Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
    yeah. sony online...
    Planetfall or Planetside I think it was called.

However given it's by Sony, they probably won't be interested unless it's under lock, key, chained, boxed, and underwater with copy protection.
    hehehe, probably. And to be honest im not sure about the ubisoft games, i read from someone on the web that it wasnt possible anymore to download and play those games.

Comment

• I read the entire thread (all 69 pages of it) and I dont see specific mention of these titles, would they be possibilities?

Race Driver (either the current title or one of the older ones, GoG is selling at least one of the RD titles now). Plus, a port of Race Driver would likely allow a port of other racing games on the same engine (i.e. that Rally game)

Universe At War by Petroglyph. Their other title is a Star Wars game and given that Lucas wont give you the time of day unless you have a huge team of people and big bucks, I dont see that working. But UAW may be possible depending on how friendly SEGA (or more specifically their PC publishing arm) are towards efforts like this.

Rollercoaster Tycoon (RCT3 with both expansion packs and supporting the vast range of unofficial user-created content thats out there would be nice). I know Chris Sawyer invented the series and that the third in the series was made by Frontier Developments. No clue who currently owns the rights to the series or the code/assets.

Myst series (Myst/Riven). Published by Red Orb and developed by Cyan. Apparently the first one was the best selling PC game of all time until The Sims came along. May not be possible to port because of the heavy use of QuickTime video clips for most of the game though.

Supreme Commander. Unlike earlier GPG games, this one was published by THQ (so as far as I know, Microsoft has no rights or say on it)

Comment

• Originally posted by jonwil View Post
        I read the entire thread (all 69 pages of it) and I dont see specific mention of these titles, would they be possibilities?
        All 69 pages, I'm impressed. Welcome to the thread.

Race Driver (either the current title or one of the older ones, GoG is selling at least one of the RD titles now). Plus, a port of Race Driver would likely allow a port of other racing games on the same engine (i.e. that Rally game)
        It's being considered. Right now, the initial contacts have been made with GoG to see what they have to say about things. Apparently they've got sufficient rights to ensure it works on XP and Vista (meaning they've got porting access as needed) and they indicated that they're not against Linux/MacOS versions of the stuff, just that they don't have enough manpower to do much more than they're doing right now. If this is actually the case, providing a bit of manpower for the work however they'd like for it to happen, would be bringing this and other titles in their lineup into the Linux world.

Universe At War by Petroglyph. Their other title is a Star Wars game and given that Lucas wont give you the time of day unless you have a huge team of people and big bucks, I dont see that working. But UAW may be possible depending on how friendly SEGA (or more specifically their PC publishing arm) are towards efforts like this.
        They're likely to be a pain like Ubi and THQ will be (which is the same as LucasArts...)- anything involved with those publishers will be a "maybe" unless someone an inside connection with SEGA or the studio retained online publication rights to the game and we can get our foot in that way.

Rollercoaster Tycoon (RCT3 with both expansion packs and supporting the vast range of unofficial user-created content thats out there would be nice). I know Chris Sawyer invented the series and that the third in the series was made by Frontier Developments. No clue who currently owns the rights to the series or the code/assets.
        I'll check into this one further here in a bit. I'm a bit swamped- I think I've sorted out most of the sound issues with Bandits (but have to verify this...) and need to get the ball rolling on the deals I might have on hand for other projects (Incl. possibly bringing Disciples 2 around for LGP...).

Myst series (Myst/Riven). Published by Red Orb and developed by Cyan. Apparently the first one was the best selling PC game of all time until The Sims came along. May not be possible to port because of the heavy use of QuickTime video clips for most of the game though.
        Not realistic. You'd need the full Quicktime suite as they relied heavily on the framework as well as the video playback to accomplish this game.

Supreme Commander. Unlike earlier GPG games, this one was published by THQ (so as far as I know, Microsoft has no rights or say on it)
        It's a THQ title. We need to get our chops, as it were, on a few things before we go and talk directly to THQ, UbiSoft, SEGA, etc. unless we've got a friend/friend of a friend that'll allow us to get our foot in the door. They're going to want entirely too much money and very probably a team of people working on anything we get access to, something we have neither of right at the moment.

Comment

• Does anyone have any info on why Atari/Infogrames is openly hostile (I see a lot of mentions in the thread saying that Atari was not even worth asking whereas others like EA or Sega or UbiSoft would be likely to say yes if enough money was able to be put on the table)

Comment

• Originally posted by jonwil View Post
            Does anyone have any info on why Atari/Infogrames is openly hostile (I see a lot of mentions in the thread saying that Atari was not even worth asking whereas others like EA or Sega or UbiSoft would be likely to say yes if enough money was able to be put on the table)
            Maybe its because of their previous track on games published by them, specially NWN 2. Too much sour grapes there.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
              Maybe its because of their previous track on games published by them, specially NWN 2. Too much sour grapes there.
              That would be it, yes. NWN2 is a very sore subject. They had metrics indicating that roughly 45% or more of their userbase was Linux users in the case of NWN. They chose to rip the OpenGL rendering code completely out in favor of DirectX9c code (which wasn't needed- they could have had distinct OpenGL and D3D backends, but...) as part of a bid to make an X-Box 360 port that never got past the stages of doing the OpenGL rip-out.

Couple that with ignoring the fact that they were snubbing a substantive part of the customer base for the game, especially in their discussion threads...

Sadly, it didn't need to be that way, but Atari chose that path all the same.

[edit]

And, we won't even get into the rumored axing of The Witcher (CD Projeckt wanted to do one, Atari said "no", supposedly)- which didn't have the same production issues that NWN2 had with it because it could have been handled the same way Bioware did NWN- it was using the same engine code that NWN uses.
              Last edited by Svartalf; 02 October 2008, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• That said, Infogrames appear to be trying to eke some pennies out of old franchises they have the publishing rights to, so...

I'm going to wait until we have something to point to as having been at least semi-successful before trying to approach them though.

Comment

• maybe now that duke nukem 3d is on the xbox live they will probably consider putting their classic build games, like blood, on xbox live too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    That would be it, yes. NWN2 is a very sore subject. They had metrics indicating that roughly 45% or more of their userbase was Linux users in the case of NWN. Couple that with ignoring the fact that they were snubbing a substantive part of the customer base for the game, especially in their discussion threads...
                    I remember posting my vote for a Linux client in those boards. I couldn't believe how many people posted in that one. A good chunk of them said they owned all the expansions too, and one had bought 6 copies of the game.
                    Bioware also handed the development off to Obsidian IIRC. Just shows that while people may be interested, it takes just one person / link in the production chain to say "no".

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
                      I remember posting my vote for a Linux client in those boards. I couldn't believe how many people posted in that one. A good chunk of them said they owned all the expansions too, and one had bought 6 copies of the game.
                      Heh... Votes didn't matter. In this case, sadly, apparently neither did actual sales/execution metrics where they knew just how many Linux users there really were.

Bioware also handed the development off to Obsidian IIRC. Just shows that while people may be interested, it takes just one person / link in the production chain to say "no".
                      From what I understand, while the decision to have Obsidian do the sequel so that Bioware could move on to their other projects ongoing right at the moment was Bioware's, the rest was publisher driven decisions, not Obsidian's, from what I was able to gather from everything going on.

Typically, it's the publisher these days that says "no" to something or ends up producing the "delays" we've seen with UT3. Keep that in mind when you ask for one of these games- they're the ones with final say unless the studio managed to reserve a loophole with online distribution or with non-Windows platforms and holds the rights on the other stuff still.

Comment

Working...
                      X