Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Make CS:GO Run Much Faster On AMD Catalyst For Linux

Phoronix: How To Make CS:GO Run Much Faster On AMD Catalyst For Linux

Should you be using a Radeon graphics card with the AMD Catalyst Linux driver and are disappointed by the poor performance, there is a very easy workaround for gaining much better performance under Linux... In some cases a simple tweak will yield around 40% better performance!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I invite everyone to add comments with your own testings/confirmations to my bug report:

Comment

Did you test with Multicore rendering activated? Because you get about the same framerate I get with my GTX 670 with Multicore off. With Multicore on I get easily above 200 FPS.
      Multicore rendering still has a memory leak issue in CS:GO though, but it works for a while.

Comment

I think there is nothing to add there, they know this is about VBOs Some games suffers more or less depends how BOs are used, even mesa drivers have these caps with same games.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          Did you test with Multicore rendering activated? Because you get about the same framerate I get with my GTX 670 with Multicore off. With Multicore on I get easily above 200 FPS.
          Multicore rendering still has a memory leak issue in CS:GO though, but it works for a while.
          This is unrelated to the ingame multicore setting, and yes, it was probably enabled, because the performance is even worse without it on AMD Catalyst. There are NVIDIA and Intel specific hacks in the csgo.sh launchscript aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I invite everyone to add comments with your own testings/confirmations to my bug report:

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1183
            Sorry, I had to ask... In your report, why did you use '\' instead of '/' ? Also, I suggest you give them links to these reddit/phoronix threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
              And this is the reason Linux will never ever come close to Windows market share. Shoddy programming. Amateurs....
              You are a troll, but this was a lousy example. Catalyst is a closed source driver. This issue would've been fixed 5 minutes after it's been reported if it was open source. Also it would probably been discovered faster.

Comment

I've let AMD and Catalyst go years go... and became a much calmer person.

Comment

Stuff like this is why I have stuck with nvidia since my first card the Riva TNT and never looked back. AMD GPUs just, I dunno, have a less then stellar track record.

And I hate hate hate hate to say this but the csgo linux version is not up to snuff compared to the windows version, it just isn't. When it first came out I tried to power through, playing it, reporting bugs, etc. In the process I quickly dropped five ranks. I'm too old to care about that stuff but it is a good measuring stick.

Comment

Good article.

This is extremely disappointing from AMD. A case where they already know how to make things work faster but it's not applied due to negligence.

Comment

Working...
                    X