Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bakednoodle View Post
    Hi, all I am new to the forums but have been using Phoronix forever now.
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Dawn of War and its expansions will not be ported over to Linux. THQ refuses any kind of Linux support. I used to work at THQ as a QA tester, I worked on Juiced 2 Hot Import Nights as well as the Soulstorm expansion for Dawn of War so you might as well edit that maybe list for DoW and add it to dead end.
    Shame for THQ. That places them in the overtly hostile grouping of publishers- which actually will color at least my purchases on the console side of things.

    Moving DoW over to the dead-end list. Thanks for the tidbit of publisher knowlege. I'll dig through the list and kill any THQ entries in the maybe and looking into piles shortly.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
      Maybe Svartalf missed it, but I'm pretty sure some time ago someone mentioned DoW. But yeah, that's not going anywhere anytime soon.
      It was supposed at the time to be a "maybe", but based on this information, unless we get newer contrary info from the publisher themselves, it gets moved to the dead end pile.

      Comment


      • Speaking of hostile companies, I saw that Max Payne was pushed to the dead ends because of Remedy. While I have no doubt that a Linux port is pretty much a dead end, I remember Remedy touting at some point that Max Payne would work on Linux through Cedega and that they were happy about it. So, I'd say, perhaps Remedy isn't absolutely hostile, knowing that they at least acknowledge Linux presence.

        EDIT: I can't seem to find it, but I remember reading something like that years ago.
        Last edited by niniendowarrior; 10-09-2008, 09:47 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          Speaking of hostile companies, I saw that Max Payne was pushed to the dead ends because of Remedy. While I have no doubt that a Linux port is pretty much a dead end, I remember Remedy touting at some point that Max Payne would work on Linux through Cedega and that they were happy about it. So, I'd say, perhaps Remedy isn't absolutely hostile, knowing that they at least acknowledge Linux presence.

          EDIT: I can't seem to find it, but I remember reading something like that years ago.
          well, in the case of max payne, the game rights dont even belong to remedy, anymore, it's rockstar's (and therefore take2's) territory now.

          Comment


          • If need be I can get you guys in contact with the Head PC Specialist at THQ and you guys can direct questions at him.

            Comment


            • ...speaking of possible game leads, and sorry if this is derailing the topic, but, could someone please explain to me the fields in results of a US Patent and trademark office search? As some of you know, i was interested in tracking down the owner of the old games witchaven 1 and 2, and doing a trademark search in the USPTO site, didnt produce any results. I put in common popular brand names like "wolfenstein" for example, and found several entries. What i dont understand is the last field that says either LIVE or DEAD. There were many results of the query for Wolfenstein, most of them showing their status as LIVE. However, there were a few that listed as DEAD. The obvious one was the claim from the developers of the original Castle Wolfenstein game from the 80s, but there was an entry about Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, which was also listed as DEAD. What do those values mean? And, would that be helpful in finding out game rights' owners?

              thanks

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bakednoodle View Post
                If need be I can get you guys in contact with the Head PC Specialist at THQ and you guys can direct questions at him.
                It's certainly a great opportunity though I'd expect him to simply shrug his shoulders. I'd leave questions to Svartalf. He'd know what to ask.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                  well, in the case of max payne, the game rights dont even belong to remedy, anymore, it's rockstar's (and therefore take2's) territory now.
                  That is a very good point. Yeah... dead end.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bakednoodle View Post
                    If need be I can get you guys in contact with the Head PC Specialist at THQ and you guys can direct questions at him.
                    Could you PM me that contact info, please. While we're not ready (yet) to be starting discussions of any kind (and see if they've softened their position (we can only hope...)) with THQ, I would still like the foot in the door link there in hand. I feel like we might be in a rosier position in about 6 months here, maybe less if the Pandora succeeds as well as it has so far (Which remains to be seen. The hardware's largely there- the games will be telling. )

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                      That is a very good point. Yeah... dead end.
                      Which is why it's on the dead-end list...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X