Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    NOLF is under Vivendi, I reckon... or Sierra.
    Yes, this makes it difficult. The only question is:

What are you allowed to do with the published sourcecode? Are you allowed to use it to create a port or not (probably the answer is a clear "no, you are not")? It could be worth a try...

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post

What are you allowed to do with the published sourcecode? Are you allowed to use it to create a port or not (probably the answer is a clear "no, you are not")? It could be worth a try...
      The source code seems to have been pulled of the net as all the links here are dead and every other site I've seen when looking has been pointing to one of those links...

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post

Depends on the nature of the publication. It could be inadvertent or without permission with a person with sour grapes on their mind. In the context of that, you don't have any rights to it whatsoever.

Something put out without an explicit release to the Public Domain or an appropriate derivative works and distribution license is presumed to be an unlicensed copy- and distribution and derivative works are deemed to be an infringement. Something that Verizon and Actiontec found out wasn't such a nifty idea after all.

Keep in mind, even if the game code's legit, the game assets may NOT be- and may require obtaining an apocryphal copy or a rights grant from the publisher to re-publish.

Let's dig into that one further- can someone point me to a copy of the source that got released?

Comment

I'll throw in some titles.

These are published by JoWood Productions (I think):

Arx Fatalis
          Rally Trophy
          Archangel
          AquaNox 2

But I think those are good stuff, or at least, decent. I'm dying for a racer on Linux and I'm completely frustrated by the options right now. To be honest, I'd like Richard Burns Rally, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Edit:
          NOLF Source
          Here it is Svartalf:
          Last edited by niniendowarrior; 24 June 2008, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
            The source code seems to have been pulled of the net as all the links here are dead and every other site I've seen when looking has been pointing to one of those links...
            I'll go scrounging on Monolith's FTP site as they were hosting it- the official website seems to indicate that the source was a deliberate release under some possibly usable license. I'll do more digging- Monolith DID let a title get published and while the vendor had issues with their port of the Lithtech engine, I don't think that Titan did that poorly with the title.

Comment

I got the source. I'll upload it, just one moment.

EDIT:
              This is the same as the one above.

I reckon this was the one that was released judging from the NOLF official website.

*May not be the one Svartalf wants as he mentions in the post below.
              Last edited by niniendowarrior; 24 June 2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                Edit:
                NOLF Source
                Here it is Svartalf:
                http://files.filefront.com/NOLFSourc.../fileinfo.html
                Thanks for the link. Just looked at it- it's insufficient. The code's the "game" but the source tree is "missing" the Lithtech engine pieces in source code form needed to make a Linux game port.

Moreover, Sierra (VU...) owns the rights at this point. Not QUITE sure where this one will lead, however, it seems they didn't mind mods, etc. as the source WAS released for that purpose all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  I'll go scrounging on Monolith's FTP site as they were hosting it- the official website seems to indicate that the source was a deliberate release under some possibly usable license. I'll do more digging- Monolith DID let a title get published and while the vendor had issues with their port of the Lithtech engine, I don't think that Titan did that poorly with the title.
                  I think I've found a working server with it here.

Edit: in the time it took me to download and extract it niniendowarrior post it.

The licence:
                  IV. END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR ADD-ON COMPONENTS -- NO ONE LIVES FOREVER Source Code v1.003
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

THIS END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (THIS "EULA") IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU (EITHER AN INDIVIDUAL OR A SINGLE ENTITY) AND MONOLITH PRODUCTIONS, INC. ("MONOLITH") FOR NO ONE LIVES FOREVER Source Code v1.003, WHICH INCLUDES COMPUTER SOFTWARE AND ASSOCIATED MATERIALS (THE "SOFTWARE").

YOU MAY ONLY BECOME A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT IF YOU ARE A LICENSED USER OF MONOLITH'S The Operative: "No One Lives Forever" PRODUCT.

BY CLICKING ON THE "YES" BUTTON, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, CLICK THE "NO" BUTTON AND DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. You may use and publicly display one copy of the Software on one personal computer. A license for the Software may not be shared or used concurrently on different computers.

2. LIMITATIONS. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software. You may not rent or lease the Software. You may make one additional copy of the Software solely for backup or archival purposes. You may not copy any printed materials accompanying the Software.

3. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA, provided (a) you retain no copies, (b) you transfer all of the Software (including all component parts, the media on which the Software was delivered, all printed materials, any upgrades, and this EULA), and (c) the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA in writing delivered to Monolith. Any transfer must include all prior versions and upgrades of the Software. Otherwise, you have no right to distribute copies of the Software.

4. TERMINATION. Without prejudice to any other rights, Monolith may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the Software and all of its component parts.

5. NO SUPPORT. Because Monolith is offering this Software to you free of charge, Monolith will not provide any telephone, online or other support for the use of the Software.

6. NO WARRANTIES. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MONOLITH AND ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH REGARD TO THE SOFTWARE.

7. NO LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL MONOLITH OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT, EVEN IF MONOLITH HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW SUCH EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

8. EDITOR, SOURCE CODE AND END-USER VARIATIONS.

(a) The Software may include an "Editor." An "Editor" is a feature which allows you to modify the Software or to construct new variations for use with it. These modifications and variations can be both playable and non-playable. An Editor includes its associated tools and utilities. An Editor is NOT shareware. You may not freely distribute it to any BBS, CD, floppy or any other media. You may not sell it or repackage it for sale.

(b) The Software may include "Source Code." "Source Code" is a feature which allows you to modify the Software or to construct new variations for use with it. These modifications and variations can be both playable and non-playable. Source Code is NOT public domain. You may not freely distribute it to any BBS, CD, floppy or any other media. You may not sell it or repackage it for sale.

(c) Using the Editor and/or Source Code, you may create modifications or enhancements to the Software, including the construction of new levels (collectively referred to as "Variations"), subject to the following restrictions:

i. Your Variations must only work with the full copy of the Software, not independently or with any other software.

ii. Your Variations must not contain modifications to any executable file.

iii. Your Variations must not contain any libelous, defamatory, or other illegal material, material that is scandalous or invades the rights of privacy or publicity of any third party, or contains any trademarks, copyright-protected work, or other recognizable property of third parties.

iv. At least once in every online description and with reasonable duration on the opening screen, your Variations must prominently identify (i) the names and email addresses of its creators, and (ii) the words "This add-on is not made by or supported by Monolith Productions, or any of its affiliates and subsidiaries."

v. Your Variations must be distributed solely for free. Neither you nor any other person or party may sell them to anyone, commercially exploit them in any way, or charge anyone for using them. You may exchange them at no charge among other end-users.

vi. By distributing or permitting the distribution of any of your Variations, you hereby grant back to Monolith Productions an irrevocable royalty-free right to use and distribute them by any means.

vii. The prohibitions and restrictions in this section apply to anyone in possession of the Software or any of your Variations.

9. MISCELLANEOUS. This EULA is governed by the laws of the State of Washington, U.S.A. Each of the parties hereto submits to jurisdiction in the state and federal courts sitting in King County, Washington. Should you have any questions concerning this EULA, or if you desire to contact Monolith for any reason, please write: Monolith Productions, Inc., 10516 NE 37th Circle, Kirkland, WA 98033.

Comment

This is the text blurb from the official website:

Originally posted by NoOneLivesForever.com
                    NOLF Source Code v1.003 (5.46 MB)

This package contains the source code for NOLF version 1.003. For more information, please check out the readme.txt file that’s included in this archive.

Requirements:
                    To edit and build the source code, you’ll need Microsoft’s Visual C++ version 6.0 with service pack 3 installed, Microsoft’s DirectX 8 SDK installed, and 400 MB of available disk space. To run your modifications, you’ll need to have NOLF version 1.003 installed.

Installation:
                    When the file has finished downloading, click on the archive and extract the files to a directory of your choosing. The default path is c:\NOLFSource. Once the extraction is complete, you can open the NOLF Visual C++ workspace by double clicking on the file c:\NOLFSource\NOLF\NOLF.dsw.

I think the Lithtech Engine was quite intentionally left out of the release, judging from the info on the site.

Comment

The only game I would really like to see ported (As in what I like to play right now), is Team Fortress 2.

But for a more legitimate list of candidates, I think these would be decent and might not be too difficult, but some might have some outrageous royalties:

Blizzard:

Diablo II
                      Starcraft
                      Warcraft III - I think that one would probably be the easiest of the Blizzard Games

Infinity Ward:

Call of Duty 4 - The game isn't that great in my opinion but it is very very popular. But I can tell you right now, the royalties would be enormous hence it probably shouldn't even be listed.

Valve:

Steam with Team Fortress 2 - Just my personal favorite right now.

If theres more than come to mind I'll list some others, hopefully some better candidates.

Comment

Working...
                      X