Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obsidian:"I don't think it was worthwhile developing [Pillars of Eternity] for Linux"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsidian:"I don't think it was worthwhile developing [Pillars of Eternity] for Linux"

"I don't think it was worthwhile developing for Linux," Brandon Adler, lead producer said in response to questions the team had gathered from Twitter before the show. "They are a very, very small portion of our active user base?I think around one and a half percent of our users were Linux."
    One of the initial promises the team had made during their Kickstarter campaign was to bring Pillars of Eternity to both Mac and Linux platforms, but, looking back, Adler felt like the challenges involved were simply not worth the return that the studio received.

So, are there really so few of us Linux RPG fans or has everyone just used their Windows / Virtual PCs to play Pillars of Eternity?

Yeah, too much work for a little gain against too much work for a expected gain... that is like Gentoo user against Ubuntu user

As always, no offence to any party

Originally posted by darkuttek View Post
    So, are there really so few of us Linux RPG fans or has everyone just used their Windows / Virtual PCs to play Pillars of Eternity?
    I don't think it is about that, but more because those isometric games are often slower on OpenGL... so give people some *exponentially better* value and they will jump in, like better performance then on Windows

That is both Mac and Linux problem, because everything is *exponentially slower* with those games Nearly everthing is full of shitty ports there with not scalable settings, that is second big issue... well that can happens, but mostly does not happen on Windows.

Even then some people also does not want to bother with Windows too, even if that is better... so they just switch to game conoles, etc...
    Last edited by dungeon; 30 August 2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

So, are there really so few of us Linux RPG fans
      Isometric "oldschool" RPGs. I'd rather play something like skyrim with better story.

Comment

I don't know, I tried that game for maybe a few minutes, I was very bored, and gave up.
        There are at this point many good games to play on a GNU/Linux system so I didn't try any harder..
        Last edited by geearf; 31 August 2015, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          I don't know, I tried that game for maybe a few minutes, I was very bored, and gave up.
          There are at this point many good games to play on a GNU/Linux system so I didn't try any harder..
          Well, it's a matter of taste, isn't it?

For me, PoE was definitely one of the best games to hit the PC in the recent years.
          And I'd be very sad if a successor would not get a Linux binary.

Comment

Originally posted by darkuttek View Post
            "I don't think it was worthwhile developing for Linux," Brandon Adler, lead producer said in response to questions the team had gathered from Twitter before the show. "They are a very, very small portion of our active user base—I think around one and a half percent of our users were Linux."
            One of the initial promises the team had made during their Kickstarter campaign was to bring Pillars of Eternity to both Mac and Linux platforms, but, looking back, Adler felt like the challenges involved were simply not worth the return that the studio received.

Perhaps. There's this pain that most developers face with this. Wine's "good enough" for many of these titles. Some of them do well with eON.

PoE? Haven't gotten to it yet- it was on my short list. Having said this, it's from Obsidian. This is the studio that presided over several debacles in the industry- like KOTOR II. Some of that mess was the publisher doing a ship it now decision because of a market target. Much of it, however, was that they didn't really have a solid story arc and a handle on things and then rushed the mess out the door because they were behind for that reason. Many people are of mixed opinions on their stuff. I am.

And them whinging about this when they **PROMISED** the thing per their Kickstarter is in poor form. BLUNTLY. If you knew your engine was not up to snuff (and they had to...but Wasteland 2 seems to be SOLID and they're not whining about this...) you might want to either be in a good position to hold a gun to the vendor's head on not keeping up with it (And they couldn't have had to make that many changes to the game just to accommodate Linux or the engine or other library choices were poorly done such that they'd have had as much trouble targeting OSX- and that's kind of telling, to be honest.) then perhaps you should have either not made the offer or set the deal a bit higher as a stretch goal.
            Last edited by Svartalf; 31 August 2015, 11:44 AM. Reason: Cleaned up the comment a bit...

Comment

We won't get into the need for them to have that Linux port if they want to sit on the SteamBox setups coming soon- if it wasn't "worth it" initially, it may well be so very shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

Well, it's a matter of taste, isn't it?
                Oh definitely!

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                For me, PoE was definitely one of the best games to hit the PC in the recent years.
                And I'd be very sad if a successor would not get a Linux binary.
                Well then I hope the same for you!

Comment

Working...
                X