No announcement yet.

LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hahah. Yeah, that would suck if that happened.
    Heck it could be the reason for the downtime.

That's what I like about offsite hosting.
    You may be at the mercy of their problems, but it's their problem most of the time (malformed PHP and CGI can cause problems too).
    Dreamhost runs Ubuntu based systems, and I keep getting room and bandwidth!

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
      Hahah. Yeah, that would suck if that happened.
      Heck it could be the reason for the downtime.
      You mean this downtime or some in the future?
      Anyway, their online presence is really clumsy. It's not that expensive to create a decent webpage - in their case it would be relatively small and quick to implement, but for some odd reason they have chosen to stay 90s in that area. And IMHO, their downtimes just worsen the image further...

That's what I like about offsite hosting.
      You may be at the mercy of their problems, but it's their problem most of the time (malformed PHP and CGI can cause problems too).
      Dreamhost runs Ubuntu based systems, and I keep getting room and bandwidth!
      How about some decent software? Last time I checked they did not support PostgreSQL database...

Comment

• Also www.tuxgames.com has the same problem.

As far as www.linuxgamepublishing.com goes I have been unable to access their site for over a week.

I don't know what the deal is... but I'd like to try the demo for the X2 and X3 in 3 weeks when I get home. I hope the site will work by then

Comment

• Originally posted by Alecz View Post
          Also www.tuxgames.com has the same problem.

As far as www.linuxgamepublishing.com goes I have been unable to access their site for over a week.
          The deal is, both sites belong to the same company and have been probably hosted at the same place.

Comment

• I don't mean to be rude or anything but how can you "create the image" of a company in Linux Websites and Magazines if their website is down for weeks?

As of right now I can't tell my friends or anyone about LGP...

Comment

• Google cache and the web archives are your friend.
              You can probably still put orders through too, just need their phone number. If their ISP is down, the email's probably down too, unless it routes differently.
              Last edited by me262; 06 August 2008, 01:28 PM. Reason: Just because they're down, doesn't mean they can't do business.

Comment

• Hmm. Linux. Game copy protection. How about no? How about, the hell I'm letting that loose on my system. Fine, it's one, teeny tiny little SSL encrypted check to a website. That's what they said about CD-Keys.

Now, precisely how long will it be until the Linux version of SecuROM or StarForce trundles along, asks for root and we end up being bent over? You all know how it starts. Piracy this, piracy that, piracy my rear! No, really, piracy my rear (it's got a cannon and a little Jolly Rodger flag and stuff). Sooner or later, once they figure out people are 'Ok' with this little intrusion, they'll move the post and move it again and again until we're fighting the same damn battles over Linux that we are in the Windows gaming world.

I tolerate Steam. I cancelled Mass Effect and Spore orders because of EA's shenanigans. I. DO. NOT. LIKE. BEING. TREATED. LIKE. A. THIEF. Because here's the thing. If am being treated like one, I might as well be one, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by SarahKH View Post
                  Now, precisely how long will it be until the Linux version of SecuROM or StarForce trundles along, asks for root and we end up being bent over? You all know how it starts. Piracy this, piracy that, piracy my rear! No, really, piracy my rear (it's got a cannon and a little Jolly Rodger flag and stuff). Sooner or later, once they figure out people are 'Ok' with this little intrusion, they'll move the post and move it again and again until we're fighting the same damn battles over Linux that we are in the Windows gaming world.
                  Seconded Does anybody else even know of any software product that uses DRM on Linux. I certainly haven't heard of one (and that is a very good thing ) I really hope this won't open the floodgates...

Comment

• *Yawn*

You have a problem, settle it with LGP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
                      Seconded Does anybody else even know of any software product that uses DRM on Linux.
                      Well, there's Linux Genuine Advantage. It may be satire, but the code is real. There's even a crack for it on The Pirate Bay...

On a more serious note, a lot of "serious" software apparently uses some form of DRM (e.g. Oracle, EDA packages from the likes of Cadence, Mentor, etc.), but I couldn't readily find details on how invasive they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X