Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Why bother with any of that when you can get your GF to strip tease?

Come on Svartalf, linux user..... girlfriend......that's just crazy talk. The drafts of GPL 4 stipulate that you are not allowed a plastic plant let alone a girlfriend.

Comment

Ok, I've read through the thread, and I haven't seen anyone mention any Paradox Interactive games.

They are certainly open to an approach to port their old game engine which drives several of their titles, including the current versions of Hearts of Iron. I suspect they wouldn't demand upfront payment for access to the code, as they made it available under NDA for free to their community.

I don't know how much work would be involved, but more details are available from http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=352059

I contacted them about the possibility of Linux porting a while back, and have a copy of the NDA, but never followed up.

Comment

Does anybody know whether SEGA is hostile towards linux? Some Total War -title (of course preferably the newest, Medieval 2: Total war) on linux would be brilliant.

Crysis also has it's source code downloadable along with the mod sdk, but the actual engine code isn't there, I think, so it's useless.

Comment

Crysis = EA again

How is THQ as an option (STALKER)? GSC is developing Clear Sky now and this would be an ideal time to start a port.

Call of Duty 4 uses the ID engine for its game, so I would think that porting it would be as straightforward as these things get.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Why bother with any of that when you can get your GF to strip tease?
            That's what a normal person would do, I'm a linux user and I do things differently! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
              Ok, I've read through the thread, and I haven't seen anyone mention any Paradox Interactive games.

They are certainly open to an approach to port their old game engine which drives several of their titles, including the current versions of Hearts of Iron. I suspect they wouldn't demand upfront payment for access to the code, as they made it available under NDA for free to their community.

I don't know how much work would be involved, but more details are available from http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=352059

I contacted them about the possibility of Linux porting a while back, and have a copy of the NDA, but never followed up.
              Oh very nice find there defiantly one to look into.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                Oh very nice find there defiantly one to look into.
                I love Hearts of Iron II, and my first thought when they proposed the idea in January was "Linux port", especially as the most recent expansion is included in the program. Basically, it looks like they are trying to eke a bit more money out of an old game engine at minimal cost (and risk) to themselves, and off load maintenance for their old titles to their modding community which has been asking for access to the code for a while now so they can fix some of the engine bugs.

Comment

Now, I would be the first to agree that EA wouldn't be interested in porting Crysis, but apparently Crytek isn't too pleased with the way things went with Crysis and is switching things up for the next chapter, Crysis Warhead.

http://games.tiscali.cz/news/news.asp?id=28147

Maybe someone could convince Crytek that a Linux port would be another change worth making.

Comment

Looks like this is ripe for porting:

Hi. Back in the 90's I used to play a 3D multi player online racing game called HoverRace. After many years of begging we have recently acquired the source code for the game and would welcome anyone who wants to port the game to Linux. There's a lot of obstacles to overcome though since it was originally designed for Windows and the code was written for Visual Studio 5. Anyway, the url to get the source is at http://openhover.com You can download the actual game from http://openhover.com to

Comment

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
                      Now, I would be the first to agree that EA wouldn't be interested in porting Crysis, but apparently Crytek isn't too pleased with the way things went with Crysis and is switching things up for the next chapter, Crysis Warhead.
                      Any links indicating some proof of that displeasure?

Comment

Working...
                      X