Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, but I want you to know you're so breaking my heart. Can you live with that knowledge?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      This is not the problem. The main problem is what kernel your game runs on. Some distros are behind the times and still run 24 type kernels while recent distros run 26 type kernels. This influences also what soft is on those distros ( as they tend to be older or newer too ). One major problem is GCC and stdlib. If you statically link a binary ( anyways a bad thing to do in Linux world ) then it is quickly possible your binary does not run on recent or older systems ( missing libraries ). Then things like back-binary hacks have to be done which uglifies the system of users. The same happens with 64bit systems. Granted mostly any 64bit distro includes the 32bit compat layer but still troubles can happen if you try to run 32bit on 64bit machines. Another reason why precompiled binaries are a headache on Linux ( and on Windows, just in a lesser extend ). So no, it's quite something else. If they would churn out a source release of their soft then this is not a problem since any distro can compile it the way it fits optimally. Using binaries you produce hell yourself already... and unfortunately game devers tend to churn out binaries... and then troubles come... and then Linux clients are abandonend. That's the way it works.
      You've got ABI issues and then you've got 32/64-bit issues. Most of the concerns between what you allude to is in the 32/64-bitness space. I know this because with careful work, you can make a binary that'll install on stock original Woody that will work on modern distributions as well.

It's all in how you go about doing things. The kernels themselves don't break things, the ABI does- there was little in the way of C ABI changes from 2.4.x to 2.6.x that would break someone unless they were doing something ill-advised. Now, C++ stuff... There's ya a pain- but you don't dynamically link libstdc++ except as a fallback binary- you statically link the preferred one and go on.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
        Ill try to respond as elocuently as Svartalf here. Game was developed by StarBreeze and published by dum dum dum dum... Sierra/Vivendi. And theres supposed to be an upcoming sequel or expansion pack to that game, called THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ASSAUT ON DARK ATHENA, so I would say it's pretty much a dead end.

Svartalf, did i do it right?
        Largely... I wouldn't say anything with a MOVIE tie-in is going to be obtainable by myself or others without a lot of pain- especially not THIS title...

(It was actually a nicer game than many made it out to be...it was one of the test platform games for the Big Two player I worked for a while back. We'd had a shader regression for one of the shader model modes and I'd been the one to triage it for them...)

Comment

• Originally posted by domkop View Post
          Okay, but I want you to know you're so breaking my heart. Can you live with that knowledge?

Damn, Im sorry. Tell you what, if a game project comes out of this thread, Ill ask to have it dedicated to you, ok?

Comment

• And I already had a plan for the dedication...

Comment

• Heh... There's two in the latter stages of negotiation, at least a couple more that will end up there as soon as we finalize the first two either way- and there's more and more strange things happening.

How about this...we'll dedicate the first one out of the gate to each and every participant in this discussion thread- if we can manage it. If it can be managed in the credits, it will be there. If it can be managed in any paper documentation it will be there. Any other personal dedications will go in from the devs as well.

Comment

• lol, ok.

Hell, if the EUII comes off, there should be 3 or 4 games for dedications.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  we'll dedicate the first one out of the gate to each and every participant in this discussion thread- if we can manage it.
                  Hm... 53 pages times 10 posts... you've got yourself quite a job there

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Heh... There's two in the latter stages of negotiation, at least a couple more that will end up there as soon as we finalize the first two either way- and there's more and more strange things happening.

How about this...we'll dedicate the first one out of the gate to each and every participant in this discussion thread- if we can manage it. If it can be managed in the credits, it will be there. If it can be managed in any paper documentation it will be there. Any other personal dedications will go in from the devs as well.

Thats awesome! I look forward to being inmortalized in the credits of a game!! Can i have a special ingame appearance too??? Maybe as a hidden level?

Comment

• How about the unnamed flunky who dies in the first second of the game?

Comment

Working...
                      X