version runs really really well. I didn't expect this since the port uses a wrapper layer which usually takes some of the performance, and since my PC is, as you can see, not the newest I tought I would get some trouble. The port seems to be stable as I had no crash so far and it ran at the first try. A little problem seems to be the sound engine as gun fire sounds a little different on the Linux version than the Windows version, however this is no big thing. At the first run I noticed also some Frame drops when turning/firing etc, but this seems to be gone now.

So, here some benchmarks:

First the settings: (Same for both OS's, Windows settings in german)

Linux:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uymrlpu4cd...nux_1.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nm8syw0q1...nux_3.png?dl=0

Windows:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1hq8jzgbz...00001.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5160xss4g...00003.jpg?dl=0

This looks already not bad, does it? But it gets better! On Windows, when you are at the settings screen, the fps rise, but drop again when you return to the game. On Linux however the fps counter is more accurate! There is no change in the fps when you enter the settings menu. What you see is what you get!

So, now I ran Arma3Mark 0.51, Stratis version:

And here it comes:

Windows first run: 29 average fps
    second run: 28 average fps

Linux first run: 30 average fps
    second run: 31 average fps

Whoa, cool! It's even faster on Linux! Okay, i have to say that I cheated a little bit The Linux version is installed on an SSD, the Winodws version on a standard 7200 hard disk. But anyway this is a fantasic result for a ported game which uses a wrapper(!). I have no idea how much the ssd has an influence on the result, but I must say I'm quite happy with it. The external Team did a really fantasic job! Well done!
    Last edited by Big_Mama; 31 August 2015, 09:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mao_dze_dun
    replied
    Well it@s never getting ported if everybody refuses to buy it :-). I'm really curious about performance.

Leave a comment:

• Sdar
    replied
    This games needs a CPU with strong single thread performance, number of cores doesn't have that much influence beyond 3~4.

Скидка 5 евро на первую покупку в www.computeruniverse.ru FWED9WI Начался финальный тур голосования! Ребята, поддержите нас! Пройдите по ссылке http://vspsta...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X