Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
    I'm so happy that Hostile Waters made it to the "being looked into" list, even though it was only mentioned twice on the forum

If it's going to be ported, will you include the unreleased multiplayer patched mentioned here?
    Although that's another one of my favourite classics I never heard that there was a MP Version. I just always thought "Man...wouldn't that be great to play with a friend?".

It's real painful to hear there's a version but noone can have it.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      Has any of them studios/publishers not shown themselves as being that?
      Paradox appears to not be that way. The big reason I think I've not heard back from them is that they're THAT busy with the controlled source and rights access they're giving out to their community for mods, total conversions, and ports. There were all sorts of takers on that, our little project included.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
        I'm so happy that Hostile Waters made it to the "being looked into" list, even though it was only mentioned twice on the forum

If it's going to be ported, will you include the unreleased multiplayer patched mentioned here?
        IF Interplay & GoG allow the port to happen and IF they've got that codebase in there or there's a good way to wedge in something like it with Grapple or OpenPlay, then sure, we'll bring it to the table that way. I can envision it being pretty fun, really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Paradox appears to not be that way. The big reason I think I've not heard back from them is that they're THAT busy with the controlled source and rights access they're giving out to their community for mods, total conversions, and ports. There were all sorts of takers on that, our little project included.
          Ah ok, i hope that your faith in paradox is well founded. Have you gotten any reply from the GoG team btw?

Comment

• Paradox seem to be approaching the idea of code release with a "sensible" attitude, at the very least. They have let the community have access to the code for the purposes of bug fixing for free, and the eventual patch will be released for free...

The deal looks like squeezing a few more pennies out of the "old engine", which just happens to still drive a few of their main games...

Comment

• Ok, what about this game? Seems like a possible good candidate:

Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype Definitive Edition - The complete version of a modern shoot’em up classic!

The game's called Soldner X: Himmelssturnmer. I found about this game when it was released last year, but didnt pay much attention to it. It's a classic style 2d scroller shooter game, in all it's updated visual glory. For an independent studio the game's presentation is very professional. Thing that got my attention was that the developer studio is now working on the PS3 version of the game, which is expected to be released next month. Sounds like an excellent opportunity for a linux version of soldner X, next to the ps3 one. From reading their site i got interesting tidbits of info about the game:

-The game doesnt have an official distributor or publisher of the game in South, North or Central America. Actually, no where besides Asia. The only was to get the game for non-asian players is from playasia.com.

-Playasia is a supporter of the studio too.

-It's a classic arcade sidescroller shooter game. Very seldom used genre these days.

-The pc version of the game is not installed on the HD. The game runs from the CD. :P

-Apparently this version of the game will only run at 60hz too. :P :P

-It has an online multiplayer component. :P :P :P

For these reasons they seem like an excelent porting candidate. We only need to know their attitude towards linux.
              Last edited by xav1r; 24 September 2008, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Here is a suggestion from a friend... It might be aiming a bit high, but it would be a high-profile coup if we get it.

The Diskworld games?

Comment

• Well, not so uplifting news i got today (again). But at least this time is a little different, and more interesting for all the info that it provides. This is the reply from Crytek, finally.

Sorry for the long delay, R&D finally has provided some answers (these guys are always busy ).

As for your request to release the source for CE1 we have to say that we cannot do this unfortunately. We are still selling licenses of that engine and additionally the whole engine is very big and very hard to understand completely. Thus we are sorry to say you that we cannot release the CE1 source in some open source form, yet (might change at some point in the future though).

In terms of corporation with you guys we might want to look at this at a later stage, but right now we definitely cannot offer the resources to achieve that goal. The CE2 is heavily using DX internas and it would be a massive effort for external teams to get it running without some form of DX emulation. So basically right now we want to put that idea on hold, but probably will consider this at a later stage.
                  From that email, im guessing that they are leaving the possibility of a source code release and a cross-platform colaboration effort in the future. At least it's just a "no" instead of a "f*** no".

Comment

• Xav1r, assuming the reason for the delay is accurate, that is a LOT more promising than just NO!

Why am I saying this?

1) They thought about it. Seriously. They spoke to R&D about it.
                    2) Do they have any other engines/games that might be worth a pitch?

They don't seem hostile, just not convinced of the merits yet. So keep them on the back-burner, and see if a success story can be manufactured elsewhere. They at least seem willing to consider talking, if Paradox or GoG produces a marginal success, they may change tune!

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      From that email, im guessing that they are leaving the possibility of a source code release and a cross-platform colaboration effort in the future. At least it's just a "no" instead of a "f*** no".
                      This is actually what I expected them to tell us. And with them in the final throes on Warhead and the initial inevitable bug fix pass that'll come from the release, they may be well understaffed to handle external contractors doing the work for them (There IS an overhead, even if it's a small one with someone like TTimo or icculus doing the work...).

I'll take that "no" over the other kind any old day. Everything in their response was soundly based in business concerns and they saw us as worth considering but not worth enough right now to put effort into it. That's a change for the better, really.

Comment

Working...
                      X