John Carmack On Rage & Doom 4 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by me262 View Post
    Who was it that said iD could do anything they saw fit?

Oh right. You. ^_^
    And, until they're bought out, they will continue to do so- and perhaps AFTERWARDS. John Carmack's got an interesting take on cross-platformness- views it as critical to ensure there's less busted code in their engine and the titles they do with it. He's not wavered in that since early on. Moreover, he's done work for the FOSS community in the past- important stuff. I know, I worked on the same project with him, Gareth Hughes, and others. It's where we had our first FOSS GLX driver framework.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 21 July 2008, 10:04 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling error...were != where... ;-)

Comment

Which is why I'm surprised that some map editors aren't released on Linux.
      I bet we could do some real interesting things if we could just get some kind of map editor. (An embedded random generator for some kind of randomized maze level. Sure it may be some kind of security hole that'll get patched in the next version, but until then, it's an interesting battle.)
      It's good to see that at least one company has faith in us for coming up with fixes and new ways to tinker.
      It's also nice that we have people who care about this community willing to do things with and for the community.

Comment

Well we we're promised a wxWidgets UnrealED, but does anyone who has torrented that 6 gigs know if that's the case? I'm would have hoped idStudio considered that or similiar api, or gosh, sdl, but who knows?

Comment

promote this idea, even if you do not use ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
            Which is why I'm surprised that some map editors aren't released on Linux.
            I bet we could do some real interesting things if we could just get some kind of map editor. (An embedded random generator for some kind of randomized maze level. Sure it may be some kind of security hole that'll get patched in the next version, but until then, it's an interesting battle.)
            It's good to see that at least one company has faith in us for coming up with fixes and new ways to tinker.
            It's also nice that we have people who care about this community willing to do things with and for the community.
            Usually tools for modders, custom content creators, etc. arent given that much attention in their windows ports, so much less emphasis is gonna be given to a linux counterpart. The only editor that runs in linux is probably radiant, and that because it was released for free. I dont think idStudio will be ported to linux. Nowadays, even carmack as he stated, uses the xbox360 devkit as the main development toolset, and from then on works on the different platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by byteframe View Post
              Well we we're promised a wxWidgets UnrealED, but does anyone who has torrented that 6 gigs know if that's the case? I'm would have hoped idStudio considered that or similiar api, or gosh, sdl, but who knows?
              Well, there is one such editor for id games and engines, GtkRadiant IIRC even id officially uses it internally for their titles. Ohh, and even some distributions package it and have it available in their repos.

Comment

but problem is, gtkradiant is now being phased out by id in favor of the new idstudio, which frankly, it was about time. Id touts this new tool as "something revolutionary" when in reality other engines have had it for a while now, the cry engine 2 sandbox editor being the most recent one. radiant by now is ancient.

Comment

As for UT3, I'll believe only what I see, or, in that case, I'll believe only what I can run.

In other words, I'll get those games as soon as a native linux client is officially available.

But I feel confident ID will do it in less time than Epic for UT3, because they are used to port all their games to linux. And so I'm used to buy all their games because there is a linux support.

No linux support, no business with me.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    It better show up. At least, before EA buys out Id.
                    Don't joke about stuff like that

Comment

Any recent news on rage/doom4 and linux ?

Comment

Working...
                      X