Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonlord
    replied
    Unfortunately one of my most liked most ( PoA ) works only with steam. That said the mod is hibernating currently and I don't think the community version is going to be non-steam.

Leave a comment:

• Alecz
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    ...but without it [STEAM] you can't play source mods. So much for choice isn't it?
    Well... I stopped playing those games altogether... that's the only choice I have. I know people that play CS a lot, but I am not that much into it, if at all.

There still are a lot of good games that you can play "on a deserted island".

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    It's nothing I like neither... and especially nothing I want to have on Linux in one way or the other but without it you can't play source mods. So much for choice isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Alecz
    replied
    I don't understand why people are so excited about STEAM, and say that it's great.

I tried STEAM for a couple of weeks and could never get connected. Needless to say I didn't buy any STEAM game because of that.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    ROFLMAO!!!

That is one of the funniest things I ever read!

Leave a comment:

• Ex-Cyber
    replied
    Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
    Seconded Does anybody else even know of any software product that uses DRM on Linux.
    Well, there's Linux Genuine Advantage. It may be satire, but the code is real. There's even a crack for it on The Pirate Bay...

On a more serious note, a lot of "serious" software apparently uses some form of DRM (e.g. Oracle, EDA packages from the likes of Cadence, Mentor, etc.), but I couldn't readily find details on how invasive they are.

Leave a comment:

• niniendowarrior
    replied
    *Yawn*

You have a problem, settle it with LGP.

Leave a comment:

• Max Spain
    replied
    Originally posted by SarahKH View Post
    Now, precisely how long will it be until the Linux version of SecuROM or StarForce trundles along, asks for root and we end up being bent over? You all know how it starts. Piracy this, piracy that, piracy my rear! No, really, piracy my rear (it's got a cannon and a little Jolly Rodger flag and stuff). Sooner or later, once they figure out people are 'Ok' with this little intrusion, they'll move the post and move it again and again until we're fighting the same damn battles over Linux that we are in the Windows gaming world.
    Seconded Does anybody else even know of any software product that uses DRM on Linux. I certainly haven't heard of one (and that is a very good thing ) I really hope this won't open the floodgates...

Leave a comment:

• SarahKH
    replied
    Hmm. Linux. Game copy protection. How about no? How about, the hell I'm letting that loose on my system. Fine, it's one, teeny tiny little SSL encrypted check to a website. That's what they said about CD-Keys.

Now, precisely how long will it be until the Linux version of SecuROM or StarForce trundles along, asks for root and we end up being bent over? You all know how it starts. Piracy this, piracy that, piracy my rear! No, really, piracy my rear (it's got a cannon and a little Jolly Rodger flag and stuff). Sooner or later, once they figure out people are 'Ok' with this little intrusion, they'll move the post and move it again and again until we're fighting the same damn battles over Linux that we are in the Windows gaming world.

I tolerate Steam. I cancelled Mass Effect and Spore orders because of EA's shenanigans. I. DO. NOT. LIKE. BEING. TREATED. LIKE. A. THIEF. Because here's the thing. If am being treated like one, I might as well be one, right?

Leave a comment:

• me262
    replied
    Google cache and the web archives are your friend.
    You can probably still put orders through too, just need their phone number. If their ISP is down, the email's probably down too, unless it routes differently.
    Last edited by me262; 06 August 2008, 01:28 PM. Reason: Just because they're down, doesn't mean they can't do business.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X