Benchmarking Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

No libframetime just outputs frame-rates.... Which we already have from this game's benchmark mode. What we don't have is the automatic startup/shutdown of the game.

Metro's benchmark mode had the auto startup/shutdown but initially it only output the frameresult result to the screen and not anywhere to the stdout, a file, or anything else -- which is where libframetime was called in.
    Newb question I am sure, would it be possible to do that by automating the mouse/keyboard controls?

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
      Newb question I am sure, would it be possible to do that by automating the mouse/keyboard controls?
      Theoretically, yes, but an issue based on your resolution of testing, etc, that the menu button locations would change, etc.

I put in a request to Feral support to find out about getting like a --benchmark CLI switch.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Theoretically, yes, but an issue based on your resolution of testing, etc, that the menu button locations would change, etc.

I put in a request to Feral support to find out about getting like a --benchmark CLI switch.
        I still think it's a shame that most game studios are completely oblivious to the command line. Back in NT4.0 days, MS implemented a new shell, (an old shell that PowerShell is based on) but they never replaced the dos shell with it. Later when Windows 2000 launched it would have been the perfect oportunity to implement a standardized shell to replace dos with. But it didn't happen and now a days nobody even thinks about a shell anymore.

it really is MS fault.

Comment

Will have out some more NVIDIA benchmarks for this game tomorrow.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

How is anyone supposed to download 41GB? I am not familiar with how paid games are distributed but it seems to me that anything that takes up 41GB and can't be compressed or degraded down to less than 4GB would be impossible to download, thus impossible to torrent and effectively pirate-proofed simply by the inability to move it over any network. Unfortunately this would also apply to a paid download. Even if I wanted to build a dedicated system for this (air-gapped from my sensitive machines), I would have no access to enough bandwidth to get the file. The cheapest device I can think of that could move the file would be a 64GB camera card or USB2 flash drive, given how few of us use Blu-ray drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              How is anyone supposed to download 41GB? I am not familiar with how paid games are distributed but it seems to me that anything that takes up 41GB and can't be compressed or degraded down to less than 4GB would be impossible to download, thus impossible to torrent and effectively pirate-proofed simply by the inability to move it over any network. Unfortunately this would also apply to a paid download. Even if I wanted to build a dedicated system for this (air-gapped from my sensitive machines), I would have no access to enough bandwidth to get the file. The cheapest device I can think of that could move the file would be a 64GB camera card or USB2 flash drive, given how few of us use Blu-ray drives.

heh, it depends where you live. I have 3G mobile broadband(no download restrictions), and in average download speed in steam is somewhere 600kB/sec(varying from 300kB/sec to 1.6MB/sec). Thus it would take ~18h to donwload 41GB game, so couple of nights. But I agree it's getting quite ridiculous these days. One thing which have caused this ever crowing game sizes, is newer consoles.

Comment

I drove my desktop to my sisters house about an hour away as she has unlimited internet for this one. She lives in a country town with 2 internet choices, I live in a 25k city and only have the local provider with tight quotas. You can buy the physical copy version though as well, I am sure there will be gigs of updates but should be smaller.

Comment

I'm getting a gigabit fiber connection tomorrow. No problems with that download here...

Comment

Windows 10 vs. Linux benchmarks - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...10-linux&num=1
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X