Follow-Up Tests For DIRT Showdown On Linux With AMD vs. NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

... and by the same token the R9 285 Linux performance is pretty darned good with that $250 graphics card having the same frame-rate, right ?
    Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Some of these benchmark results are just plain bizarre, though. Like how the R9 290 performs better than the Fury? Wut?
      It's actually not that bizarre. Keep in mind that these results are from "under the eON wrapper". There are variables in this equation that are not easily tracable.

The "near constant" framerate around 60 fps IMHO smells like a framerate-governor hiding somewhere in the code. Could be the eON wrapper, could be catalyst, could be something in the application code. Who knows...

If you carefully look at the results (and please take off your nvidia glasses!) you may observe a similar behavior with the nvidia cards. There seems to be a "snap-in" effect around 60 fps. This may be a hint that it is not the graphics driver.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It always run around 60 fps on average on all the cards on all resolutions on any settings... so that might be a feature
        Agreed. Honestly I see no reason whining about AMD here, all cards show 60 fps, which is IMO a perfect score.
        Saving watts may be a good idea here.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Agreed. Honestly I see no reason whining about AMD here, all cards show 60 fps, which is IMO a perfect score.
          Saving watts may be a good idea here.

Suck when you have bought an expensive 144 Hz gaming monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Desti View Post
            Suck when you have bought an expensive 144 Hz gaming monitor.
            144Hz suck twice for this title, maybe triple sucks... as one needs Titan X to play it vsynced and on low settings

Comment

DIRT Showdown is currently on sale on Steam for ?3 until end of the weekend. Downloading it right now and curious to see how it runs with Ubuntu 15.10

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                DIRT Showdown is currently on sale on Steam for €3 until end of the weekend. Downloading it right now and curious to see how it runs with Ubuntu 15.10
                It runs quite well with the padoka PPA - https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-...ve/ubuntu/mesa , i did a quick openGL capture of the benchmarks running with the PPA in a intel/radeon laptop (latitude 3540), with a radeon 8850m. with graphics on ultra i get around 20fps and on medium, 60, which is pretty good for this card. check it out: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...ef_source=link

Comment

Working...
                X