Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X3 Game For Linux Still In Development

Phoronix: X3 Game For Linux Still In Development

Since January of 2007, Linux Game Publishing (LGP) has been working on porting X3: Reunion over to Linux. This game is the sequel to X2: The Threat, which was ported by this Linux game company already...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm not good news but heck, I can wait. X2: Reunion demo was great, it's most awesome game ported to Linux. Can't wait to get to my hands full version...

Comment

I hope this release is not like the X2.
      I like if games portet to linux but not for 50? if the windows version are for 5? aviable.

Currently i can buy X3 or 5-10 ? and for me is the limit for the x3 port around 20?

Comment

X?:TC is coming out in about 2 months and the X?R-port isn't even completed... serious, why the hell does this take so much time?

Comment

Seriously, why bother?
          A YEAR after planned release date?!
          I really can't imagine worse management decisions.
          IMHO in IT world if something isn't hot (new) it won't attract many people.

Comment

They obviously have enough time to implement their copy protection scheme and that's a bad joke! I'm patient enough to wait for Wine or CrossOver Games to support X3 fairly well. That way, I have a low-cost and CP-free way of playing this game. Yes, I am indeed patient.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              I like if games portet to linux but not for 50? if the windows version are for 5? aviable.

Currently i can buy X3 or 5-10 ? and for me is the limit for the x3 port around 20?
              I think their planned price is around 30?.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think that just a little communication would go a long way in this situation of missing a release date by such a long time. If the LGP would just have a blog that is updated monthly with the latest status of whatever projects that are ongoing, as well as update the expected release dates of their upcoming games then I would be much happier about buying an overpriced older game just because it runs natively on Linux.

EDIT: On the issue of copy protection, I'm perfectly ok with them adding this technology into their game discs. These games are not open source just because they run on Linux... they are games licensed from other traditional game companies who are in the business of selling video games. The LGP wouldn't be able to talk those (and future) companies into allowing LGP to create a Linux port as easily if the company knew people would just take advantage of the system as easily as what has happened in the past. The only issue I have is that I'm wondering if finishing this technology is a major reason why X3 was delayed for so damn long. If so I think that's wrong in at least one way: many people who would have been looking forward to paying for this game a year ago may not be so interested at this point, and whatever sales gained from stopping illegal downloading will be offset by the lack of sales due to this game being a whole year older than what it already was if it had made the initial release date.
                Last edited by joshuapurcell; 29 July 2008, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

A. I'm one of the early adopters (SE version) that also had access to the beta version (going fine, thank you) and I paid ~50$. (Far less than 50?)
                  B. If we (as a community) want native games on Linux, we should be willing to pay more. Period. Smaller market == higher prices, as simple as that.

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                  Seriously, why bother?
                  A YEAR after planned release date?!
                  I really can't imagine worse management decisions.
                  IMHO in IT world if something isn't hot (new) it won't attract many people.
                  A. Why bother? Don't know much about you, but -I- rather enjoy playing native games (as opposed to praying to God that the latest Wine update didn't break something). Feel free to reboot you machine every time you want to play X3. Choice is yours.
                  B. Do you have concrete evidence that support these "Management decisions" claims of yours, right? Or better yet, I assume that you have years of experience in porting applications from Windows to Linux and back, right? Didn't think so.
                  C. If X3/Linux fails, I doubt that LGP will take the time to port X3/TC and, when the time comes, X4. Out loss.

On a general note; when EPIC/ID-software screwed us, we all screamed bloody murder about the lack of native Linux games, but when someone actually goes out on a limb and starts porting games, we do nothing but bitch and moan. Yeah, that'll work. For sure. (And no, I don't work for LGP)

- Gilboa
                  P.S. I do agree that LGP should open the beta process to Linux-gaming sites. Having limited/no information, especially when roadmaps begin to over-flow is not a good thing.
                  Last edited by gilboa; 01 August 2008, 09:28 AM.
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I happen to own the game for Windows and it's very good.

Linux version is a day 1 buy for me, in order to show my support to LGP, which I hope will be back online soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X