Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Alecz View Post
    Since the Linux Version is just the Windows Version sold by a Linux store with the Linux installer, why is the price double?
    What you're paying in your example is proportionate to what EBGames (Really, GameStop...) paid for the current copies offered by the distributor for the Windows version. Tuxgames is pricing it off of what they paid for it back when the stuff originally came out- if you'd have checked EBGames' online prices when it originally came out you'd see similar pricing to what TuxGames is offering for it currently. Not my call on the pricing- in order for him to sell at the EBGames price, he'll probably have to see a reduced profit or take a potential loss on the resale of those units.

    Right now, the only plus with buying from TuxGames would be a sales figure data point for Linux- if you buy the EBGames' Windows copy, you will not at all count as a Linux sale, you'll count as a Windows one for definite. Me, I bought mine from a used game store (If you're wondering, it was at a price I could hardly refuse ($4)...otherwise I'd be in line buying it from TuxGames to help out like I and others have suggested... ). Yes, it counted as a Windows sale originally, but I didn't inflate the Windows sales numbers by one extra by buying a new copy.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 13 August 2008, 06:28 PM.

    Comment


    • Svartalf, thanks again for clarifying my confusion.

      Your explanation does make sense. I suppose sellers such as EBGames either made enough profit or are taking a loss on those titles.

      IIRC, Those games used to be more expensive.

      Thanks again.

      back on topic... what are the odds of seeing Rome: Total War ported to Linux?
      http://www.totalwar.com/?lang=us

      The Creative Assembly, and SEGA are involved.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Alecz View Post
        Svartalf, thanks again for clarifying my confusion.
        You're welcome.

        Your explanation does make sense. I suppose sellers such as EBGames either made enough profit or are taking a loss on those titles.

        IIRC, Those games used to be more expensive.
        Yeah... Either the publisher, distributor, or EBGames themselves are happy with things ROI-wise and now they're just pushing out stuff at lower prices because they think they can eke out a bit more return on it before running the bargain bin fire-sale on the title.

        back on topic... what are the odds of seeing Rome: Total War ported to Linux?
        http://www.totalwar.com/?lang=us

        The Creative Assembly, and SEGA are involved.
        It's a "maybe"- it's a AAA title and as such, we're looking at a likely big chunk of cash or coming up with some DRM answer... Added to the list for the "maybe" category for now.

        Comment


        • Status update on things...

          Added two new titles, one in the "maybe" list and one in the "checking up on it" list- refer to the beginning of the thread for details on what is what.

          I've also managed to do a cursory skim of things in my contract and I think I may be able to go ahead with the EU2 project lead and I need to get back on the Harpoon 3 project lead. Deafening silence came back from Lead Pursuit on Falcon 4, so I don't know where that one's going- it seems stalled. I will be trying to get in touch with the Unknown Worlds people to see if they'd like help with a Linux/MacOS version while they're still in development.

          Other than that, still forging forward on my current obligations (Bandits... ).

          Comment


          • I just had a look at the list of games. I am not 100% sure but I think you can directly kill all games by the finish studio remedy from the "maybe" list. IIRC they were either bought by Microsoft or are in a close corporation with them and I do not think that they will allow them to give out the rights for the port. That is Max Payne and Max Payne 2 are IMO very unlikely, though they are great games.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
              I just had a look at the list of games. I am not 100% sure but I think you can directly kill all games by the finish studio remedy from the "maybe" list. IIRC they were either bought by Microsoft or are in a close corporation with them and I do not think that they will allow them to give out the rights for the port. That is Max Payne and Max Payne 2 are IMO very unlikely, though they are great games.
              Counted as changed... Damn shame...but yeah, it's like my flippant mention of Dungeon Siege being right out...

              Comment


              • Okay, it is said in news post that they are cooperating closely with MS for "Alan Wake" (cf this article), no idea how close they are really working together with them. Might be that it is just such a limited cooperation, might be a "hidden takeover". So you could ask them but you should not expect anything, not even an answer.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
                  Okay, it is said in news post that they are cooperating closely with MS for "Alan Wake" (cf this article), no idea how close they are really working together with them. Might be that it is just such a limited cooperation, might be a "hidden takeover". So you could ask them but you should not expect anything, not even an answer.
                  Heh... I wouldn't venture a guess either way- if it's not a hidden takeover, it's certainly a situation where MS, if they so chose, could deep-six "Alan Wake" and thereby place Remedy in a bad position financially. All it'd take is them getting a whiff of anyone on the Linux side of things getting a deal and they'd threaten to pull the plug on their little "collaboration" there and that'd be all she wrote for the port project for anything prior to it. And moreover, with them in bed on this current project, even if they're not taken over, MS could always dink around on the proceeds, etc. on "Alan Wake".

                  They're currently dead to us, much like Gas Powered's stuff is right now.

                  Comment


                  • Hm... like war... 40% losses on the first day

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Heh... I wouldn't venture a guess either way- if it's not a hidden takeover, it's certainly a situation where MS, if they so chose, could deep-six "Alan Wake" and thereby place Remedy in a bad position financially. All it'd take is them getting a whiff of anyone on the Linux side of things getting a deal and they'd threaten to pull the plug on their little "collaboration" there and that'd be all she wrote for the port project for anything prior to it. And moreover, with them in bed on this current project, even if they're not taken over, MS could always dink around on the proceeds, etc. on "Alan Wake".

                      They're currently dead to us, much like Gas Powered's stuff is right now.
                      While they are pretty much touting alan wake as a flagship directx10 title, i doubt they will be bought out by ms. It's not as hot property as GoW or Halo. But yea, linux isnt on their list of priorities.

                      BTW, Svartalf, what do you think of the newly released OpenGL 3.0 specs?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X