Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aragorn55 View Post
    perhaps port either port code monkeys D+D software or wizards of the coasts D&d software
    Doubtful if a port of the game support software is worth it, the game constitutes a moving target for comprehensive cover, and if you were going for the basics, you would be better served starting from scratch with the reference document for which ever version you wanted. 95% of the usage of such software is DB work tying together modifiers from many different places. The software can't give you the critical IP access anyway, as you would need to go to Hasbro for it, which is the D&D brand.

Comment

• A few months ago I was curious to know about the status of Crytek's first game Far Cry's status. I had heard that ubisoft bought the title, but in Crytek's site they mentioned Far Cry as their property, so i emailed them about it. They actually responded, saying that while ubisoft has the rights to the name, they (crytek) still have the rights to the cry engine 1 which powers it. I got cocky, and replied back asking them if they would consider releasing the source code of Far Cry under a gpl or a bsd license, just to see the response i would get. Needless to say, they said no, but their reply wasnt exactly what i expected. They basically said that while they thought the idea of open source was "cool" quote unquote, they said that cry engine 1 was still actively being licensed ???????, and thus they couldnt release it. AFAIK, the only games that use cry 1 engine are the far cry console ports. I wonder if they were joking.

Comment

• ...what about an old favorite of mine: Strife, by rogue entertaintment. Great old game, the best to use the original doom engine in my opinion. Problem is, the developer that made it went broke, and its unclear who owns the rights to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
          ...what about an old favorite of mine: Strife, by rogue entertaintment. Great old game, the best to use the original doom engine in my opinion. Problem is, the developer that made it went broke, and its unclear who owns the rights to it.
          ZDoom, which can be built natively on Linux, can run Strife (and Doom, Doom2, Heretic, Hexen..). Just install and patch the game via dosbox, configure ZDoom to look for it, and run it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
            ZDoom, which can be built natively on Linux, can run Strife (and Doom, Doom2, Heretic, Hexen..). Just install and patch the game via dosbox, configure ZDoom to look for it, and run it.
            I know, but for that you need the strife.wad and voices.wad files. Now, how to obtain them, hmmm.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
              A few months ago I was curious to know about the status of Crytek's first game Far Cry's status. I had heard that ubisoft bought the title, but in Crytek's site they mentioned Far Cry as their property, so i emailed them about it. They actually responded, saying that while ubisoft has the rights to the name, they (crytek) still have the rights to the cry engine 1 which powers it. I got cocky, and replied back asking them if they would consider releasing the source code of Far Cry under a gpl or a bsd license, just to see the response i would get. Needless to say, they said no, but their reply wasnt exactly what i expected. They basically said that while they thought the idea of open source was "cool" quote unquote, they said that cry engine 1 was still actively being licensed ???????, and thus they couldnt release it. AFAIK, the only games that use cry 1 engine are the far cry console ports. I wonder if they were joking.
              No, they weren't- there's a couple of licensees. I can't remember now whom, but there were a few takers. Since they don't take the position iD does on the engines (which is when there's enough years, they go GPL no matter whom's licensed to the older tech (if you want exclusives, go get the latest engine... ) I can see them holding that position.

However... One wonders if they'd be open to having a porter help them make the engine and their new one a bit more valuable by making it a bit more cross-platform and then pass something "easy" under Ubisoft's nose... I guess Far Cry just ended up being a "maybe"- I'd thought it was a "no way" one. Interesting turn of events, that...

Comment

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                The software can't give you the critical IP access anyway, as you would need to go to Hasbro for it, which is the D&D brand.
                I would also like to add that the Open D20 license does NOT normally cover the use of those game mechanics for computer software or CRPGs- you have to talk to Hasbro/WotC for rights permission to use 2.0/3.0/4.0 AD&D or OpenD20 rulesets in those items.

Unless you're spending big bucks on the royalties for those rights you won't get very far and you'll be hearing from Hasbro's nice high-dollar attornies that have to justify their rack-rate to their clients.

I know I don't want to be Cease And Desisted over something like that.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure you can use the Open Game Content from the SRD in a product and brand it as d20 material, even in software. You can't touch the DnD brand without paying through the nose.

The major problem with using the mechanics to build a game is that certain key items are missing, specifically the experience and leveling mechanics. But for a character design software, it is freely usable, so long as you restrict yourself to OGC material and don't use the DnD brand in anyway...

And actually, there are public, open, projects out there doing just that. As I said, it's not really that exciting as a port project, as to achieve any real interest, you need the DnD brand and material, for which you pay Hasbro a LOT of money.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                    I'm pretty sure you can use the Open Game Content from the SRD in a product and brand it as d20 material, even in software. You can't touch the DnD brand without paying through the nose.
                    Interesting. My recollection was that the Open Game License didn't allow software implementation of the game mechanics in any way- but as you said, even if it does, the AD&D IP is what actually makes it mostly special (i.e. NWN, etc...).

Oh, btb... We're a step closer to the first project sets...you know which ones I'm referring to.

(Now, if I could get my CV updated to current (it's about 8 months old...) and get it out to the other prospect, I'd be tickled...)

Comment

Working...
                    X