X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kuco
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post
    Do you play HotS on Linux ? If so is it easy to install and has good perf ?
    I play mainly Dota 2 but I am interested into testing other moba-like games.
    I do.
    i5 4x3,2ghz, Ati 4870 (yeah, weird setup), Xubuntu 15.04
    Settings all low (i dont like pretty graphics in multiplayer-games anyway), 1080p, mesa drivers + gallium-nine results in 70-120 fps.

Everything works perfectly so far. No glitches, no crashes. Really amazing considering the game is quite demanding/badly optimised (don't trust the 'official' system-requirements).
    If you can't use gallium-nine, make sure, you're using a CSMT enabled version of wine. I was playing the closed beta without the Ati-Card on my Intel HD 4000 (?) and got between 28 and 60 fps that way.

I added a couple of native libs via PlayOnLinux which were recommended for SC2 (same engine). Not sure if they are necessary.

Leave a comment:

• joh22n
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    DOTA2's community is absolutely toxic and chuck full of Russian and Peruvians so unless your fluent in other languages this can be problematic. Strife was real fun when it was first in beta but sadly the elitism attitude soon followed and the community became less welcoming quickly. If you don't mind muting half your team or your opponents every match DOTA2 can be fine but the learning curve is huge.
    Well, I think you are talking about every online game ever made here. There are people of "questionable maturity" in every game and unfortunately Dota 2 is no exception.

Game itself is very difficult but fun though.

Leave a comment:

• mwendt
    replied
    Technically I guess Valve *could* release a version running Vulkan right now. They could just embed their prototype Vulkan implementation in the source 2 engine and call it "Valvekan". In other words "Valvekan" would be an internal abstraction layer in the engine that would just bang on the API agnostic kernel driver directly.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
    Heroes of the storm is easier for beginners. Talents instead of items simplifies the game.
    Do you play HotS on Linux ? If so is it easy to install and has good perf ?
    I play mainly Dota 2 but I am interested into testing other moba-like games.

Leave a comment:

• Stellarwind
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    I've never played this, or any MOBA for that matter. I sometimes feel as though I'm missing out on MOBAs, I'd like to be able to watch the pros. But I never understand what's going on so I don't enjoy watching. Is this a good MOBA to get into the genre just to get an understanding of how it works? Or should I maybe go with Heroes of the Storm?

For reference, if it makes any difference, I watch a lot of Starcraft 2 and play a little too.
    Heroes of the storm is easier for beginners. Talents instead of items simplifies the game. Team xp is also easier for new players - you wont fall behind on levels that much at the beginning. Less farm, more fights. Same is the downsides - less build variety, newb on the team means you will be penalised for them.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
    Is this supposed to be out Thursday or earlier, this week?
    Whenever the next regular update rolls out, which could be today, or tomorrow, or thursday.

Originally posted by boot
    I'm not sure they'll push this straight into the main client without going through proper testing.
    It should appear first in Dota 2 Test, like all major updates, and they haven't even archived the posts of the last one yet.
    Dota 2 Test is for gameplay changes etc., the Source 2 beta client will be distributed as a "DLC" until it's completely stable and will be compatible with Source 1 servers, not to split the community.

Originally posted by kaprikawn
    I've never played this, or any MOBA for that matter. I sometimes feel as though I'm missing out on MOBAs, I'd like to be able to watch the pros. But I never understand what's going on so I don't enjoy watching. Is this a good MOBA to get into the genre just to get an understanding of how it works? Or should I maybe go with Heroes of the Storm?
    Dota 2 would be the best choice. It has a nice tutorial nowadays that teaches you the basics when you play it for the first time, and there are great videos on YouTube for more advanced stuff. Dota 2 runs on all platforms, has a big, worldwide community, has the most advanced technology/engine and is easy to learn yet hard to master. If you understand Dota 2, you will be able to learn LoL and HotS easily, however it would be harder the other way round.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

For reference, if it makes any difference, I watch a lot of Starcraft 2 and play a little too.
    Well... The current meta for MOBA's like DOTA(2),LOL,Strife. Is 5 players per team (2 teams) pick heros and try to out resource each other while making in roads to destroying a "throne" at the opponents base. There are towers that attack opponents which can be killed and little guys running around called creeps which if you get the last hit on them earn gold for doing so. Also there are some special mob(s). DOTA2's community is absolutely toxic and chuck full of Russian and Peruvians so unless your fluent in other languages this can be problematic. Strife was real fun when it was first in beta but sadly the elitism attitude soon followed and the community became less welcoming quickly. If you don't mind muting half your team or your opponents every match DOTA2 can be fine but the learning curve is huge. Learning the items, heros strengths and weaknesses and situational timings for ganks, roshing,high ground is something that isn't learned in a match or two. If I were you I would play Strife, less heroes to learn. Performs well on linux. Has a more LOL feel (graphics wise, I never played LOL to comment on the speed or battle aspects) which most ppl seem to want.
    Last edited by nightmarex; 02 June 2015, 06:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• boot
    replied
    I'm not sure they'll push this straight into the main client without going through proper testing.
    It should appear first in Dota 2 Test, like all major updates, and they haven't even archived the posts of the last one yet.
    Public Bug Tracker for Dota2. Contribute to ValveSoftware/Dota2-Gameplay development by creating an account on GitHub.

Leave a comment:

• Laughing1
    replied
    Is this supposed to be out Thursday or earlier, this week?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X