Dota 2 Reborn Begins Rolling Out For Steam Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RamblingMadMan View Post
    Nah, it wasn't that. It was the same silly issue of steam packaging old libs incompatible with my updated graphics drivers. Now the game loads and I can get into a game, but simply no 3D items are rendered. I'll do an apitrace and submit a bug or contribute to one.
    Yeah those libs affect all gallium drivers... there is one bug fix for mesa which affect all mesa drivers:

Hi guys. When I try the Dota 2 Reborn beta, there are constantly these errors: Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_VALUE in glScissor Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glUseProgramStages(program n...

And you can also learn there that radeonsi soon might miss required extension

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Yeah those libs affect all gallium drivers... there is one bug fix for mesa which affect all mesa drivers:

Hi guys. When I try the Dota 2 Reborn beta, there are constantly these errors: Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_VALUE in glScissor Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glUseProgramStages(program n...

And you can also learn there that radeonsi soon might miss required extension
      So valve are not testing their code against mesa drivers. That is rather sad.

Comment

Originally posted by RamblingMadMan View Post
        Atm when launched nothing happens. I looked in "dota 2 beta/game/bin/" for the "dota2" executable, as with windows and it seems to be a shared library. Weird.
        I fixed this same error message by verifying the install. It found 48 files needing to be re-downloaded.

Anyone else notice you can change all the advanced video options without restarting the game? Overall I'm pretty impressed so far.

Comment

There are already traces of Vulkan support found in the binaries.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

He, he, don't being sad - that is for what is beta for - game to fix their possible render issues and drivers too if needed, along with gameplay or any other on first hand possible issues.
            Last edited by dungeon; 23 June 2015, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Not for AMD or NVIDIA OSS - maybe because those have closed source alterneatives.
              But for Intel Haswell HD 5200 graphics it works here with Mesa 10.5.7 and kernel 4.0.5. The menu flickers a bit and FPS is only 20 (at Max image quality, fullHD), but fo a beta that is really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

Not for AMD or NVIDIA OSS - maybe because those have closed source alterneatives.
                But for Intel Haswell HD 5200 graphics it works here with Mesa 10.5.7 and kernel 4.0.5. The menu flickers a bit and FPS is only 20 (at Max image quality, fullHD), but fo a beta that is really nice.
                That is exactly the part I don't understand. They are paying a company to work on an alternative Intel driver, implement Vulkan, but can not be bothered to setup few machines for open source driver testing.

Comment

He, he i think i must now post some Intel issues:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dot...born/issues/23

and one example for nvidia:

Shift-tabbing into steam overlay is making the whole screen flicker, going from white, gray, blue to green and probably other colors. You can make out some of the icons, and the border of the windo...

Just for people to not think that any current setup they possibly run now is perfect for the game

That is exactly the part I don't understand. They are paying a company to work on an alternative Intel driver, implement Vulkan, but can not be bothered to setup few machines for open source driver testing.
                  There are probably hundreads of GPUs from all vendors who can run a game... and probably thousand of users OS and versions of driver combinations, etc... no game developer can test them all in house
                  Last edited by dungeon; 23 June 2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    I must say, the GL renderer on Linux is a *lot* smoother than it is on Windows. Compared to Source 1, this isn't even in the same league. The renderer is smooth, the input is immediate, the screen scroll doesn't hitch at all, there's no intermittent waiting in-between UI screens in the main menu.

Well done. It brings a tear to my eye.
                    Same here, pretty nice experience for a beta. AMD Radeon HD 7850 + Catalyst 15.200, Kernel 4.1. Fluid >100 fps all the time. Looking forward to report some gameplay bugs

Comment

I just did a bot game in Reborn. I think the graphics are worse than before, but maybe all the effects aren't implemented yet. At least now proper fullscreen mouse capture works in Gnome 3.

Comment

Working...
                      X