Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gforum View Post
    hey Svartalf have you thought(and maybe this is old news but...) about supporting the linux effort on Ctp2 over at apolyton.net, and who knows maybe getting in touch with activision for a linux official release?
    (or maybe just helping their version become stable, out of pure linux devotion)

maybe this is old news like i said, but if not...

its a given i think.

cheers
    Is this game in any way related to the sid meier civilization games?

And btw, whats the license this source code was released under? Cant find it anywhere.
    Last edited by xav1r; 14 January 2009, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post

And btw, whats the license this source code was released under? Cant find it anywhere.
      Yeah it's Civilization although I didn't realise that activation released the source code. :O

Anyway http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=139275 answers most the questions you'll have. The page they have for the EULA doesn't appear to be working (at least not for me)

Comment

Call to Power 2 is the sequel to Civ:CTP. Activision didn't have the rights to the Civilization trademark association past the one title. They recycled a bit of the Civ:CTP code to do it, so it's definitely doable to move it over since the rendering pieces didn't change all that much, from what I understand.

Licenses: this is the license I'm under the understanding that it's under.

The assets are...a tough one. Nobody's really got them available (you can scrounge for 'em online...maybe get lucky in a used shop setting...) and unless you've got them, you're not playing the game in question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Call to Power 2 is the sequel to Civ:CTP. Activision didn't have the rights to the Civilization trademark association past the one title. They recycled a bit of the Civ:CTP code to do it, so it's definitely doable to move it over since the rendering pieces didn't change all that much, from what I understand.

Licenses: this is the license I'm under the understanding that it's under.

The assets are...a tough one. Nobody's really got them available (you can scrounge for 'em online...maybe get lucky in a used shop setting...) and unless you've got them, you're not playing the game in question.
          Weird license. Speaking of CivII, theres interest in the 2kforums, about getting the source code of Civilization II released.

The moderators over there apparently dont have very clear the meaning of a source code release it seems.

Comment

• Speaking of possible game porting projects, Svartalf, the other time you told me that regarding IP rights, when the company that made the title goes kaput, no one buys its IP, the courts dont keep the rights, and they dont transfer them to anyone, then in the case of the intracorp games, those rights then belong to Les Bird, and the rest of the former intracorp employees that worked on them, right? So, then, the source code is there, the assets are there, the IP owners are there, so whats missing? Would it be necessary to get a written consent from ALL the former intracorp employees? I think most of them, including Les himself, work at a company called AWE games. Dunno if that helps. Do you think Les Bird or some of his former intracorp colleagues would go all greedy, you'll have to pay me six figures for me to let you port this game, if we approach them?

Comment

Speaking of possible game porting projects, Svartalf, the other time you told me that regarding IP rights, when the company that made the title goes kaput, no one buys its IP, the courts dont keep the rights, and they dont transfer them to anyone, then in the case of the intracorp games, those rights then belong to Les Bird, and the rest of the former intracorp employees that worked on them, right? So, then, the source code is there, the assets are there, the IP owners are there, so whats missing? Would it be necessary to get a written consent from ALL the former intracorp employees? I think most of them, including Les himself, work at a company called AWE games. Dunno if that helps. Do you think Les Bird or some of his former intracorp colleagues would go all greedy, you'll have to pay me six figures for me to let you port this game, if we approach them?
              It's not as simple as you are trying to make it seem, if it were they probably would have released Fate at some point. (The demo made it out the door before they folded so it was almost done)

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                It's not as simple as you are trying to make it seem, if it were they probably would have released Fate at some point. (The demo made it out the door before they folded so it was almost done)
                Ok, so what legal obstacles are there in the way now? Can you enlighten me please?

Comment

• Interesting read from the ctp2 source code FAQ:

8) This all still sounds too good to be true. What's the catch?

Yes, unfortunately there is a catch. This is that Activision had to remove all the comments from the code. These comments don't affect the way the code runs, but they greatly facilitate in understanding how it works. The reason for removing these comments is that some of them may have made references that could in some way embarrass Activision or (ex-)Activision employees, or worse: get them into legal or other problems. Because going through millions of lines of code and removing such undesirable comments by hand would have taking a huge amount of resources (and time), it was decided to simply delete all comments (though 'all' is a big word as we've already found a whole bunch of interesting comments in various places in the code, so some remnants are still left). The work of this project has begun to replace these comments with new comments of our own, but our work falls far short of what existed originally.
                  I can probably understand the legal reasons, to a point, but embarrasing? Regarding legal, there were probably comments like these:

Code:
                  /* For this part, we ripped off everything from the master of orion code since we couldnt come up with a better way. */
                  But what about embarrasing? Maybe an often use of curse words in the style of id's Q3A's source code release?

Comment

But what about embarrasing? Maybe an often use of curse words in the style of id's Q3A's source code release?

That's more likely. The Linux kernel crowd's not at all ashamed of droppin' f-bombs and the lot in the comments. Businesses, however, "must" be politically correct- and there might have been disparaging remarks about competitors or partner companies in the mix as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                      Actually, they may not realize what the rights are respective to the code in question.

Most people doing software development have been led to believe something about what their actual rights end up being in those situations, so they probably didn't do anything with it. If they've got source and assets, though...

Comment

Working...
                      X