Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
    Loki had Alpha Centauri when it was new though, CivIII is old game now...

Hell, might even be worth asking if they would be interested in letting someone take the Loki derived Alpha Centauri code base cheap and take it to market...
    Let's get the close/non-close of the deal we've got in progress and let me get Bandits done (I'm going to be able to log a few hours of work this weekend and middle of next against closing it out (crossing fingers...)). We can talk to them about that and other things after we get that stuff squared. The one thing, over everything else, that did in Loki was that they bit off more than they could safely chew at one time. It's part of why LGP seems to be "overcautious" and taking a bit longer than many expect out of them.

Comment

• Status update on things...

The list has been mostly updated with the current state of this little project. There are a few titles mentioned a couple of pages back that're still a bit up in the air- I think they're "maybe" or "dead" depending on things, but I've got a lot going on right at the moment to worry too much about categorizing those yet.

I've got to take Bandits as far as I can in the next handful or so of days to get that title off my plate proper so it can get out and I can get on to the other things on this list I'm giving...

I've got board bring-up work promised but not yet done for the Pandora project (You guys WANT me doing that...).

I've got the start of one deal in the progress of being closed- that one would garner several titles over time for the community.

I've got the start of yet another deal (just this afternoon in fact...) in the progress of being closed- this one would help garnering other deals, I think.

Closing the deal on either project will consume about 2-4 months or so of my spare time- but it'll be a plus. Once I have a bead on things for how they're going with some of these things, I can pursue talking with Firaxis for some of their older stuff (Like Alpha Centauri...) that they might be willing to work with me and a Linux publisher on, or with 3DR...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Let's get the close/non-close of the deal we've got in progress and let me get Bandits done (I'm going to be able to log a few hours of work this weekend and middle of next against closing it out (crossing fingers...)). We can talk to them about that and other things after we get that stuff squared. The one thing, over everything else, that did in Loki was that they bit off more than they could safely chew at one time. It's part of why LGP seems to be "overcautious" and taking a bit longer than many expect out of them.
        Heh, I'm just throwing out random ideas. The thought of trying to see which of the ex-Loki games you can get your hands on only just occurred to me. If you can get the Loki derived code on sensible deals, it would offer a nice opportunity was all I was thinking.

But yes, I agree that there are higher priorities at the moment.

Comment

• ...hmm, i think someone already suggested console titles before, but anyways. What about that "great game no one played" called Okami? It was originally released for the ps2, and the studio that made it closed down, then a few years later it was released on the wii. Maybe they'd be interested in a pc linux port?

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
            ...hmm, i think someone already suggested console titles before, but anyways. What about that "great game no one played" called Okami? It was originally released for the ps2, and the studio that made it closed down, then a few years later it was released on the wii. Maybe they'd be interested in a pc linux port?
            Capcom title. Moreover, I've been playing the Wii version- on the Wii, it's quite a bit easier to play with the Wiimote and Nunchuk than it was playing what I played of the demo on the PS2. It's selling MUCH better on the Wii than it did on the PS2 because of this at least apparent relative ease of play on the Wii.

As such, I'm not thinking that it'd be coming our way for anything we could swing.

It's a shame Clover went under. They were an amazing studio, really. Heh... There are all sorts of Viewtiful Joe jokes cracked in Okami- but unless you played VJ, you'd probably not "get" them.
            Last edited by Svartalf; 26 August 2008, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              Capcom title. Moreover, I've been playing the Wii version- on the Wii, it's quite a bit easier to play with the Wiimote and Nunchuk than it was playing what I played of the demo on the PS2. It's selling MUCH better on the Wii than it did on the PS2 because of this at least apparent relative ease of play on the Wii.

As such, I'm not thinking that it'd be coming our way for anything we could swing.

It's a shame Clover went under. They were an amazing studio, really. Heh... There are all sorts of Viewtiful Joe jokes cracked in Okami- but unless you played VJ, you'd probably not "get" them.
              Well, hmm, do you think capcom would give us the time of day then? After all, SF4 is coming to the pc.

btw, ill check out viewtiful joe.

Comment

• Crysis (Initial contact made...we'll see...)
                Hmm.. I really hope they agree, but that's wishful thinking I guess.. It'd take a lot of time to port their DX10 game to GL..

Psychonauts (After finding out what Majesco did to at least one studio, we don't want to deal with them- sorry...)
                Do you mean the small studio that developed a game and Majesco closed them or something similar that was linked here?
                I never thought the games industry was such a scary place I'm looking at becoming a games programmer though.. (I'm still 15 though, so I'm still sometime before that :P )

Did you look into the AoE series (even only II would work :P), or Empire Earth? I'm a huge fan of strategy games
                Also, are there any racing games that have a chance of being ported?

And thank you Svartalf for making this list, hopefully some of the games that are on 'maybe' or 'being looked into' will become native linux games in the future

Comment

• Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                  Did you look into the AoE series (even only II would work :P),
                  Do you know which publisher holds the rights to that franchise?

(Hint: It's the LEAST likely to allow ANYTHING Linux to happen- in fact, I suspect Hell, itself, would hit absolute zero first... )

That gets put in the "DEAD" category out of the gate, much to my dismay, right along with Dungeon Siege and a few others.

or Empire Earth?
                  AAA title from Sierra (Owned by Vivendi...)- it's a "maybe" at best right at the moment. We don't have that sort of pull or cash right at the moment. I'll amend the list with it here shortly.

I'm a huge fan of strategy games
                  Same here. Got one publisher we're waiting for the thumbs up from and then a signing of NDA's and we should get a handful of strategy games made available from their online site in a couple of months from the signing of things.

Also, are there any racing games that have a chance of being ported?
                  They're more "maybe" than "checking into" right at the moment- but I'm actually a bit busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest with what came from this little experiment on this thread. It's not that they're unlikely- there's probably at least one of the racing titles that are more worth looking into and have a real chance with them.

And thank you Svartalf for making this list, hopefully some of the games that are on 'maybe' or 'being looked into' will become native linux games in the future
                  You're welcome. It's certainly working out a bunch better than I'd envisioned. Perhaps not as nicely as some would like for it to have, but it's still a better working start than I'd thought we'd have with it all.

Comment

• Okay... 15 and already a "Senior Member". Guys NOW I'm scared

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      Well, hmm, do you think capcom would give us the time of day then? After all, SF4 is coming to the pc.

btw, ill check out viewtiful joe.
                      PC == Windows right now. Windows == MONEY(still). Linux != Money (small or big...) to them. Linux == Loss of Money to them.

Yeah, check out Viewtiful Joe. It's a nifty 2/3D side-scroller that's a sendup for side-scrollers, campy B-grade SF/Super-Hero movies, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X