No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Drops Lower... Below 0.9%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think, that as the world comes to know and appreciate the accessibility offered by GNU/Linux-based platforms, we will start to see a steady rise of users. It could also be that people are simply using GOG instead of Steam. Most titles that I like that are on Steam are also available in a DRM-free version, which I prefer.

In other words, don't take Steam's diminishing numbers as a deathknell of GNU/Linux as a gaming platform... assuming that that's the direction the argument here is going. >_>

Comment

If you're one of those people under the superstition that "hardware survey = OS data sampling point", I have a very interesting bit of information for you: Valve doesn't need you to submit a survey in order to determine your OS. Hint: Consider for which OS the client you're running is compiled.

Comment

Witcher 3 and GTAV are the biggest reasons why people are using Linux less. Wasn't Witcher 3 suppose to come to Linux?

Comment

On StatCounter Linux is at 1.77%, which is a bit lower than last month (1.91%), but still nearly an all-time high.

Comment

No notable games, no users.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
              If you're one of those people under the superstition that "hardware survey = OS data sampling point", I have a very interesting bit of information for you: Valve doesn't need you to submit a survey in order to determine your OS. Hint: Consider for which OS the client you're running is compiled.
              In which case, no need for any kind sampling.... Just publish the data....

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                The client itself knows on what OS it's running, but it doesn't mean it's passing that information back to Valve without taking your permission first.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

So instead of making a technical argument, you decide to call names and act like an ass.... You don't sound like a crackpot at all either.
                  Will since the extent of your technical argument was that random people on the internet claim to be outliers in a random sampling process. A process in which outliers are expected to exist. Thus the whole thing is a fraud. I didn't think I needed much of a technical argument to point out how dumb your assertion was. But then again since you "know more about encoding, sampling, multiplexing than most people do...." probably your assertion only sounds stupid to us normals.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post

Will since the extent of your technical argument was that random people on the internet claim to be outliers in a random sampling process. A process in which outliers are expected to exist. Thus the whole thing is a fraud. I didn't think I needed much of a technical argument to point out how dumb your assertion was. But then again since you "know more about encoding, sampling, multiplexing than most people do...." probably your assertion only sounds stupid to us normals.
                    I only meant to claim that I have some amount of comprehension. I never said anything about superiority nor did I intend to imply it.

As an example of an analogy the group I represent would be like the pops and skips you hear in poorly encoded audio files. It might be a small group, but we exist.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnystormy View Post
                      Most titles that I like that are on Steam are also available in a DRM-free version, which I prefer.
                      Same.

FireFlower Games (currently with a library limited to 59 Linux titles) also takes a stand on DRM-free games. Playism (and its scant Linux catalog of 3 games) is also DRM-free. (GOG itself currently features 276 Linux games.)

The following services are not 100% DRM-free, but results can be filtered by DRM status:
                      Desura (731 DRM-free Linux games)
                      GamersGate (84 DRM-free Linux games)
                      Gamesrocket (9 DRM-free Linux games)
                      Get Games (4 DRM-free Linux games)
                      Humble Bundle (393 DRM-free Linux games)
                      IndieGameStand (209 DRM-free Linux games)
                      ShinyLoot (76 DRM-free Linux games)

I'm not in any way implying that being DRM-free makes a game worthwhile in and of itself, but I imagine anyone who has ever been burnt by overzealous DRM before would prefer the DRM-free option where available.

Comment

Working...
                      X