Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    That'd require a port of the Source engine in hand. Valve apparently is working towards that to accommodate RWS for the next Postal installment- as Vince Desi keeps indicating that there will be versions of Postal 3 for Mac and Linux as well as Windows.

Without Source on Linux, you're not going very far.
    But as everyone knows, theres a version of the Orange Box for the ps3, and that requires opengl, doesnt it? And of course, Postal 3 will run on linux, so its more than likely possible in my opinion.

Comment

The $0.08/pg fee only applies if you rack up in excess of $10 per calendar year. If you don't do that, they can't really bill you for it.

As for the search... You'll have to ask whether it's worth $10 or so to you to find out where the rights went on those old crufty titles, if only to liberate them finally...
      So how does that work? Can i register for free and look, and make sure i dont go over 10$? Or do i have to pay upfront 10$ whether i rack up that amount or not? Cause all im seeing after clicking on registering is a form to fill my credit card info. Those greedy bastards.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
        But as everyone knows, theres a version of the Orange Box for the ps3, and that requires opengl, doesnt it? And of course, Postal 3 will run on linux, so its more than likely possible in my opinion.
        Heh... Yeah... The thing is... Is MumboJumbo interested in mining that space with allowing a Linux version of Ep 1? I'd say that they'd only really be interested in that if they revisit SiN Episodes. I'm not holding that it's impossible there, but a Linux version would have to hinge on Episode 1 still being more than a Steam item and reviving the franchise. They're unlikely to be interested in a smidge of people compared to the crowd (~150,000) that bought the Windows version. So far, the best we've ever seen in sales is 2k. The ~150k was enough to break even, but not enough to sustain the company forward to the next episode- sobering thoughts, no?

When someone say any number of users is "more money", I only need to point to this to show that this is more often than not opposite thinking for all but the smallest of studios or ones that are forward thinking enough to allow it to happen at reasonable prices.

Comment

So how does that work? Can i register for free and look, and make sure i dont go over 10$? Or do i have to pay upfront 10$ whether i rack up that amount or not? Cause all im seeing after clicking on registering is a form to fill my credit card info. Those greedy bastards.
          No, you have an account w/them upon registering for your usage. They only invoice you and your card upon hitting the threshold in a calendar year's time. If you don't go over $10, they don't bill- or at least that is what the Supreme Court handed down a while back.

They charge because it uses court resources. They charge a pittance because it's a minimal usage. The SCOTUS deemed anything less than $10 worth of usages to be something that was in keeping with the public interest- so there should be no billing thereof if you don't exceed it.

Comment

*sigh* Why does everybody have this fantasy that the PS3 utilizes openGL for it's games? Yes, it does have openGL support, but a vast majority of the more demanding PS3 games out there use libgcm .

Comment

No, you have an account w/them upon registering for your usage. They only invoice you and your card upon hitting the threshold in a calendar year's time. If you don't go over $10, they don't bill- or at least that is what the Supreme Court handed down a while back.

They charge because it uses court resources. They charge a pittance because it's a minimal usage. The SCOTUS deemed anything less than $10 worth of usages to be something that was in keeping with the public interest- so there should be no billing thereof if you don't exceed it.

ah ok, ill use their service then. Ill report back any info i get.

Comment

• What about the older Turok games? eg. Turok 1, 2, and 3? They were done by Acclaim/Iguana for the N64, and the first two at least had Windows ports. They're a bit older/dated, but I remember them being quite fun.

Comment

• I am involved in an effort to get access to code to a game (cant say which one or which dev/publisher) and basically they said "we cant give you code because we need to go through it line by line looking for 3rd party code in there". So something for people to consider is that often its not possible for a game company to allow a port because they dont have the rights to everything (or even know what 3rd party rights are in there)

Comment

• Originally posted by jonwil View Post
                    I am involved in an effort to get access to code to a game (cant say which one or which dev/publisher) and basically they said "we cant give you code because we need to go through it line by line looking for 3rd party code in there". So something for people to consider is that often its not possible for a game company to allow a port because they dont have the rights to everything (or even know what 3rd party rights are in there)
                    Heh... I've considered it- deal with it all the time. It's a consideration that I've not mentioned much of because there's often ways around the issue in question. You've got to know how to approach it.

One of them is to have them come up with an NDA with appropriate provisions to be on the hook for not disclosing the 3rd party code. If they're serious otherwise about giving access to the source for the title, this would do the trick. From there it's only a matter of haggling over line-items that might be problematic for you on the NDA. If the code's compilable or can be made so and you're not FOSS-ing the title, this should be enough to gain access in most cases. If you're liberating the title (whatever form that might take...) you might have a tougher road to hoe and depending on the 3rd party code, you may have your work cut out for you as you'd have to be able to replace, or nearly so, the offending code. If it's the physics models, you might have issues...

Comment

Damn, this is gonna take longer than i thought. Upon registration, they say that they will send you the login/password information to you 1 week after registering, and throu regular post mail. Im not disclosing my address info to them, why cant they just send it thru email???

Comment

Working...
                      X