No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Continued Falling In June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You get the survey when you close steam. If you run steam all the time and never shut down the PC, then you will probably never see the survey. It's a bug by Valve.

Comment

I got survey just yesterday on Linux. I always decline when it popup on windows. And yes absolute numbers are going up as total users of steam also goes up.

Comment

Do you think that usage has dropped due to the Windows 10 insider program? As we near launch day, the builds are getting more usable, so perhaps the Linux users, who are traditionally more adventurous when it comes to software than the average user, have been testing the new OS?

And don't get me started on Steam Machines. Hope of their appearance is almost as old as the hope for HL3.

Comment

I've only ever used Steam on Linux, and I only buy Linux games that don't require flash or other Adobe product. I totally shut down steam every time I finish playing a game, yet I've never gotten the survey to appear. Do I actually have to shut down my computer, not just steam?

Comment

Might be just bad luck too then. Even if you shut it down they still pick only a small proportion of their whole userbase for the survey.

Comment

Sorry, I finally figured out how to run Space Empires V under wine 1.7.46 so I have only started the windows client lately.

Fresh 32bit prefix for steam, install core fonts with winetricks.
              Install Space Empires V and change SpaceEmpiresV/SE5/Data/Settings.txt to
              Code:
              Allow Music                                                           := FALSE
              Allow Sound                                                           := FALSE

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                I've only ever used Steam on Linux, and I only buy Linux games that don't require flash or other Adobe product. I totally shut down steam every time I finish playing a game, yet I've never gotten the survey to appear. Do I actually have to shut down my computer, not just steam?
                Nope. It does appear. (But not too often.) I got it 3 times over the last two and a half years.

Comment

Tried running Portal 2 on Mint 17.1 with Oibaf drivers and the game wouldn't start. No warning but if I run it through terminal it would complain about drivers be able to only support OpenGL 1.4 and it needs OpenGL 2.0. After a bit of searching I found out that you need to remove a lot of files in the Steam folder so Portal 2 would run. I haven't run this game on Linux in over a year but I shouldn't be dealing with these sorta problems and now I have a script I need to run every time Steam updates.

And yea no GTAV or Witcher 3.

Comment

Without some unlikely big change as huge investment into desktop Linux from Samsung, Nvidia, Intel, Facebook, Amazon or something other big player, i dont see change to big improvement in next 5 years. Valve isnt realy commited to big change and huge investments, so we need someone else.

In my eyes is Linux for real painless gaming damned and big change - get rid off Windows- will come with Android PC adoption - normal people know this OS from their phones, MS Office running here, Android already run on PC and even ARM tablets and will run on ARM desktops in future. Revenue in Android gaming is now maybe already bigger and in AAA PC and console gaming. And AAA titles are comming - Doom 3, Half-life 2 ported, Xcom ported, Crysis 3, Bordelands on the way - yeah all those games are pusteh by Nvidia, but Nvidia is big player. Big success of Android gaming is now blocked by unavailability beefy ARM desktop / console CPU/ GPU which could compete with x86 PC processors - strongest ARM chip is now 20W TDP CPU X1 from Nvidia, but there is room for 65W, 100W ARM CPUs.
                    Overall Android user experience is much better than average Linux experience - any fucking terminal fixes isnt needed because of basic OS failures, it just works.. if someone will add - possiblity run app in window mode and multimonitor support and some windows like taskbar GUI skin - most of customers are will use it.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post

And don't get me started on Steam Machines. Hope of their appearance is almost as old as the hope for HL3.
                      not sure what you mean, but there are already pre-orders. If you are so impatient, go and place your $.

The previous delays were because the controller, OS, streaming / link and library were not yet in a usable enough state.

Launching too early and with a buggy product, does not equate to mass market adoption. Contrary it would had hurt.

Comment

Working...
                      X