John Carmack On Rage & Doom 4 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Carmack On Rage & Doom 4 For Linux

I emailed John Carmack of iD Software to see whether or not they intended to release both Rage and Doom 4 on Linux. He responded:

It isn't a launch platform for us, but an executable may still show up.

Anyways, I figured that some of you may have been interested in this so I figured I'd post this here. For those who didn't see the new E3 trailer for Rage, you can view that here:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Also according to John Carmack (from a small interview), as good as Rage looks, while Doom 4 runs on the same engine, it is suppose to look a lot better. Details on that can be found here:

EA is not iD Software's publisher so I'm not sure if that little fact will hinder any Linux port developments.

It better show up. At least, before EA buys out Id.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      It better show up. At least, before EA buys out Id.
      Not likely... If anything, Blizzard/Activision/VU will do that since they already have a relationship there...

Comment

Who was it that said iD could do anything they saw fit?
        Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Heh... Are YOU going to tell one of the mainline Independent studios that can self-publish if they so saw fit, take it to ANY publisher they see fit to do so, that they CAN'T do what they've done? I wouldn't, even if I was Vivendi. It's just not a good thing to do.
        Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
        Now those are some news, indeed! Activision is also the publisher of choice for id and they don't mind them releasing their games commercially for Linux (nor their engines as GPL code)
        Oh right. You. ^_^

Comment

at the post before

Comment

Guess we can still hope

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I'm quite positive we'll see GNU+Linux support for idTech5. For Doom3, iD was primarily responsible for the Windows and Linux version, with the mac and xbox ports being done elsewhere. The latest Carmack masterpiece is even more portable than before, and I suspect if they release on the Mac, they will release on Linux. There's a good chance that the Mac port might be there at launch, so as to bolster the engine's portability claims, (frankly I hate the mac), but like doom 3, the linux port will probably be (at most) a few months late.

JC's response is typical in that he doesn't promise anything.

Comment

As long as for Mac and PS3 the engine has to use OpenGL there should be no real problem to release a Linux client. Usually ID does not use 3rd party tools like others so licencing problems should not be problematic too. Also wine can run the Win versions of the last games very well too - just because no D3D was used and the OpenGL wrapping is really fast.

Comment

I find it interesting how he mentions the different platforms that id tech 5 can run on as "pc, mac, x360 and ps3". That means that by "pc" he means both windows and linux, I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    I find it interesting how he mentions the different platforms that id tech 5 can run on as "pc, mac, x360 and ps3". That means that by "pc" he means both windows and linux, I assume.
                    Sadly, 'PC' means Windoughs, in this context.

Comment

Working...
                    X