Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wikipedia says it'll be launched from the web browser, but Quake Live's site isn't giving any of the ingredients.

It'd stand a chance that in order to launch from the browser it would employ some Java technology, which would make it cross platform, much like how Pox Nora is run through Java Web Start.

At this point, it's unknown because there's no official information from their website. I'd maybe grab someone who's testing the beta version (or try to get on the beta list yourself), to find out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alecz View Post
      You basically say they might lose the money invested in "porting" the game. Isn't this what LGP does? I don't see why they ask you so much money if you guys do the porting and they only collect a small percent of the sales. This would translate into them receiving money even if only one copy was sold.
      It's because they're wanting that profit up-front and you're licensing the rights to see their "IP" instead of doing the work for them in most cases. You can't see the reason because you're thinking in rational terms and you're seeing this as someone doing them favors- they do NOT see it that way. Unless you're handing them a goodly sized chunk of money (Keep in mind, 1-10k in dollars is nothing for someone like Blizzard, Bioware, etc. You're trying to think that more money is better- they don't see anything less than about $25-50k as being more money. They see it, typically, as a waste of their time in many cases...)

Comment

• Thanks for the clarification, Svartalf.

Any idea when LGP website and Tuxgames come back online?

Comment

• It's a pitty - 10tacle Studios filed for bankruptcy a few days ago and i'm really sorry for the employees
          I don't like this 'picking over the bones', but might it be a chance to get some more of their games for porting to linux ? I mean, is there a possibility to get the code and copyrights (for a better price as usual) ?
          I don't have clue about those business things, but probably you might get a good deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marox View Post
            It's a pitty - 10tacle Studios filed for bankruptcy a few days ago and i'm really sorry for the employees
            I don't like this 'picking over the bones', but might it be a chance to get some more of their games for porting to linux ? I mean, is there a possibility to get the code and copyrights (for a better price as usual) ?
            I don't have clue about those business things, but probably you might get a good deal.
            Heh... I think it'd depend on what form of bankruptcy they're filing. If Germany allows a reorg type one like the US does, you MIGHT see something happen if the trustee allows it. Otherwise, you're not getting rights to titles via purchase under most cases as the trustee won't be letting it go for any less than something on the order of 10-50k per title. You'd OWN the rights lock-stock-and-barrel at that point, but we're still back to needing to come up with the cash.

[late edit]

Beings that it's a dissolution, I will check into what might be needed to snare the rights for Linux from their respective studios or from the receiver for ALL platforms in the case of an inside studio...
            Last edited by Svartalf; 13 August 2008, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alecz View Post
              Thanks for the clarification, Svartalf.
              You're welcome.

Any idea when LGP website and Tuxgames come back online?
              Not sure. I'm in a different location than the corporate offices (UK vs. Dallas, TX...) and they're having some nice n' nasty fun courtesy of their former ISP and BT right at the moment. I'm kind of out of the loop for part of it (need to see if Michael's on IRC so I can get back in touch with him- I've a few fixes that need propagation back into version control that should nearly bring Bandits to gold status...)- and I've been busy since this last Wednesday as I was out of the state on some personal business...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Heh... I think it'd depend on what form of bankruptcy they're filing. If Germany allows a reorg type one like the US does, you MIGHT see something happen if the trustee allows it. Otherwise, you're not getting rights to titles via purchase under most cases as the trustee won't be letting it go for any less than something on the order of 10-50k per title. You'd OWN the rights lock-stock-and-barrel at that point, but we're still back to needing to come up with the cash.
                1) It doesn't look like they allow re-org like the US does.
                2) Reading the German announcement text, it looks like all the investors pulled the plug on their promissory notes and came to collect their monies loaned out and left them insolvent
                3) Something strange is going on. They just closed a big financing deal back end of last month.

Comment

• Mount&Blade by TaleWorlds.

I doubt they'd oppose it, but the game's copy protection (Themida) might pose some problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                    Mount&Blade by TaleWorlds.

I doubt they'd oppose it, but the game's copy protection (Themida) might pose some problems.
                    If it's something in the codebase that they tie into (that'd be my guess), then there's ways of coming up with a program that'll work elsewhere- just not with Themida being there.

However... If they're insisting upon DRM (Themida) for the Windows one, they're going to want at least Steam or LGP type DRM at this point in time. Since the consensus is that "we don't need no stinking DRM" from the forum, this is a prospect, but it's going to probably drag DRM along with it.

[edit]

Keeping in mind that this is MY personal opinion here- I find some perverse humor in finding warezed copies of their protection suite (Themida...) on a Google search and am deeply concerned by finding that it's deemed to be spyware.
                    Last edited by Svartalf; 11 August 2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
                      ETQW is basically a point-release. That is: You buy the Windows version and get the installer from id software to install it on Linux. If you really want to make sure that it is counted as "Linux sale", buy it at one of the "store for Linux software" like tuxgames.com. Though they will basically send you the same box, maybe with an extra disc for the point installer. There is no separate Linux box.
                      Now that Tux Games, and LGP are back online, I was able to browse their products a bit.

What I found, though, is that the prices are rather high compared to the stores that sell the Windows version of the same game.

Game in case: Quake Wars: Enemy Territory.
                      Tuxgames price: $60
                      EBGames (Windows): $30
                      EBGames (Xbox 360): $60

Since the Linux Version is just the Windows Version sold by a Linux store with the Linux installer, why is the price double?

Comment

Working...
                      X