Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not to caught up on which companies are hostile besides ms to Linux so bear with me if i mention anything that is a definet no go
    rage of mages
    homeworld
    arcanum
    empire earth
    icewind dale/2/baldurs1/2
    septerra Core legacy of the creator
    Indigo Prophecy
    Nox
    Chessmaster
    betrayal at Krondor/return to Krondor
    Perimeter

Comment

• Originally posted by aragorn55 View Post
      arcanum
      That one's been dead since a few months after it came out Got it somewhere round, haven't played it in ages though.

Comment

• Aracnum was developed by Troika. There's not a lot of hope in porting those.

Comment

I'm not to caught up on which companies are hostile besides ms to Linux so bear with me if i mention anything that is a definet no go
          rage of mages
          homeworld
          arcanum
          empire earth
          icewind dale/2/baldurs1/2
          septerra Core legacy of the creator
          Indigo Prophecy
          Nox
          Chessmaster
          betrayal at Krondor/return to Krondor
          Perimeter
          Rage of Mages - Monolith. Don't know about that one- probably not as it's in their archived titles section and they're now a captive studio/brand for one of the RIAA member companies.

Homeworld - First version HAS a port. Homeworld 2 doesn't have opened source and I don't know if/when that one will have code made available or if they'll allow a port of it.

Arcanum - dead.

Empire Earth - Sierra property. Added to the "maybe" list. Not likely for now as it's a AAA title and they're one of the publishers (Sierra's a brand line for Vivendi/Universal and as such, they're not likely to be interested without waving some $25k or more under their noses for just the privilege to make it...)

Icewind Dale, etc. - Very probably dead. These were Black Isle Studios titles published via Interplay. New owners of the rights are unlikely to want reasonable royalties.

Septerra Core - Monolith title. Studio imploded just before the game got a publisher. In Monolith's "archived" list. Pretty much a dead end.

Indigo Prophesy - Dead. Atari title. Atari WAS on the list, by the by, for studios that're openly hostile to Linux users.

Nox - Westwood Studios title from EA. Westwood's gone. EA scotches- they'll want a crazy amount for positive for rights access. Dead.

Chessmaster - Ubisoft. Maybe. Fritz purportedly has a better engine.

Krondor titles - Dynamix titles published by Sierra. Pretty much a dead end unless you can find someone at either to allow the release of that old DOS game code.

Perimeter - Codemasters published title. That's probably the nicest maybe of the few that made that level.

I'll be editing the list shortly to reflect the above determiniations. Thanks. You did actually help here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Chessmaster - Ubisoft. Maybe. Fritz purportedly has a better engine.
            No purportedly about it, Fritz is usually regarded as the gold standard for publicly available commercial chess engines, at least within the chess community round here...

Also, probably not really worth the hassle, take Gnu Chess, one of the boards, and polish if you want a Linux chess game. It's not quite as good a chess engine, but it plays a passable game.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
              No purportedly about it, Fritz is usually regarded as the gold standard for publicly available commercial chess engines, at least within the chess community round here...
              Heh... Not having played EITHER since I've not been doing Windows titles for a while now, I wasn't going to go out on that limb...

Also, probably not really worth the hassle, take Gnu Chess, one of the boards, and polish if you want a Linux chess game. It's not quite as good a chess engine, but it plays a passable game.
              That's also what I've heard. Me, if I'm really itching for a game, I'll bust out my old Fidelity Electronics Chess Challenger. While the engine's not at the same caliber as Fritz has been claimed to be, it's at least as good as Chessmaster's and I kind of like having a meatspace board to play on...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Heh... Not having played EITHER since I've not been doing Windows titles for a while now, I wasn't going to go out on that limb...
                I haven't played either, as any semi-capable chess engine can trash me easily, and I never really got into computer chess as a game. However I do know what the local chess club use and love, and it's pretty much Fritz all the way.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                That's also what I've heard. Me, if I'm really itching for a game, I'll bust out my old Fidelity Electronics Chess Challenger. While the engine's not at the same caliber as Fritz has been claimed to be, it's at least as good as Chessmaster's and I kind of like having a meatspace board to play on...
                Meatspace chess is SOOOO much better

Use computers for the games that are too big for meatspace, that's what I think

Comment

• i would love to see linux port of startopia, but as the company went out of business - it's impossible :/

also - dungeon keeper 2.

most good old games are being rewritten, but those will probably never get done :/

Comment

• Empire Earth is a series and both 1 + 2 have been out a long time i would have thought they would be relatively cheap meh
                    is homeland cataclysm ported? the reason i mentioned chessmaster mas i was told by a chess buff that it offerd a nice teaching mode don't no if true.

actually i thought up some others but don't worry to much about them just some thoughts
                    lords of magic
                    space rangers
                    might and magic series
                    sega's sonic titles for pc like 3d blast
                    magic the gathering interactive encyclopedia

perhaps port either port code monkeys D+D software or wizards of the coasts D&d software

Comment

I'm not to caught up on which companies are hostile besides ms to Linux so bear with me if i mention anything that is a definet no go
                      homeworld
                      Try this site:

Binary + link to source code and patches(some strange license)
                      RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Working...
                      X