Steam Linux Usage Drops Lower... Below 0.9%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    The only way to spread Linux systems is the pre-installation (because it overcomes the psychological threshold of the common user).
    What to preinstall as Linux systems? Android? i use Debian, someone else uses Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, SuSE, Gentoo, LFS...

But yeah Valve wants SteamOS preinstalled on their machines, that is the only way to start gaming easier

Last edited by dungeon; 03 June 2015, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Bummer, I guess I install Windows 10 then and give up on Linux gaming. Survey tells me so

Comment

Why does nobody mention the obvious method for counting installations? The steam client regularly downloads updates - different updates for different operating systems. Couldn't they just count full downloads of the updates per account?

Comment

One weakness of the Steam survey is that there doesn't seem to be any way to view a graph of Linux usage over time, which would make any seasonal trends obvious. e.g. it's exam season right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if students were more likely to use Linux.

Comment

I don't dual boot and only have Arch Linux installed. I used to get survey in Windows years ago but have never received a survey request on Linux for years now.

Comment

After the upgrade from Ubuntu 14.10 to 15.04, X stopped working on my NVidia card. Solution: get screwdriver, remove NVidia card, use intel integrated graphics. Stopped playing games since. I wouldn't be surprised if that bug hit more people. Unfortuntely no numbers to back that up.
              I did file a bug (1454817 in launchpad): if you experience the same, please acknowledge so that it gets fixed faster...

Comment

What about the absolute number of Linux players ? If the Steam community increases but with a faster increase on the Windows side, this will end up with a lower Linux %. Although the absolute number of Linux users could also potentially increase as well. % is not the only metric to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Haha I've been surveyed maybe 6 times in the past 2 years. In fact I was just inquired yesterday.

Keep in mind - these surveys ONLY come up whenever you sign into Steam. If you keep your computer and Steam on for days at a time, you're greatly reducing your chances of ever being asked. I sign on steam on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day. So I'm much more likely to be asked.
                  I run Steam from start every day and never saw the survey at all. I see my friends regularly get it, I do not even know if this survey is a legend on Linux...
                  Maybe Valve does not need it for Linux, but I really doubt about this!

Comment

[offtopic]
                    Originally posted by wateenellende View Post
                    After the upgrade from Ubuntu 14.10 to 15.04, X stopped working on my NVidia card. Solution: get screwdriver, remove NVidia card, use intel integrated graphics. Stopped playing games since. I wouldn't be surprised if that bug hit more people. Unfortuntely no numbers to back that up.
                    I did file a bug (1454817 in launchpad): if you experience the same, please acknowledge so that it gets fixed faster...
                    NVidia cards work fine although not always out-of-the-box (especially true if you have a Kepler series card or newer).

Solution:
                    - Boot with -nomodeset kernel parameter
                    - Uninstall or blacklist nouveau
                    - Download the latest proprietary nvidia drivers and give it execution permissions (chmod +x NVIDIA....run)
                    - Switch to tty (CTRL+ALT+F1) and login.
                    - Stop the lightdm service (sudo service lightdm stop)
                    - Install the drivers (sudo ,/NVIDIA....run). I advise you to enable DKMS so you don't have to manually reinstall everytime the kernel is updated.
                    - After completing the installation start the lightdm service and off you go!
                    [/offtopic]

Sad to see the usage is dropping. Steam is pretty solid for me in Ubuntu 15.04. The biggest problem I run into when using Steam on Linux (and makes me bootup Windows) isn't related to Steam itself but to games performing much worse than their Windows counterpart. A good example is Cities Skylines; in Windows it runs a solid 60fps while Ubuntu averages 20-30 fps with the same quality settings. It's probably due to the Unity 3D engine not being fully optimized for OpenGL which is a shame because a lot of games depend on it. I Hope Vulkan will enable developers to bring the overall game performance/experience on-par with Window so Linux and OSX users are no longer treated as second-class citizens.

Comment

I finally got a survey from Steam. From what I understand, it is more about data gathering to improve support.

Comment

Working...
                      X