Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by krzta View Post
    Nice! I would buy that one FOR SURE. Haven't Runesoft ported it to MAC recently?
    A couple of years ago, and IIRC, they were lacking the most recent expansion for HOI2. Plus it was only ever a MacOS release with no linux release.

Comment

• Originally posted by krzta View Post
      CD Projekt? You mean those Poles? I used to know some guys working there...(yeah, I'm a Pole too)
      Yes, those Poles. If I've read it right GoG happens to be a venture of theirs. If so, we, the community, would like to talk w/them regarding a Linux remix version of the titles they have rights to. You say you "used" to know some of them...would you still be able to talk w/them and ask them what they think on the subject?

Comment

• Great to hear about your possible titles.

Well, since I didnt want this effort to just stop, i did a quick lookup search on the us office of copyright records, looked up "witchaven" and came up with this:

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwe...&CNT=25&HIST=1

Under Copyright Claimant is said Intracorp Entertaintment.

So, apparently the defunct intracorp entertaintment is the owner of the rights. What does that mean in real life terms? Anyone knows?

Comment

• Probably died with the company.
          If a programmer has a copy of the source maybe we could tweak it. However unlikely.

Too bad about MW4 too. Seems like a lot of MS games use only that technology.
          Notice how MS is the only one with faith in their hardware and software. While the PS3 and Wii use OpenGL derivatives IIRC.

Maybe when I'm done with school I'll probably talk to Smith & Tinker about a new Battletech game then...
          Last edited by me262; 20 July 2008, 01:03 AM. Reason: Really shouldn't be quoting the article just above me, should I?

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
            Probably died with the company.
            If a programmer has a copy of the source maybe we could tweak it. However unlikely.
            We have a programmer who had the source code in his stuff- he even offers it for download, stating he doesn't know who has the rights at this time... We just need to find a determination as to what happens in this specific case- what happens when a corporate entity dies in a Chapter 7 and nobody takes on the works for hire done by the employees?

Comment

• That would set a really interesting precedent if this works then.
              If a software company dies and it's assets aren't bought, then the employees are free to do with the source code as they please.

... wonder if that could tie in with that story about Black9 you posted...
              Last edited by me262; 20 July 2008, 12:54 AM. Reason: Really shouldn't be quoting the article just above me, should I?

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                You say you "used" to know some of them...would you still be able to talk w/them and ask them what they think on the subject?
                It was long ago and it was much different company back then, but who knows, maybe some of them are still there... I'll try to find out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  We have a programmer who had the source code in his stuff- he even offers it for download, stating he doesn't know who has the rights at this time... We just need to find a determination as to what happens in this specific case- what happens when a corporate entity dies in a Chapter 7 and nobody takes on the works for hire done by the employees?
                  Where could we find out that determination? The US office of Copyright Records? Somewhere else? Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

• I'm thinking either a copyright lawyer (BLAM!) or a bankruptcy lawyer (BLAM!).
                    (Tagon shot those drones, we'll need another lawyer. Thank you Svartalf for turning me onto the Schlock Mercenary webcomics. (Although nothing beats the sight of Schlock eating the lawyers and wearing the necktie.))
                    Last edited by me262; 20 July 2008, 12:55 AM. Reason: Really shouldn't be quoting the article just above me, should I?

Comment

• ok, i did some research, and found out a few tidbits of information. First, ip assets are treated like any other property during a bankruptcy trial to try to pay off creditors. Then, the owners of those rights can lose the rights to their assets if they dont keep registering their ip. Although i dont think that's 100% accurate, since IP usually expires like 70 years after the creator's death. Dont know whats in the case of companies. Under the Intellectual Property Bankruptcy Act in the usa, debtors cant just ignore license contracts with licensees, but i dont think that applies here. Games are sold, not licensed to, like business productivity programs. There are situations where the rights revert back to the employees that created the work, but only when there was a specific agreement on that. ? think we would need to find out if intracorp was in debt when they folded, and who they owed money to, and if IP rights were sold, or transfered to those creditors as payoff.

Comment

Working...
                      X