Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trepo
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Yes, you both have...

I'll second that. To be honest, we need to fork the original topic in addition to the other split (It is a good discussion guys- serious...) with a new discussion start (it's evil difficult to track this to it's beginnings at this point...) and have a mod close this one.
    In the meantime, while the thread is open and still off-topic, why not take it further off course

Anybody yearning for the good old times of USENET where ignoring off-topic posts (and notorious trolls) was so much easier, and the ability to keep track of topics and threads depended on your newsreader, not on the server you read the posts on?

Back on topic, I'm glad to see Achron on the "being looked into" list (refreshing twist on an old concept). Wish I could help with the porting work. OTOH, I may be able to help with localization (Slovak and Hungarian), if needed (No, I don't _really_ think it's needed, but still... Will work for credit). The offer stands for other projects as well, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    @dragonlord
    We have hit a brick wall haven't we I think we have taken this wayyy off topic.
    Yes, you both have...

To be honest, yes indeed. Maybe a moderator wants to split off the posts into an own topic so things stay clean.
    I'll second that. To be honest, we need to fork the original topic in addition to the other split (It is a good discussion guys- serious...) with a new discussion start (it's evil difficult to track this to it's beginnings at this point...) and have a mod close this one.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    To be honest, yes indeed. Maybe a moderator wants to split off the posts into an own topic so things stay clean.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Partly related - are there any FOSS easy to use modelers?

Reference: I learned NetRadiant in a few hours. And tried Blender for days and still can't use it.
    I wont say blender is hard because thats relative to personal tastes but I will say that many people find it difficult. That said, anything is hard unless you know how to do it. It took me about a month to grasp it at a basic level. maybe it had something to do with me leaning max first.

@dragonlord
    We have hit a brick wall haven't we I think we have taken this wayyy off topic.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    well im alot less productive in GtkRadiant then in Hammer, Although the work i produce in GtkRadiant is alot higher quality. Theoretically if you spend more time on something it gets better but I dont think it applies here (well it does obviosly but it doesnt). I think its because you work at a lower level, Similar to visual basic vs c++. I have heard some people label the difference between 3DSMAX and Maya in similar respects but unfortunately I am ill suited to judge this myself.

I think the same is true when modeling building geometry. You work at a lower level giving you more control. I dont feel the high/low level concept fits well here but im fairly sure you can catch my flow.
    This is incorrect. Blender ( or other modellers ) are in NO way low-level or bad/unsuitable as you claim it to be. You simply work differently. You don't stick brushes together to form geometry you extrude/sculpt/edit your meshes. In fact Blender has a much larger range of possible ways to edit a mesh for different purposes ( mesh/nurbs/subsurf/meta ) while brushing has only one solution. I really object to consider modeling applications bad/unsuitable for level editing giving their larger range of possibilities. And I also object that they are low-level.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    Blender is the best, no questions asked. You have to simply forget your Windows induced clicky-colorfully way of handling a GUI. Blender is about raw power. You setup the panels to match your work flow. You work mainly with 1-key commands and mouse. Take the time to learn it, it's really worth it.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Partly related - are there any FOSS easy to use modelers?

Reference: I learned NetRadiant in a few hours. And tried Blender for days and still can't use it.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    well im alot less productive in GtkRadiant then in Hammer, Although the work i produce in GtkRadiant is alot higher quality. Theoretically if you spend more time on something it gets better but I dont think it applies here (well it does obviosly but it doesnt). I think its because you work at a lower level, Similar to visual basic vs c++. I have heard some people label the difference between 3DSMAX and Maya in similar respects but unfortunately I am ill suited to judge this myself.

I think the same is true when modeling building geometry. You work at a lower level giving you more control. I dont feel the high/low level concept fits well here but im fairly sure you can catch my flow.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    If you say something is slow for creating level geometry doesn't this mean it unsuitable ( or crappy ) for making level geometry? Just because to my understanding if somebody labels a tool or method slow then it means it's bad or ill suited.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Hammer is WC which in turn is a brush based world editor. A brusher is a Hammer/WC user. That's my line of reasoning.
    Ahh oke that makes more sense.

Nope, I referred to the radiant tool to produce the lighting. If you talk about GtkRadiant then write GtkRadiant
    kk ill remember next time

So making level geometry in a modeling application is crap according to your words. I could misread you there but this sounds to me like a war declaration on creating map geometry using a modeling applications.
    Negative. I indeed said it was slow i diddnt say it was crap. Infact i said at 5:24
    With a modeling program you get absolute control which i really like.
    and
    You can obtain better results if you model 100%

Leave a comment:

Working...
X