Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I've looked a bit closer, it seems they were involved in the European version a few years ago.

I am just hoping that if anything comes out of Svartalfs consideration of the EU game engine from Paradox comes to anything, we would be better placed to talk to them for other titles if it sells. Hence if Paradox were involved, it would make life so much easier...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Offset Software (the developers) were bought buy Intel. AFAIK, they still exists as-is and are making it.. they're just owned by Intel now. Project Offset is definitely a game and not a tech demo, that much is certain (at least in-so-far as Doom3 was a game, too).
      I actually thought Doom3 wasn't a bad game on the whole even if towards the end it got a bit repetitive.

When I say tech-demo I don't mean a 30min play time like the Physx tech demo (can't remember the name) it probably will have 5+ hours of game play but all the effort will have gone into showing of the Larrabee (which is being released at roughly the same time as Project Offset) so gameplay/story will be lacking compared to a normal title.

Comment

• Gothic 1 & 2. I have played these and would buy them again.

Castle Infinity http://www.castleinfinity.org/ I have made some inquiries with them and they seemed open at the time but this was about a year ago. They own the code, written in .net iirc. It is a really fun game.

They distribute it for free but I would buy a copy if it ran on linux. Or could even be a good full demo game to distribute as an intro to your efforts or LGP.

Comment

• Dont know if you know about this, but Apogee software has been brought back. Its a fully independent division of 3dr, but i dont really understand how it all works. Not even the employees know actually. Anyways, they probably would be interested in having their classic apogee catalog ported to linux.

Comment

• You can simply use DOSBOX for those.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
              You can simply use DOSBOX for those.
              By having games run "natively" it improves the user experience. As this is a point about perception I suppose that if dosbox is relatively small with some script-fu it might be able to be added as a preloader or set up as a portal application.

By making a bundle dvd with nice api that launches the games without the need to install a program it would add value. I used to buy magazines for the demo/free software when I used windows. I would gladly pay ?5 for a DVD with games that I would not have to fight with to play, the complexity of the games is not important just the playability. I might even pay ?10.

Comment

• DOSBOX won't let us have full resolution and other native extras

BTW I found this link, Mountain King had ported Raptor to linux in 2000:

I can't locate this demo version anywhere, and user experiences from the game itself say it was slow, and didn't look good. So a more optimized port with some good 2d filters or new artwork would be nice.

Comment

• I just thought about something. The biggest hurdle to getting big name games under linux is money, right? Game companies would demand many figures in exchange for a port. What if we get someone that has enough $$$ to get them to have their secretaries email back? I was thinking, maybe someone like Mark Shuttleworth, the ubuntu guy. He's got the cash, and he would probably be interested in getting more games run natively in linux, as a way to increase it global outreach. What do you think? And he's not difficult to contact.

Comment

• Maybe you did not know that Steam is using DOSBOX with a preloader that needs online access for those old DOS games you can buy with it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      You can simply use DOSBOX for those.
                      DOSBox doesn't provide Polymost, which improves on the game (it does, it does...). Also worth noting, DOSBox doesn't really work nicely on non x86 platforms. There's a few of them coming up that run Linux and run against a Cortex-A8 ARM core.

Comment

Working...
                      X