Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
    live ends:
    Assassins Creed
    Bioshock
    Grand Theft Auto III / Vice City
    Half-Life 2
    Mass Effect
    Portal
    The Witcher
    These should be moved to dead ends really they are either extremely impractical or are managed by a company that does let people port easily... (Atari I'm looking at you)

ninja edit:
    Originally posted by niniendowarrior
    On some other titles, I wish (it's a wish list, right?) Jade Empire and Mass Effect get ported. That's so not going to happen though.
    A "particle" wish list, so no GTA's and other multi-million dollar games.
    Last edited by Aradreth; 24 June 2008, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I think JoWood had the publishing rights on Gothic 1 for Europe. So, I'm not too hopeful Gothic will ever see a Linux release.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
        ninja edit:

A "particle" wish list, so no GTA's and other multi-million dollar games.
        Well, no sweat! We'll just make our FOSS versions.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          Well, no sweat! We'll just make our FOSS versions.
          For mindless violence we have better I mean we have Postal!

Comment

On that note, if someone made a GTA Quake 3 mod, that would easily solve our problems with GTA. Oh yes, Postal will do too. haha

Comment

On that note, if someone made a GTA Quake 3 mod, that would easily solve our problems with GTA. Oh yes, Postal will do too. haha
              Why bother. Vince IS making a version of Postal 3 for us, just like he did for Postal and Postal 2... >:-D

Comment

Licaon, shouldn't we not make Svartalf's job a little easier? Why not repost it here? Anyway, who knows? You might update the list here.
                This would be desirable. I've started this little thread with the intent on trying to change the rules a little bit.

You lot don't like DRM. Neither do I.
                The big boys want it. You want AAA titles, you'll have to take it.

Or... Change the rules, like it's being done in the music industry.

This thread was started with the intent to get you to see the problems that a port developer faces (in detail...won't do any good if we don't run this as if we're "starting our own porting studio" with the intent on handing anything that's not liberated to be published by LGP or a similar publisher- WITHOUT the DRM if it's possible (It may not...)) as well as to get you all thinking about things differently and maybe help me and yourselves change the name of the game in a manner that doesn't need to bring "War" on them as redeemman put in another thread on the subject of NVidia. Yes, even you, redeemman should be pitching in here.

By gamers FOR gamers.

On my free time, I'll go hunt more source code released games.
                That, and indie studios. Change the game if you don't like how it's being played. LGP kind of is stuck between a rock and a hard place. So are a lot of other players.

Bitching about the "quality" of the games doesn't help.
                Bitching about DRM being there doesn't help.

Changing the rules so neither is a problem anymore is what you need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                  I found this one the looked down and saw Mircosoft share source... (if I remember correctly that's the look but don't touch license MS has)
                  Anything MS offers up as "FOSS" isn't and should NOT be considered as anything other than toxic waste unless it's under the GPL, LGPL, MIT/X11, or BSD. Seriously. It's as liable as not to be bait for a trap and a lawsuit. I'm not touching that with a 50' pole- you all shouldn't either.

Pretty much the only ones for that list can could be ported are KOTOR1+2, Gothic and morrowind I think as the rest are by developers now dead and BG has a FOSS engine that's close to completion.
                  KOTOR1 would be nice to play. I wish LucasArts would let Bioware allow the port. Not likely. KOTOR2 is a nasty, confusing half-done game that was rushed out the door because Obsidian was behind schedule and LucasArts shipped the abortion out anyway. Not a reflection on Obsidian, per se, but it's NOT really worth playing as much because the story gets very, very lost and confused about half the way through the game. I know, I was having to chase down bugs in the driver that I was supporting nearly two years ago that KOTOR and KOTOR2 brought to the fore.

Gothic's a nice choice- it's in the look into list. Keep in mind, that's liable to cost us money.

Ditto Morrowind.

Comment

I think JoWood had the publishing rights on Gothic 1 for Europe. So, I'm not too hopeful Gothic will ever see a Linux release.
                    Is JoWood Linux hostile?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Is JoWood Linux hostile?
                      No. I reckon not. But they have an extremely limited say on Gothic as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Working...
                      X