Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The head of the thread now has been updated with the current Dead-In-The-Water, Maybe, and Cheking Into titles suggested in the forums.

If you want to see the list, click here.

This thread's gotten long in the tooth and I will probably make a MKII version of the thread here shortly with the lists so we can keep track of it all.

I would like to ask people to keep this honest. It's not a blind wish list for anything and everything- it's a request for suggestions of cool stuff that someone, myself or others, can realistically obtain the rights to produce a Linux port for. If you've got an inside connection with a AAA title producing studio or their publisher so that it's possible, say so when you ask for it- otherwise put the pie in the sky aspirations elsewhere, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Can you stop and be serious like you were with the Falcon 4 suggestion?
      How is Lucasarts, or do they ask for insane cash?

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        How is Lucasarts, or do they ask for insane cash?
        I don't know about recent times, but they've been uninterested in things without lots of it. That's why, while I really like KotOR, it's not on the maybe list right at the moment. I don't think the Force Unleashed is a prospect right at the moment...

[edit]
        I'll tickle them after we get going on one or more of the current seriously evaluated titles are more gelled or in progress- unless someone can get our foot in the door there, that is...

Comment

• I haven't seen anyone mention either of these particular titles before, so here's my wish list:
          • Curse: The Eye of Isis
          • Theme Hospital

I think EA holds the rights to Theme Hospital, but I'm not sure who retains the rights for Curse.

Comment

• I think Grand Prix Legends is really a dead-end, IMO. They were published by Sierra and that probably means it's not going to bode well. I doubt Papyrus owns the rights on that title.

Here's an idea, Svartalf. Oblivion and Morrowind are out of the picture for fairly obvious reasons. I wonder if Bethesda would be interested in an update/port of Daggerfall into 3D. What do you think?

Also, maybe you can ask Capcom if they can license out Devil May Cry or Resident Evil... you just never know.
            Last edited by niniendowarrior; 07 July 2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• I wonder if Bethesda would be interested in an update/port of Daggerfall into 3D.
              Might be easier to learn the file formats and base your own engine around them, instead of updating such an old and buggy code base. Something the open source community could do itself instead of having someone get the code and keep it closed. But they did release Arena for free.. maybe someone could poke them about open-sourcing Arena and Daggerfall..

I'm wondering why Morrowind/Oblivion aren't very viable options. AFAIK, Oblivion's engine is based off Morrowind's, which is Bethesda's own. Oblivion does use Havok though, which is the only thing I can think of. Or is it because of the licensed MP3/NIF file formats?

Comment

• Just a couple of ideas that I don't think anyone has mentioned (from the newly edited first post). These are from indie teams, so I'm unsure of how Linux friendly they would be:

Live for Speed - I haven't played this myself, but I'd sure like to when I do my next build (and better internet from moving). Looking at their site you'll find this, though. I'm unsure how they'd feel about other people taking it on.

Wik and the Fable of Souls - Loved the concept from when I tried the trial version (1 hour of free time). Only reason I didn't get it was the lack of a Linux port. I couldn't really find their stance towards porting from a quick search. It is on XBLA, though...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Might be easier to learn the file formats and base your own engine around them, instead of updating such an old and buggy code base. Something the open source community could do itself instead of having someone get the code and keep it closed. But they did release Arena for free.. maybe someone could poke them about open-sourcing Arena and Daggerfall..

I'm wondering why Morrowind/Oblivion aren't very viable options. AFAIK, Oblivion's engine is based off Morrowind's, which is Bethesda's own. Oblivion does use Havok though, which is the only thing I can think of. Or is it because of the licensed MP3/NIF file formats?
                  Well, for Daggerfall, I wasn't really thinking about getting the code and porting it. More like starting a new game project fresh and just simply having rights into stamping it as Daggerfall. If it's going to be an update, most of the assets are going to go out of the window.

If you're interested in running the old Daggerfall on Linux... http://www.gamehourz.com/Linux-ftopict83131.html

Morrowind and Oblivion most likely will have Bethesda ask for a truckload of money to do. I don't think anyone can afford to do that right now.
                  Last edited by niniendowarrior; 07 July 2008, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                    Well, for Daggerfall, I wasn't really thinking about getting the code and porting it. More like starting a new game project fresh and just simply having rights into stamping it as Daggerfall. If it's going to be an update, most of the assets are going to go out of the window.
                    Unfortunately, Bethesda doesn't seem too keen on giving out those rights. Dungeon Hack tried that and got told no. Though I don't think details where given as to why.. maybe it was just a money issue.

But still, a home-grown engine that handles Daggerfall's assets is a viable option. Sort of like how Doom's various GL ports work.. use the regular game stuff when there, while allowing overrides with higher resolution formats (eg. allowing models to override the sprites, double-resolution true-color compressed textures in place of the game-provided ones, etc).

If you're interested in running the old Daggerfall on Linux... http://www.gamehourz.com/Linux-ftopict83131.html
                    Running Daggerfall in DosBox has proven to be a pain. Despite my system (AMD Athlon X2 4200+), I can't find any speed setting that runs the game smoothly.. either the in-game is all jumpy, or the videos are out of sync.

Morrowind and Oblivion most likely will have Bethesda ask for a truckload of money to do. I don't think anyone can afford to do that right now.
                    Can't hurt to ask. Bethesda doesn't seem to have any plans regarding Oblivion (no more ports mentioned, no more expansions or patches planned), so..

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Unfortunately, Bethesda doesn't seem too keen on giving out those rights. Dungeon Hack tried that and got told no. Though I don't think details where given as to why.. maybe it was just a money issue.

But still, a home-grown engine that handles Daggerfall's assets is a viable option. Sort of like how Doom's various GL ports work.. use the regular game stuff when there, while allowing overrides with higher resolution formats (eg. allowing models to override the sprites, double-resolution true-color compressed textures in place of the game-provided ones, etc).
                      That might be a possible route to take though I think that's a very difficult project just the same.

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Running Daggerfall in DosBox has proven to be a pain. Despite my system (AMD Athlon X2 4200+), I can't find any speed setting that runs the game smoothly.. either the in-game is all jumpy, or the videos are out of sync.
                      I've never used Dosbox for anything so I wouldn't know. I think I saw someone play Daggerfall on Dosbox and I think he removed the videos or something.

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Can't hurt to ask. Bethesda doesn't seem to have any plans regarding Oblivion (no more ports mentioned, no more expansions or patches planned), so..
                      Nope. Doesn't hurt at all to ask. But it looks very dim right now. The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train.

Comment

Working...
                      X