Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd consider games from Revolutions as potential targets for Linux ports. They've been fairly understandable when it comes to legacy titles. They allowed the ScummVM folks to re-encode the Circle of Blood cutscenes into a different format, or so I am told.

Official website of Revolution Software, making video games since 1990. Best known for adventure games Broken Sword, and Beyond A Steel Sky
    Last edited by niniendowarrior; 10 July 2008, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      I did some checking...

Unless there's an explicit rights assignment for each instance of a work, software tends to be not considered a work for hire based off of precedent. A statement of all software work done for the employer by the employee won't cut it for the company either- they have to explicitly delineate the work the person does for you as an employee, and if it changes because of role change or line of business change, they HAVE to give you a new agreement or that clause usually gets thrown out if it goes to court as it's not presumed to be a work for hire except for a narrow range of things considered literary or artistic works.

Typically, you'd have to go to court to sort that sort of mess out, so most people don't dicker over the code- even at a game studio.

Having said this, we need to see if we can find the publisher's management or Les Bird's employment agreement before forging forward with the code he's providing on his website.

It's not out of the question, but it's forbidden fruit for now.
      I think Intracorp published its own games, I could be wrong nonetheless. Do you think Les Bird would have the employment agreement he had with Capstone/Intracorp available? Ill try emailing him.

Comment

• Hehehe, maybe this is a little off, but what about this game?

Spiderweb Software creates epic indie fantasy adventures for Windows, Macintosh, and the iPad, including the hit Avernum, Geneforge and Avadon series.

Its a 1997 game called Blades of Exile. The company that made it released the full source code of it under the GPL. I havent played it, but i've read that it was a very fun and popular turn based game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malikith View Post
          Some of the titles may be pretty old, but if you take a game such as Raptor, have options so you can play it at say 1680x1050 or 1280x1024 and add a HQ filter or just new higher resolution replicas of the old graphics I think you got a game that can sell pretty decently. I mean yeah I understand your point if I was buying a game today that runs at 320x200 and costed me at least 20$ yeah I could see your point but I don't think that will happen.

You could almost just call it Raptor: Call of The Shadows Enhanced and its a Linux exclusive, instantly you got something no one else does. I think its a win win.

Yea, all these titles could potentially get an upgrade, a "2.0" enhanced edition, as everyone is saying, making them even better than "modern" games. Most of them are more fun and better than most new titles the way they are now.

Comment

• Originally posted by krzta View Post
            OK, so honestly, what's the deal? We are stucked (at best) with 10 years old titles or nothing? Because almost any title mentioned in this thread is marked as "no deal" or "probably no deal"...
            I have $100k. Soon you'll all see Gears of War 2 ported natively on Linux

btw, in case anyone didnt notice, i was being sarcastic.

Comment

• Neverwinter Nights 2.

NWN has seen tremendous support in Linux, and when NWN2 announced there wouldn't be a Linux version, people flipped. I'm not sure if it has an OpenGL rendering engine in it or not, but maybe Obsidian/Bioware can make this one right with the Lcommunity.

Jedi Knight II / Jedi Academy

Built on the Quake 3 engine. Need I say more?
              Maybe we can twist Lucas's arm.

Star Trek Armada / Elite Force / EF2

Don't know much about the underlying engines. Popular ones in that era are Quake 3, UT, or MaxFX

hmm... Max Payne...

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                Yea, all these titles could potentially get an upgrade, a "2.0" enhanced edition, as everyone is saying, making them even better than "modern" games. Most of them are more fun and better than most new titles the way they are now.
                Yeah, the way games were made 10 years ago are far different from the way they make games today. I'm not saying every game of today is horrible but the replay value of games nowdays has definitely went down. The only games I can really name that don't apply to this are alot of the indie games.

I mean you port a game like Raptor, obviously you are going to have to do some tweaking to the engine during the porting process. I think adding a 2d scaler like 2xsai, supereagle, or hq2x/3x would be great since then we could run these games at higher resolutions and better detail with practically no effort. Good examples of that kind of scaler usage is best seen in Zsnes the Snes emulator and Exult the Ultima 7 engine.

Comment

• Escape Velocity by Ambrosia Software

They've ported it to Windows, it runs on Mac. I think it's time the shareware scene got a taste of Linux!

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    I think Intracorp published its own games, I could be wrong nonetheless. Do you think Les Bird would have the employment agreement he had with Capstone/Intracorp available? Ill try emailing him.
                    Intracorp was the publisher, Capstone was the captive studio for the same. Les MIGHT have a lead on the people to talk to- and he might have his old employment agreements (I have all of mine, I just can't lay hands on some of my old ones...). Since you've gotten in touch with him in the past, would you be so kind as to try to get in touch with him again?

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
                      Neverwinter Nights 2.

NWN has seen tremendous support in Linux, and when NWN2 announced there wouldn't be a Linux version, people flipped. I'm not sure if it has an OpenGL rendering engine in it or not, but maybe Obsidian/Bioware can make this one right with the Lcommunity.
                      Not their decision. It's Atari's- just as the Linux version of the Witcher was also nixed by them. Not going to happen. They've made it dead clear they're not friendly to us whatsoever in spite of the metrics that show that we comprised roughly 1/3 of their customer base or more on NWN.

Jedi Knight II / Jedi Academy

Built on the Quake 3 engine. Need I say more?
                      Maybe we can twist Lucas's arm.
                      Riiight... That's like you're going to twist VU's arm. Not going to happen.

Star Trek Armada / Elite Force / EF2

Don't know much about the underlying engines. Popular ones in that era are Quake 3, UT, or MaxFX
                      Don't know offhand about ST:Armada yet, or EF- but EF2 was done by Ritual. Rights are not likely and while Ritual used the Q3:Arena engine as a baseline, we haven't a clue just how modified it was, nor do we have the game framework DLL (which is what defines the game around the assets against the engine- without it you don't have a game, you've just an engine.).

hmm... Max Payne...
                      Heh... The only really relatively practical one of the bunch, so far. I can envision maybe talking to them about it- but we don't have the chops yet to do that sort of negotiation. Definitely no cash position as would be required for the work.

Comment

Working...
                      X