Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chessmaster is great for its tutorials, puzzles, database, and teaching tools It's the best in that regard.

Comment

• I don't know if anybody alredy sead about this,but maybe we will get a really cool game for linux and soon.Most of us know it allredy as Natural Selection,but it seems that they might port NS2 to linux and mac.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        This title will probably never see a native Linux version even though it should be easy to port. It's the most successful title for PC ever. I guess it runs in Wine, but I'd love a native version:

The Chessmaster series :P Latest version is Chessmaster XI. Rights owned by Ubisoft I think.
        I cant see Chessmaster being a viable port when I can grab at least 1/2 dozzen different chess games/engines from the Ubuntu repo already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tycho451 View Post
          Stardock had mods asking for input about future goals in their forum. I brought up Linux, mentioned this thread and LGP and the mod said he'll ask the devs. But in the end report about the suggestions they simply wrote about other platforms that they'll stay focused on their primary windows customer base.

But maybe Svartalf can get better results
          I asked too some time back if they would consider porting Sins to linux. They quickly replied with a short but objective NO.

Comment

• And Yet It Moves might be a good candidate as it has a Mac port already and it from and indie dev.

Comment

• Just a few thoughts:
              • Don't spend effort on porting games that already run fine & flawless with wine. Jets'N'Guns was such an example, I stumbled upon it in one of these discount markets where it was one of those games you'd get for 1? - I bought it and it ran on wine like a charm. So I was a bit surprised when I read that you were about to put money into this and make a native port. Sure, on appdb there are various opinions on what can be considered as running fine, but I think, you can use wine (maybe install DirectX) and run the game without any restriction on any capable Hardware (there are issues with wine on Ati hardware, when wine uses vendor specific OpenGL extensions by nvidia to emulate DirectX calls)
              • It would be cool if you could get hands on Drakensang, as that's quiet an up to date game. I would not port an old game if it was not a all time favorite or was horribly underrated in the first place. If the game used to be good when it came out, most people have played it already, if it wasn't, you wouldn't bother anyway. But only few people would play it years later, when it's not 'hype' any more (expect of cause, it was really good, but that often means too expansive for you to get)
              • As porting original games/games you could always play is what you want to do, a suggestion would be The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary. It's develeoped by Blue Byte/Funatics and published by Ubisoft (outlook's bad?) - It's a remake of Blue Bytes original Settlers II (1996) which is widely considered as the best of the series. And so they did the best they could for the 10th anniversary edition: they did not change the gameplay. They just fixed some annoyances and gave it a great 3D engine with a timeless (as timeless as WC3) look. It's a great strategy game with a big fan base, but it's a rather slow, almost causal and relaxing game. Would be cool if you could port this (there is also an addon) but I don't know weather Ubisoft, Funatics or Blue Byte are responsible.

Comment

• Nah, that's exactly the point. If you tell people to play it on wine it counts as a windows game. We want though linux games and this means anything including emulation is a no-go. That's the reason why this is done the way it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Nah, that's exactly the point. If you tell people to play it on wine it counts as a windows game. We want though linux games and this means anything including emulation is a no-go. That's the reason why this is done the way it is.
                  But that's a very ideological point of view. The average gamer just wants the game to run on Linux - If you like you may ship it with libwine.
                  Porting is not for free, so porting something that already works just for ideologicy's sake is an effort that could be better used by porting something that does not run properly with wine. (and will get more customers as the windows version often has already dropped to a lower price than the new ported Linux version)

Comment

• Nope, that's not the point. If you using Wine then the game producers count this as a windows sale. And if there is no increase in linux sells then they will never ever put more effort into making a 0-day linux client. You see the problem? If we use Wine and promote Wine we kill ourselves future linux clients. It's a paradox situation but right now it's the only thing one can do even if it hurts.

Comment

• I think Mewtwo is taking a slightly different view which is that if you can only port one of two games, pick the one that doesn't work in wine over the one that does. There is a certain logic to this stance, whether you agree with it or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X