Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    What games are Bohemian Interactive responsible for?
    ARMA, Operation Flashpoint

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      The GC was cheap and the adult titles that were on it at start and over time were actually FUN to play. The GC was underrated, if you ask me. They made a few off decisions (including not trying to arrange a more broad lineup of styles of games at rollout...too many kiddie titles. Something they still seem to have a small bit of trouble with at Nintendo...) which fated it to be third.
      Agreed. Some of the mature titles were pretty good there, I will say that RE 4 on the Cube remains to be broken. lol. Eternal Darkness on the other hand was fantastic. Nintendo making off decisions is part of being Nintendo. Who else could have pulled off two GBA releases where the only difference is the backlight? The company is synonymous to strange decisions, not to mention archaic ones.

Cheap is also another way to put it. My cube sputtered and died within the first year of my purchase and my Wii is the handy replacement.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      The PS2, in comparison, isn't as capable of a machine overall, but it took first with the X-Box taking second. I happen to have a PS2 and a GC (A role now being served by my Wii... While it's a little more clumsy than I would have liked to have it, it was a smart move on Nintendo's part to have the old mode in there...) but no X-Box. Don't want it- I even went out of my way to import a UK copy of Shenmue 2 to not have to buy the X-Box version.
      I thought the Wii's write-once registers to go GC mode was extremely clunky. That's about the strangest design decision I've come across and I'm still not sure why they did that. The GC compatibility they did though has been the best kind of backward compatibility (vs PS3 to PS2 and Xbox 360 to Xbox). It was so good I was expecting companies to use GC development rights and build games using the 4 GB disc instead of the extremely stupid 1.4 GB disc. I do suppose that's still what happened with the Wii.

Shame that porting GC games (or any console game for that matter) to Linux has about a close to zero chance from ever happening.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      I think that was part of the idea- it was supposed to be like a "bad" super-hero flick/video game. Art direction being hit or miss is part of that impression, actually.
      Yeah. It's really supposed to look like a real bad superhero flick... the cheesily bad dialogs and the character designs. Oh it's just such a strange brew indeed. That said... the time gameplay element is really what makes the game stick and shine more than the regular 2d brawlers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        Uhm... those are not really *blistering* news. That's the sort of thing you hear always, no matter if positive or not.
        At least they didn't ignore him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          Uhm... those are not really *blistering* news. That's the sort of thing you hear always, no matter if positive or not.
          Actually, you oftentimes get told "NO" or "Hell, NO!" outright- I know, Blizzard's done it to us in the past when people came asking.

That's like getting excited when the car ignition works... but if it actually drives is an entire different story altogether
          I will concur there. At least, however, they're not outright hostile- ask Gas Powered about Dungeon Siege and they'll tell you "no". It might even be a polite one, but you'll always get it from them because of their publisher...

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
            I thought the Wii's write-once registers to go GC mode was extremely clunky. That's about the strangest design decision I've come across and I'm still not sure why they did that. The GC compatibility they did though has been the best kind of backward compatibility (vs PS3 to PS2 and Xbox 360 to Xbox). It was so good I was expecting companies to use GC development rights and build games using the 4 GB disc instead of the extremely stupid 1.4 GB disc. I do suppose that's still what happened with the Wii.
            It was to insure nearly 100% backwards compatibility- something that hasn't been done elsewhere save on the GBA with GB titles (You always have seriously problem titles on the PS3 and we won't get into the 360's X-Box support where they're having to emu a full X-Box... ). When you do it, it flogs the whole system into a state that looks 100% like a GC so there's almost no issues with it. Only glitch I've seen has been that my Gameshark doesn't work with the Wii right.

Shame that porting GC games (or any console game for that matter) to Linux has about a close to zero chance from ever happening.
            It's console. Unless they're interested in a PC (Read: Windows) or Mac version of a given title, it's not even remotely likely to happen. I know I would love to have Eternal Darkness on Linux, for example- but it's dead unlikely (Silicon Knights is pretty much an X-Box shop right at the moment...).

Yeah. It's really supposed to look like a real bad superhero flick... the cheesily bad dialogs and the character designs. Oh it's just such a strange brew indeed. That said... the time gameplay element is really what makes the game stick and shine more than the regular 2d brawlers.
            No kidding. The quirky thing is one of my favorite games, really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              Actually, you oftentimes get told "NO" or "Hell, NO!" outright- I know, Blizzard's done it to us in the past when people came asking.

I will concur there. At least, however, they're not outright hostile- ask Gas Powered about Dungeon Siege and they'll tell you "no". It might even be a polite one, but you'll always get it from them because of their publisher...
              Yeah that's right. Maybe I'm a bit too much "burned" by such phrases yielding nothing but hot air leaving me hanging in the void. I guess this is where "help yourself then god helps you" slogan comes from :P

Comment

• Yea, it's true, either one of them (or both) might reply a few days later with a polite "go screw yourself", but lets have a little hope anyways.

Comment

• I was looking over my collection of games the other day and stumbled across a little gem for my Gamecube called "Freedom Fighters". I know that a PC version has been released, and I believe it was published by EA. I can't seem to recall if this specific title was mentioned earlier or not, but what would the chances be of having it ported to Linux?

Comment

• Originally posted by eokiahn View Post
                    I was looking over my collection of games the other day and stumbled across a little gem for my Gamecube called "Freedom Fighters". I know that a PC version has been released, and I believe it was published by EA. I can't seem to recall if this specific title was mentioned earlier or not, but what would the chances be of having it ported to Linux?
                    If EA is involved, its chances are rather non-existent.

Comment

• Freedom Fighters isn't likely to get a port due to EA as mentioned. I do wonder though if we try a Linux test on EA by e-mailing them and asking if they have Medal of Honor Allied Assault on Linux. If EA truly knows Linux exists, they'll say 'Yes' we do and perhaps point you to a link. Otherwise, they'll say we haven't ported it, in which case, we know they are lying or simply don't know. lol.

Waste of time, but I'm curious to see what sort of response if any. haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X