Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Will Not Support System Suspend On SteamOS

Phoronix: Valve Will Not Support System Suspend On SteamOS

Valve engineers have decided that they will not support system suspend/resume on SteamOS... Why? Because it's poor under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now imagine if millions of peoplem have a SteamMachine (like millions have PlayStation and Xbox devices).
    If these won't support suspend then millions of watts will be wasted by these devices.
    It will be very bad for environment.

I think Valve should just fix the suspend problems.
    Throw some developers at it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Now imagine if millions of peoplem have a SteamMachine (like millions have PlayStation and Xbox devices).
      If these won't support suspend then millions of watts will be wasted by these devices.
      It will be very bad for environment.

I think Valve should just fix the suspend problems.
      Throw some developers at it.
      That might be possible if there was one steam console, but there is many. Valve can't control what hardware SteamOS gets used on.

Comment

To be fair, suspend and resume are what tends to go wrong first with crappy drivers on every platform. I think it's because developers don't suspend their machines, ever, and maybe it's hard to test without a robot on most machines.

Comment

waste a developer on something nVidia and AMD didnt want fixed? You know you can always turn it off.... und completely unplug if you dont trust it either... OOORR use open source drivers.. ;-)

Comment

I find some random peculiarities with it as well. Sometimes when I come back my mic doesn't work. Or sometimes if I launch a game (after a resume) X.org crashes. It's somewhat temperamental.

I've had some problems in the past on Windows as well, but haven't interacted with it lately.

How does it work on Android?

Comment

Wait, since when does Android have Suspend and Resume support?

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
                Wait, since when does Android have Suspend and Resume support?
                Since the beginning? What do you think happens when you press the power button...

Comment

In general, I can't complain much about suspend with NVIDIA drivers.

Comment

Such a nonsense is a long time since I've read ... you can see that these engineers are weak ... oh weak :P

Comment

Working...
                    X