Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Now that the Area 51 game is completely free, I wonder if it could be a candidate. Published by Midway IIRC.

http://www.askvg.com/download-area-5...solutely-free/
    It might be. I'll dig into it a bit further.

We might be onto something with the advert supported stuff, actually. There's actually a compelling reason as long as there's enough people providing the "eyeballs" to get them to sign off on a small interest helping them get the game there, under NDA, for Linux. So long as it doesn't turn into spyware, or it gets too obnoxious with the ads, I think this would be doable on both sides of the equation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      No longer supported- the support went the way of the dodo when Loki Games did the same. If you can FIND a copy, I would be surprised- buy it if you've not already done so (Heh...I have my copy back from when Loki was still a going concern... ). Moreover, you may have issues with making it work with some of the modern distros. It's on the list to "revive" a Linux version as it's still one of those "viable" titles on the Windows side of things right at the moment (After the fashion GoG has gotten some of the "oldies but very goodies" back on the scene as a going concern.

Either Firaxis has the source and it's just a matter of cleaning it up for re-release against a modern compiler chain- or re-inventing the wheel because Loki didn't quite keep their word on that score when they went belly up.
      Plus if you can pick up the expansion, which is a pain to get for windows as it was never re-released...

Comment

• I have both SMAC and Crossfire. This was the version sold at tuxgames.

The game is so old now it's no wonder it isn't released as open source.

Comment

• Originally posted by b15hop View Post
          I have both SMAC and Crossfire. This was the version sold at tuxgames.

The game is so old now it's no wonder it isn't released as open source.
          The windows version is an ongoing concern (they still sell budget copies of SMAC). I'm not sure of the details for the Tuxgames version, but they have it marked as not being the original Loki port, is it some form of wine wrapped version?

Comment

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
            The windows version is an ongoing concern (they still sell budget copies of SMAC). I'm not sure of the details for the Tuxgames version, but they have it marked as not being the original Loki port, is it some form of wine wrapped version?
            From TuxGames:

Search for Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

Category Strategy, God Game
            By Loki Games
            Price $30.00
            Language English
            Availability Temporarily Sold Out

It's the Loki version, and I don't think there's any more copies, save used ones, in hand, unless they get another supplier for them. To the best of my knowledge, the only Loki developed titles to have any publishing support past the implosion was Mindrover. Everything else pretty much dried up- allegedly the source code went back to the studios. The problem was that Loki had the rights situation so confused in the minds of the studios and publishers that they were unwilling to use the codebase to anything Loki published for fear of being sued over it's use- even though they had the full rights to it once the company Chapter 7'ed. There's a reason we don't have DeusEx right at the moment.

Comment

• Read a bit further down the info page...

Originally posted by tuxgames
              IMPORTANT NOTE:
              The version we are shipping is the Windows version with a Linux installer CD, not the original Loki version

Comment

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                Read a bit further down the info page...

Heh... Didn't catch that...

That's bad.

I guess there's good reason then to try to talk w/Firaxis on whatever happened to the Loki version, etc.

Comment

• I've always wanted to play with the caviar models in smac. It's impossible to find anything in regards to them though.. :/

Comment

• Hi, all I am new to the forums but have been using Phoronix forever now.
                    I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Dawn of War and its expansions will not be ported over to Linux. THQ refuses any kind of Linux support. I used to work at THQ as a QA tester, I worked on Juiced 2 Hot Import Nights as well as the Soulstorm expansion for Dawn of War so you might as well edit that maybe list for DoW and add it to dead end.

Comment

• Originally posted by bakednoodle View Post
                      Hi, all I am new to the forums but have been using Phoronix forever now.
                      I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Dawn of War and its expansions will not be ported over to Linux. THQ refuses any kind of Linux support. I used to work at THQ as a QA tester, I worked on Juiced 2 Hot Import Nights as well as the Soulstorm expansion for Dawn of War so you might as well edit that maybe list for DoW and add it to dead end.
                      Maybe Svartalf missed it, but I'm pretty sure some time ago someone mentioned DoW. But yeah, that's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X