Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    That one's been ported a long while back- Hyperion did it, did a better job with it than the attempt at SiN (There was something about what Ritual did with their engine code in SiN that didn't port over well and it made for choppy game play without an uber machine. SiN, itself was a bit of a heavyweight anyhow...). Shogo:MAD was a Monolith early title, using the Lithtech 2.0 engine. If it weren't for all the screwy stuff that Hyperion got themselves into with doing the AmigaOS work and then getting into a legal pissing match with the Amiga people over it when things went south on that deal... As it stands, with the low sales and Hyperion's future being largely at question (they've NOT been doing much of anything once the lawyers got involved with AOS...), I don't know if any further Lithtech stuff will happen anytime soon. They have their foot in the door over there- they MIGHT be able to sell someone on further Lithtech engine ports and games from the same- but only if they survive this and get back to doing game ports. The last little bit of porting work was a joint effort between them and LGP that got released back in 2006, Gorky 17.
    Hyperion did a nice work on Shogo, I must admit. I really, really hope Hyperion will sort things out with Amiga and might be able to get more LithTech-based games for Linux (and a patch for it and new distros)

Comment

• sniper elite does look cool, I'd like to second that as a matter of fact any of rebellions games would be cool

Comment

• What about working with CDProjeckt regarding porting these old games to linux:
        http://www.gog.com/en/intro
        Gamasutra interview: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=19368

Giants, Sacrifist, Fallout 2/tactics, Operation Flashpoint, MDK, and more...

There is NO DRM, in any of the titles, and they have been ported to new platforms (MDK used to be a DOS game).

Comment

• Originally posted by grigi View Post
          What about working with CDProjeckt regarding porting these old games to linux:
          http://www.gog.com/en/intro
          Gamasutra interview: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=19368

Giants, Sacrifist, Fallout 2/tactics, Operation Flashpoint, MDK, and more...

There is NO DRM, in any of the titles, and they have been ported to new platforms (MDK used to be a DOS game).
          Who actually owns the rights to MDK nowdays? Bioware? Double Helix Games? Or the dreaded Atari? I'm pretty sure its Bioware though. Which would make getting a port of MDK about as easy as Baldur's Gate (Sarcasm). Although I guess you never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
            Damn, so it's not very likely then. Interesting that there hasnt been any recent lithtech games lately, the most recent i can think of is one called Terrorist Takedown 2 by City Interactive.
            Which means you'd have to license the Lithtech Engine from Touchdown Entertainment (Renamed from Lithtech, Inc. which is the company Monolith formed to further the development and manage the licensing of the engine separate from the games Monolith produces...).

Originally posted by Touchdown Ent...
            Licensing packages range from $15,000 to $95,000 depending on a variety of developer options including: the development kit (Jupiter or Jupiter EX), integrated third party technologies, training and Jupiter/Jupiter EX software upgrades.
            Unless they license it out for platforms they don't support (which might be the case...) you can expect at least a $10k price tag for just the engine itself. I think we ought to check into it a bit further, but don't get your hopes up too much on it right at the moment.

Which brings me to the questions, do you think that company would be interested in a partnership with LGP? I tried emailing them but my emails were bounced off by their servers as spam.
            I can't speak for LGP themselves- in the end, I'm just one of the higher-up peons... If the game's good, fun to play, I can obtain the port project for a song and a dance and bring them another title that they only have to provide per-unit royalties on it might be doable. If the game's a hot one and I can secure an easy enough pricing schedule, it might happen. It's worth looking into- I just can't say for certain what will come of that process.

Another title i was thinking was maybe Operation Flashpoint from Bohemian Interactive, the ones that made ArmA.
            I'll check into it here...

Comment

• Originally posted by Malikith View Post
              Who actually owns the rights to MDK nowdays? Bioware? Double Helix Games? Or the dreaded Atari? I'm pretty sure its Bioware though. Which would make getting a port of MDK about as easy as Baldur's Gate (Sarcasm). Although I guess you never know.
              I was actually interested in talking with CDProjeckt about this as they've got the rights access to DO that stuff that way. What's to say that they can't do a Linux version? They're already offering the stuff for download without DRM from their online store.

Comment

• Who owns MDK...
                Shiny was the developer and co-publisher (so they probably owned the rights completely)
                Shiny split up to form Planet Moon Studios, and merged with the Collective to form Double Helix Games.

So the rights is probably owned by either Planet Moon or Double Helix...

Comment

• Unless they license it out for platforms they don't support (which might be the case...) you can expect at least a $10k price tag for just the engine itself. I think we ought to check into it a bit further, but don't get your hopes up too much on it right at the moment.
                  Ah, so if they're able to license it to the unsupported linux platform, will it cost less than 10k then? Then there's hope.

I can't speak for LGP themselves- in the end, I'm just one of the higher-up peons... If the game's good, fun to play, I can obtain the port project for a song and a dance and bring them another title that they only have to provide per-unit royalties on it might be doable. If the game's a hot one and I can secure an easy enough pricing schedule, it might happen. It's worth looking into- I just can't say for certain what will come of that process.
                  Ah, ok, I found about this company a while back, like a few months ago, and I was surprised when i went to their site to see that they have an office near where I live. Well, not near, but like 20 minutes away. They make all kinds of games, not only fps games like Terrorist Takedown 2, but adventure games as well. I dont think their games are "hot", so there might be a possiblity there.

Comment

• Age of wonders: shadow magic. It's a tbs with an active community.

Comment

• Originally posted by storma View Post
                      Age of wonders: shadow magic. It's a tbs with an active community.

http://aow.heavengames.com/
                      Looks interesting. But...

Anything with this title would depend on the studio being interested and Epic, their publisher, not being too stung by the vitriol from the community on the now 7+ months late release (Perhaps next month, like TuxGames is indicating with an unconfirmed release date...) of the UT3 client side piece.

It's a "maybe" because of whom the publisher is. They've been friendly in the past as studio and publisher. But I don't have a feel for what they're thinking right now with the current imbroglio on UT3 with us.

Things you do can either open or close doors on deals in the games industry because it's almost as incestuous as the music and movie industries these days. There's a reason I'm being guarded in what I say about UT3 not shipping yet...

Comment

Working...
                      X