UT3 Linux Client Is "In The Works"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    yeah. keep in mind that phoronix announced ~5 times that amd's tcore utility release was 'imminent' ;-)
    That was based on what John Bridgman was telling him- and I suspect that John honestly believed that. All it takes is one tidbit detail being off to impair your ability to defend yourself in a lawsuit or to prosecute infringers on your copyrights and patents. I have a niggling suspicion that they kept finding off pieces here and there and between that and trying to get their normal work done with the fglrx driver for workstations, the timeline for that kept slipping and slipping.

Comment

Originally posted by quintesse View Post
      For me it's the last time I will trust them to make good on their promise of a Linux client before one actually exists. I bought the Windows version in the understanding that a Linux client wasn't far off but now so much time later it just isn't worth it anymore. Even if a Linux client came out tomorrow the thrill of trying out a new game is gone. The fact that some are saying the game is dead on Windows as well only adds to the disappointment.
      First rule of thumb: If there is NOT a Linux client already available for you, either ON the disk or available for download, you are buying a WINDOWS title, not a Linux title. If you don't run Windows, why did you buy it, knowing there wasn't a client? On a promise? I hope they do release something- if not, I hope you learned your lesson on this. Sorry it had to be learned the hard way.

Comment

Good point, i think the linux client for ut2k4 was there on the DVD when it came out. That said, I think it was Mark Rein that said that no linux client would be on the ut3 DVD when it was going to be released, but it would be later available.

Comment

Was the client on the UT2K3 CDs?

Comment

Originally posted by SlickMcRunfast View Post
            Was the client on the UT2K3 CDs?
            Yes. It's why I'd bought it, 2k4, and had high hopes for UT3. I actually LIKED the game, they did "support" us, even if unofficially, and they provided a Linux installer. [edit] Keep in mind, that's UT2k3 that I'm talking about. UT3 isn't getting bought by me unless there's a Linux version here soon.
            Last edited by Svartalf; 11 July 2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

To me, it's a decision between supporting a company who is taking the time to release a popular Linux game, or penalizing a company who failed to deliver that product in a reasonable amount of time. UT3 has been out on other platforms for a long time now and anyone who was crazy about this game would have already picked it up there. I imagine that many of us who are mainly interested in Linux gaming (but not necessarily this particular title) have already lost interest and moved on to more recent titles that have come out on our platform.

I do hope the developers and more importantly their managers don't put to much weight on the Linux sales numbers for UT3 when deciding whether or not to release future titles on this platform, because they will be off by a wide margin if there are others who look at this situation like I do: too little too late.

Comment

Well, I got the game for Windows recently with a dual boot I set up because I was tired of using wine for TF2.

There is hardly anyone playing the game anymore online. For each mode, there was just a handful of servers that had any players on them. It seems pretty decent now in play terms, but I guess it was buggy when first released, and that turned a lot of people away. There seems to be as many people playing ut2004 now as there are playing unreal 3. I don't really feel it was worth the $30 I paid given the lack of online community.

So I'd say forget about the client. Maybe the next release will go smoother and keep the players for longer.

Comment

Unfortunately, your attitude is precisely why there are not many people playing. "Oh, there are not a lot of people online, I'll play something else." Get 200 people saying that and of course the game looks dead

I'm looking forward to the Linux client and still believe they will deliver it. This isn't as simple as saying "UT200X had it, so why can't UT3?" UT3 contains a lot more middleware than UT2004 did, so it's quite obvious that legal problems will arise.

And, yes, this is a reason why using too much middleware is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                    And, yes, this is a reason why using too much middleware is bad.
                    It's all just outsourcing in my book...

If UT3 truly is dying in the Windows market, there won't be much of a Linux community left to sell to. It looked good to me in February (which is why I double-checked to confirm there was a Linux client), but now, because of the crap they've given us, and my eventual boredom with a product, I'm probably not getting it anymore (let alone any more Epic or Epic-licensed products). Better (read, Blizzard) games like Starcraft II and Diablo III are peaking my interest now.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      First rule of thumb: If there is NOT a Linux client already available for you, either ON the disk or available for download, you are buying a WINDOWS title, not a Linux title. If you don't run Windows, why did you buy it, knowing there wasn't a client? On a promise? I hope they do release something- if not, I hope you learned your lesson on this. Sorry it had to be learned the hard way.
                      By buying Windows version when Linux client is in work he supports Epic and in same time - work on Linux client.

Comment

Working...
                      X