Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what about bigfishgames games? I know it would make my girlfriend happy, which in turn would make me happy ;-) battlerealms from liquid entertainment published by ubisoft might be a possibility, I'm sure liquid would be open to it since it won the best game noone played award a few years ago so a new and loyal fanbase would be a plus for them.

Comment

• FlatOut 2. Developed and published by Empire Interactive, distributed by Vivendi (Sierra) :P
      Whoa? No, it's still Bugbear's title. And has a windows version..

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Whoa? No, it's still Bugbear's title. And has a windows version..
        Remember my comments...

Just because a studio still makes something does not lead to them having control over publication rights. Many times, in order to get a publishing deal, they assign publication rights for a given title or range thereof to the publisher. Chances are, Empire's the one who has final say on a Linux version of anything out of the FlatOut franchise.

It won't hurt to talk to Bugbear and if you know someone with a bit of access to them to ask, by all means ask 'em to do so. It'll be a bit before I can get to asking them myself (It's on the list and is a bit more promising than some of the "maybe" items on the current list...).

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
          Wondering if in the flood of posts this one was missed.
          Yeah, it slipped through the cracks... Soldat's on the "getting checked into" list...

Comment

• The list has been recently updated to reflect the current state of affairs. You can look at what we've got going right now here. The position of the titles "being looked into" are relative to their current status. EU's engine is likely to happen at this point and is at the top of the list. The rest is obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dosfish View Post
              what about bigfishgames games? I know it would make my girlfriend happy, which in turn would make me happy ;-)
              Perhaps. Casual games are a big, big thing. I could sit and spin my wheels on the casual stuff, though, and not get as much initial traction as I would with some of what we've got in the mill. I am getting stretched a bit thin on this and a couple of other projects of mine and it's beginning to show. I'm digging in and making it all happen for what I've already signed up for and about to- but right now, doing the casual game stuff's going to be a bit over the top. Might revisit it later as I'm serious about the "trying to expand the overall catalog of Linux game titles" line I've been telling people now for a while.

battlerealms from liquid entertainment published by ubisoft might be a possibility, I'm sure liquid would be open to it since it won the best game noone played award a few years ago so a new and loyal fanbase would be a plus for them.
              Actually, you'll have an uphill battle with that one. You are thinking in terms of being rational about the title in question. Ubisoft, however, is going to have AAA title IP stars in their eyes and they're liable to want big bucks for the rights to produce a Linux version of anything they have in hand. It takes some deft negotiation, a friend of a friend deal, someone favoring Linux and doing the "right thing", or LOTS of cash to score AAA content.

Having said this, though, it's worth checking into...
              Last edited by Svartalf; 01 August 2008, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• DawnOfWar + expansions

This series rocks!!! sure DarkCrusade was a bit imba and a techrush but fun non the less

They all work really well under WINE (soulstorm needs a noCD crack since the gits added some BS DRM... lasted long didn't it)

DoW2 is due out next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Naib View Post
                  DawnOfWar + expansions

This series rocks!!! sure DarkCrusade was a bit imba and a techrush but fun non the less

They all work really well under WINE (soulstorm needs a noCD crack since the gits added some BS DRM... lasted long didn't it)

DoW2 is due out next year
                  It's a "maybe"- until we (The Linux Community) get taken a little more seriously, we're very likely to not get given the time of day by THQ. Now, if you know someone over at THQ or at Relic that could grease the way into getting a sweetheart deal on it...

[To everyone reading this thread...]

As a reminder to everyone, if it's a AAA title, unless you KNOW somone in the studio or the publisher and can sweet-talk the lot of them out of the insane royalties that they typically ask for or can sweet-talk 'em out of an unofficial Linux client, you can ask, but you will get told "maybe" at best. A title like DoW/DoW2 will set you back $20-50k, possibly more, just to have the privilege of having a shot at making a port. A title like UT3 or Rage will set you back somewhere in the six figures for the same. And, this presumes they will even give you the time of day- they may think you're wasting their time or they have contracts that lock in the deal to Windows/PS3/etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    It's a "maybe"- until we (The Linux Community) get taken a little more seriously, we're very likely to not get given the time of day by THQ. Now, if you know someone over at THQ or at Relic that could grease the way into getting a sweetheart deal on it...

[To everyone reading this thread...]

As a reminder to everyone, if it's a AAA title, unless you KNOW somone in the studio or the publisher and can sweet-talk the lot of them out of the insane royalties that they typically ask for or can sweet-talk 'em out of an unofficial Linux client, you can ask, but you will get told "maybe" at best. A title like DoW/DoW2 will set you back $20-50k, possibly more, just to have the privilege of having a shot at making a port. A title like UT3 or Rage will set you back somewhere in the six figures for the same. And, this presumes they will even give you the time of day- they may think you're wasting their time or they have contracts that lock in the deal to Windows/PS3/etc.
                    hey, over here! yea you! witchaven wont cost ya a thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      hey, over here! yea you! witchaven wont cost ya a thing.
                      Uh... I think we made this clear.

Willful copyright infringement can cost as much as $150k per instance in punitive damages in the States- there is no "oops, sorry" and get away with stopping unless the rights holder LETS you get off that way.

Unless you can find me (or I can find) the current rights holder (It did NOT go into the Public Domain- the only way something goes there is with an explicit written statement from the rights holder or the rights term expires, whichever comes first. Since this did NOT happen in either case...) any attempt to revive the games for which Les Bird has provided source code to (Technically, unless he's the rights holder, he's guilty of willful infringement as well...think about it.) will constitute willful infringement of the rights of whomever actually DOES hold the Copyrights.

Please, I know you're partly kidding here, but I'm dead serious about this. If anyone goes and does the work without what I've been trying to get in hand, permission from the rights holder, they will be on their own.

Any further commentary about, "there's this game and we've source and all and can port it", with regards to Witchaven, Witchaven II, TekWar, or similar, without having a clear and concise rights grant to those titles is a closed subject because of the aforementioned problem. Please, don't bring it up again unless you can find me a release to Public Domain or a rights grant from the rights holder that owns those titles (and there still IS one...) as I will NOT be entering into acts that willfully infringe someone's Copyright in this manner.

If you're thinking long and hard about it, you won't want to either.

Comment

Working...
                      X