• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post
    It seems to me that linux is suffering a double effect :

* the GTA effect
    * the Witcher 3 effect

Seems like a good explaination to me...

Now, if someone wants to produce an AAA SteamOS exclusivity...
    my colleague at work claims it's the windows 10 effect. which seems to be already enjoying good reception from the users.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Who cares it will drop again with Windows 10, still there are again +100 new games for linux games in a month

1200+ games
      I would totally agree with you if there was no survey at all. But right now people are being told inaccurate information from a source that should be trusted.

Comment

I stopped using Ubuntu and Steam OS for gaming because I've upgraded my computer and there is just to much of a sacrifice using Linux. When you have enthusiast grade hardware you are throwing it all away. It's not so bad when you are running on a budget machine however. Also many people are going to Windows 10 testing it out, DirectX12 looks very promising.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          So the survey comes up repeatedly for the same individuals and never for anyone else.... It doesn't seem like there is any possibility for it being accurate in that case.
          Since I don't "exactly" know how Valve does its survey, I can't obviously claim it is valid - but I assume it is.
          Make sure you know what a "sample" is. If you don't, consider taking this free course for example:

This should explain all the "mysteries".

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

Since I don't "exactly" know how Valve does its survey, I can't obviously claim it is valid - but I assume it is.
            Make sure you know what a "sample" is. If you don't, consider taking this free course for example:

This should explain all the "mysteries".
            Oh it's not a mystery. I know more about encoding, sampling, multiplexing than most people do.... Obviously if you sample the same spot and no others, then the sampling data cannot be accurate.

Comment

Exactly the same problem. I get the steam survey every 2-3 months in windows... Never got on linux once.... Obviously the mechanism that decides who gets the survey is totally broken.
              Are you dual booting? When I was dual booting on my old laptop, I only got surveyed on Windows (3 times over 1? year), though I played more on Linux. Once I got a new laptop that I am using as Linux only, and decided to have a separate gaming PC have been surveyed an equal number of times on both.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Are you dual booting? When I was dual booting on my old laptop, I only got surveyed on Windows (3 times over 1? year), though I played more on Linux. Once I got a new laptop that I am using as Linux only, and decided to have a separate gaming PC have been surveyed an equal number of times on both.
                Yeah, I do dual boot. That may be entirely true. But if it is, that's wrong on Valves part. Because then in that case they aren't counting dual booters as linux users. I'd argue that most linux users are dual booters.

Comment

Oh it's not a mystery. I know more about encoding, sampling, multiplexing than most people do.... Obviously if you sample the same spot and no others, then the sampling data cannot be accurate.

How are you making this assumption of "sampling the same spot"? Jeez, you people and your conspiracy theories. I guess the entire field of chemistry should be dissolved, because no chemist has counted literally every atom. We only use mass, spectral, vibrational, or fluorescent "sampling" to make our counts and determinations. No biggie, no way anyone could reach a confident level accuracy to a high level of precision using "sampling" techniques. Lol, that would be JUST ABSURD!

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

How are you making this assumption of "sampling the same spot"? Jeez, you people and your conspiracy theories. I guess the entire field of chemistry should be dissolved, because no chemist has counted literally every atom. We only use mass, spectral, vibrational, or fluorescent "sampling" to make our counts and determinations. No biggie, no way anyone could reach a confident level accuracy to a high level of precision using "sampling" techniques. Lol, that would be JUST ABSURD!
                    You need to read some more. The people that get the survey on linux, repeatedly get it. The people that don't, never get it. Whatever machanism they use misses a whole lot.

You don't have to sample every quantum, but you do need enough sample to have confidence in the margin of error. I don't have any confidence in Valves because of the clearly inaccurate data they make available.
                    Last edited by duby229; 02 June 2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

You need to read some more. The people that get the survey on linux, repeatedly get it. The people that don't, never get it. Whatever machanism they use misses a whole lot.

Proof. Show me Proof, other than "from word of mouth", anecdotal evidence. Because that has been shown to be soooo accurate in the past.

Comment

Working...
                      X